Any reason I couldn't use this as a tone cap in a guitar?

ToneCapMan

TDPRI Member
Just found this kit on Amazon:
View attachment 941655 They managed to build one EXACTLY like what I'd request!
CTS 250K pots, 4-way Oak Grigsby, Switchcraft jack, top hat switch knob, and last but not least ...
my all-time favorite cap, Soviet NOS .033 paper in oil! I absolutely love those!
And the whole shootin' match is $35!!!
Here's a link:

You can get the caps ala carte as well:

View attachment 941657

I've seen those, they are very nice as well!

ToneCapMan

TDPRI Member
Avoid the electrolytics. I can't think why at the moment.

Often the main difference is the voltage they can tolerate. A guitar pickup generates about a ...... couple thousandths of ... one. Volt. So, the cheapest tiny ceramic caps will also work fine.

But it will eat at your soul to know... I get it. 😁
Yes, I actually like the cheapo blue ceramic caps that cost like 40 cents. Because they're so small and lightweight I feel like they are less likely to become loose or move around in there over time if the solder joint is not strong enough, too.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I like original Chinese electronics in my guitars so I can get those vibes impossible to get in expensive vintage American made instruments.

How old is Chinese culture? Many thousands of years older.

True. Kung Fu was developed about 3000 years before Jesus came on the scene.
However, the electric guitar is an invention of American origin, so maybe US parts should work best?

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
True. Kung Fu was developed about 3000 years before Jesus came on the scene.
However, the electric guitar is an invention of American origin, so maybe US parts should work best?
The earliest guitar pickups in the 1920s were more like transducers, so we should probably replace crappy magnetic pickups with those because older is better.