Any reason I couldn't use this as a tone cap in a guitar?

ToneCapMan

TDPRI Member
Seems like the answer should be yes, but the website lists in them in a different section than "guitar caps" and the description mentions they are good for amps but says nothing about guitars. I want to stick them in a Les Paul with humbuckers. I know I don't NEED 500v caps & they are unnecessarily expensive but I'm basing my decision on aesthetic.

They just look cool!

EDIT: Just looked a pics of them and they seem kind of big. Like bigger than bumble bees.

ToneCapMan

TDPRI Member
They just look cool? Who’s gonna see?
You know how very ancient prehistoric humans used to create elaborate wall paintings in underground caves that were always in complete darkness & no one could see them unless they somehow managed to bring fire a half a mile deep into the rocks? Well, my guitar is like those sacred caves to me. And even though the beauty of the cavity wiring will rarely be seen be even ME, it will enrich my spirit to know that there is excellent, precision electrical wiring done with the most beautiful components in there.
Lascaux_painting.jpeg

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
You know how very ancient prehistoric humans used to create elaborate wall paintings in underground caves that were always in complete darkness & no one could see them unless they somehow managed to bring fire a half a mile deep into the rocks? Well, my guitar is like those sacred caves to me. And even though the beauty of the cavity wiring will rarely be seen be even ME, it will enrich my spirit to know that there is excellent, precision electrical wiring done with the most beautiful components in there. View attachment 941633
This post actually made my day. :)

moosie

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
So you can use ANY capacitor in the world inside of a guitar, huh? Interesting.
Avoid the electrolytics. I can't think why at the moment.

Often the main difference is the voltage they can tolerate. A guitar pickup generates about a ...... couple thousandths of ... one. Volt. So, the cheapest tiny ceramic caps will also work fine.

But it will eat at your soul to know... I get it. 😁

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Just found this kit on Amazon:
1642545902743.png
They managed to build one EXACTLY like what I'd request!
CTS 250K pots, 4-way Oak Grigsby, Switchcraft jack, top hat switch knob, and last but not least ...
my all-time favorite cap, Soviet NOS .033 paper in oil! I absolutely love those!
And the whole shootin' match is $35!!!
Here's a link:

You can get the caps ala carte as well:

1642546082968.png

JSMac

Tele-Afflicted
Just found this kit on Amazon:
View attachment 941655 They managed to build one EXACTLY like what I'd request!
CTS 250K pots, 4-way Oak Grigsby, Switchcraft jack, top hat switch knob, and last but not least ...
my all-time favorite cap, Soviet NOS .033 paper in oil! I absolutely love those!
And the whole shootin' match is $35!!!
Here's a link:

You can get the caps ala carte as well:

View attachment 941657

I have a box full of those Russian PIO “tone caps” bit they so big that I’ve never used them in a guitar circuit. Given the purpose of a guitar cap I really doubt that it would make any difference anyway.

Kevin Wolfe

Tele-Holic
.022 400v Bumblebees and Sprague BBs are 1 1/8"---those old ladies at Gibson didn't seem to have a problem. Grey Tigers are even longer.
I’ve used the Sozo caps in amps and they’re considerably fatter than a Bumblebee. It ain’t just a length difference.
I have a box full of those Russian PIO “tone caps” bit they so big that I’ve never used them in a guitar circuit. Given the purpose of a guitar cap I really doubt that it would make any difference anyway.
I have some of those in a Paul and they fit fine but you are correct about making no difference because they’re not in the signal path but going to ground.
I‘ve lately been using the tiny green “Chiclet” caps in guitars. I can get a bag full for the same money a one Sozo. You can see one here on top of the OD cap. You can also see a a Xicon in there too. This is an Esquire with an Arlo mod and I just used whatever I had laying around the shop.
In my experience, it’s the cap value and not the type or size or anything else that makes the difference.

Attachments

• 21AFF3B0-C4A3-473B-A62D-645AE0EB4BBC.jpeg
    21AFF3B0-C4A3-473B-A62D-645AE0EB4BBC.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 19

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
You know how very ancient prehistoric humans used to create elaborate wall paintings in underground caves that were always in complete darkness & no one could see them unless they somehow managed to bring fire a half a mile deep into the rocks? Well, my guitar is like those sacred caves to me. And even though the beauty of the cavity wiring will rarely be seen be even ME, it will enrich my spirit to know that there is excellent, precision electrical wiring done with the most beautiful components in there. View attachment 941633
I like original Chinese electronics in my guitars so I can get those vibes impossible to get in expensive vintage American made instruments.

How old is Chinese culture? Many thousands of years older.