1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any Pool Players Out There?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stanford Guitar, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

As a public service to my fellow guitar players, I’d just like to say that I tried to play in the pool once and suffered a very bad electrical shock.

So no, not a pool player. I’ll stick to dry environments after that experience.

Stanford Guitar likes this.
  2. Stanford Guitar

Stanford Guitar Tele-Afflicted

That cue in the photo is a 1996 Southwest. Probably about $5k or a bit more.

I have another Tim Scruggs sneaky pete with 2 predator shafts ....about $2k.

Not really serious about parting with these yet as they have a long history and sentimental value, but may change one day if I don't start back playing.

3. Stanford Guitar

I played on the road a little bit in the summers while I was in college, mainly gambling with a backer. I was supposed to go to Baltimore on a road trip one time, and couldn't make it. The guys I was supposed to go with ended up getting robbed in Baltimore at pool room and left broke about 500 miles from home. Glad I wasn't on that trip!

electrichead likes this.
  4. rockhound

rockhound TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

My father-in-law was a competitive 9-ball player in the '70s & '80s (John 'Jack' Madden). He is retired from competition and now makes custom cues. My wife and her siblings all grew up shooting pool. Needless to say when we bought our house we had to get a table for when he comes over to visit.
    At 76 yrs old 'Jackie' can still whoop most average players. I have somewhat learned a few things from him over the years but I'm still below average when it comes to playing. A nice perk is that all the cues we own are custom made Madden-cues.

electrichead and Stanford Guitar like this.
  5. Stanford Guitar

I bet he has some great stories. His era was the golden era of pool. Names like Jersey Red, Strawberry Brooks, Boston Shorty.....I'm sure he knew them all. There were so many good road players in that era that were never really well known to the general public.

electrichead likes this.
  6. rockhound

rockhound TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

He sure has some stories. His basement in Montana is like a hall of fame exhibition of pool players. Tons of pics from that era (personalized, tournaments, etc.). I'll mention the names in your post next time we chat and see how he reacts.

7. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Had a table in my bedroom when I was 10 (Dad left the table when he split so I moved in with the table). Did the barroom pool league for a few years : I'd say a decent player, no more no less. Bad thing about shooting pool in bars is that there is always "that guy" who is a better fighter than pool player and who wants to "make it interesting $$$" . You beat him fair and square but his memory becomes cloudy where the house rules are concerned. ("that aint how we play in ...Fill in a city...)
    Rules to ponder...Never gamble with a guy who's name begins with a city or state.

8. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

The secret is in the stick? I have beaten many a boy that brought their own cased stick into a bar.

I never gambled much in pool, but I have on different occasions. I used to sit back and watch the play unfold. If I thought that I could beat the guy holding the table, I’d put my money up.

9. Stanford Guitar

When I bought the Southwest cue it wasn't as expensive, they have gone up in value tremendously since and have a cult following among players. For me, it's the best cue I've ever played with.

The greatest player ever, Efren Reyes, doesn't use an expensive cue. But it's a cue he likes.

electrichead likes this.
  10. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Keep the cue. It obviously doesn’t take up much room and contains memories of your life. Don’t sell your memories.

HotRodSteve and Stanford Guitar like this.
  11. lgherb

lgherb Tele-Meister

I have an early 1960s Brunswick Gold Crown I that is scheduled to be professionally re-assembled on the 30th of this month. We are finally finishing our basement remodeling project.

Can't wait.

This is what it looked like when it was last assembled at our previous house over 10 years ago:

[​IMG]

12. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I was very good when I was a kid, about 7 or 8. We lived in a warehouse loft with my dad's friend, and there was a bar sized pool table in the place. I played against myself, probably at least 10 games a day, for the period of about 18 months that we lived there. Never learned anything "tricky" or "amazing," but I could do probably 90 percent of what I intended to do with my shots. None of the adults could routinely beat me, even the guy who owned the table.

Basically haven't played since – just here and there.

13. Stanford Guitar

I've put many hours on a Gold Crown! Room I used to practice in had a tight triple shimmed Gold Crown IV.

electrichead and lgherb like this.
  14. Stanford Guitar

Most professional gamblers are good to gamble with. They want to stay in action, so they don't want the word to get around that they did something wrong to someone. But most of those guys want to play for big money, so you have to come prepared to play, and pay if you lose as they usually have partners on the action many of whom are very serious guys. It's the nickel-dime guys that you have to worry about, who get mad over losing $100 and that nonsense. The most dangerous part of a pool room is the parking lot.

Playing pool for money was exciting when I was younger. But at the time I didn't realize just how dangerous some of those places could be. I have better judgment now!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    electrichead and MickM like this.
  15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Had a full size table at work for many years and got pretty good at it. Worked in Ireland and got to show off my long shot skills at Snooker. I could hold my own, but could never keep up with the pints intake.:oops:

There was another ancient billiard game in Ireland using the cue stick in a whole new way. Fun, but never could get the hang of it. Fun times with fun people there. If I went back to Ireland for a visit, I'd be hanging out at the snooker tables every night.

BTW, sold my stick just before moving to Montana about 23 years ago.

16. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I LOVE Pool.
    Too bad I stink the place up with how badly I play.

17. Stanford Guitar

It only matters that you enjoy it.

String Tree likes this.
  18. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

True that!

19. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Most of the pubs in Oz have a pool table.... often it's a winners table and you play for beers.... keep winning, keep getting free beer until the beer takes over and your game goes off...:lol:

20. lgherb

lgherb Tele-Meister

My wife and I finally got the basement remodeling project to a point of completion where I hired a billiard company to come out and re-assemble my table. New rubber cushions were put on it (the original rubber bumpers were almost 60 years old and started showing signs of dry rot in some spots) and a slate gray color of Simonis cloth now cover the table.

I am very happy with the results and my wife and I have been having fun playing 8-ball and rediscovering our collection of vinyl records.

[​IMG]

One cool thing is that the date stamp mark on some of the castings showed a date that was exactly 3 weeks after the day I was born in 1963.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.