"any real professional guitarist likes low action, as low as possible"

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Vespa_One, Aug 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

lol, I meant mm but nobody noticed.

Zaxxon likes this.
  2. paulnoise

paulnoise Tele-Meister

I always assume professional means regular paid work.
    I suppose expert means the same skills as say a session musician and proficient in many styles.
    An amateur to me is between learner (knowing a few chords and a couple of songs) and professional.
    Despite being in a working band and being paid, I still need a full time job do I guess semi pro for me.
    Anyway.... I play with low action on the guitars I play at paid gigs*. The guitar I play for fun has slightly high action and my bass guitars have very low action. Live I play Hagstroms which have a naturally lower action. I do plan on reducing the action on my fun guitar a bit as its a little high right now.

3. SnowStorm

SnowStorm Tele-Meister

Abso-frigin-lutely! (90s man went full low action.)

4. stratguy23

stratguy23 TDPRI Member

I prefer medium to high action. I like 11 gauge strings. I played another guy's guitar yesterday that was set up more for metal, so it was tuned down to drop C and had 10-52 strings with low action, and I really struggled to play leads on it. I need some room to dig in to play the way I like to, and I like some resistance from the strings.

5. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

Since this seems to have gone from "what professionals prefer" to "what TDPRI members prefer" I'll to mine out there. I look for slightly different things depending on the guitar and how I use it. In all cases, I'm gunning for virtually no buzz acoustically on any fret and certainly nothing you could hear coming through the amp. I play heavier rhythms, drop D, and slide on my Les Paul so the action higher on that one. My tele is the lowest, slinkiest, and has a compound radius so that's my go to for lead stuff. The strat is an all 'rounder so it's middle of the road but the strings heights are set so I can catch the ones I'm shooting for more easily on upstrokes and rakes when I'm really digging in. Each is a little bit different so it just takes me a couple of minutes when I first pick one up to run through a few licks and settle in.

Vespa_One likes this.
  6. Paully

Paully Tele-Meister

I'm the exact opposite of a pro :D
    Maybe that's why I like my action a little
    high and my strings a bit thick.

Vespa_One likes this.
  7. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

I think it depends on how much strumming you do. I'm low to medium action, as I strum and play a lot of chords, and also finger pick a bit. I also, use a thick pick. On a three pickup guitar I hit the middle pickup a bit if action is to low.

Vespa_One likes this.
  8. J. Hayes

J. Hayes Friend of Leo's

I've always used very low action since the sixties when I first met a great guitarist in LA by the name of Al Bruno.. Al is gone now but his influence on me is still very noticeable.... He could fly all over a fretboard and used a lot of pull offs and hammer ons..... Al was the first one I noticed who used a hybrid style (right hand pick and fingers) with a flat pick. I use a thumbpick myself but the low action does the trick for me... I played in the LA area in the sixties, seventies and half way through the eighties and the vast majority of the country lead players used low action. I don't know what the rockers did but I was in the "hillbilly scene"......JH in Va.

Vespa_One likes this.
  9. Festus_Hagen

Festus_Hagen Tele-Holic

I want mine to touch the PUPS and the first fret. Sounds purfect that way. :p

Seriously, I try to get mine as low as I can without buzz. Just always have.

Vespa_One likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.