1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any point to a wet/dry rig if I only use 1 pedal?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Roscoe295, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 TDPRI Member

I’m about to get my ‘64 Gibson Scout amp (GA17-RVT w/reverb & tremolo) back - needed work on the reverb tank. I also have a PRRI. I love both amps but the Gibson breaks up earlier (modded) while the PRRI has a bit more fullness & headroom.

Up ‘til now I’ve only used one at a time & with primarily 1 pedal (BB Xotic preamp) for small/moderate overdrive. I’ve added in a Caline Eq to tweak things but that’s it. I use reverb about 90% of the time & will use tremolo fairly often as well.

Clearly I’m not a big pedal guy. Not averse to delay, etc. - just hasn’t tickled me enough to buy one.

But now with the Gibson amp coming back I’m entertaining snagging a Fulltone ABY & trialing a wet/dry rig. So if I’m going to use the tremolo and/or reverb in these combo amps, would I even get those sonic tones that others would get with a larger pedal board?

As always, an TDPRI genius insight is much appreciated.

Deathray likes this.
  2. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Yes, absolutely. It's extremely fun to play with 2 different amps, even if it doesn't necessarily translate to a band setting.

Does the Fulltone have ground-lift and phase inversion features? Maybe not necessary for your specific situation, but if it is necessary, then it's noticeably necessary (thin, weak sound, seeming quieter than one amp by itself / ground loop resulting in loud hum).

Roscoe295, Deathray and JuneauMike like this.
  3. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, I went down this road. And what I figured out was that the best way to run a dependable wet/dry rig was to use an active A/B-Y pedal. Sucks, but yep.

They get to the point at 11:15.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    Deathray and Roscoe295 like this.
  4. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 TDPRI Member

Yes, the Fulltone has the phase inverter & helps with the ground loop thing. Looked at a few other ABY pedals but the Fulltone appears to get some favorable reviews (however this is new territory for me)

W.L.Weller, JuneauMike and Deathray like this.
  5. Deathray

Deathray Tele-Afflicted

The Fulltone ABY is a great choice, and yes, it does have ground lift and phase inversion.

I love playing wet/dry with my amps. It sounds HUGE. I love having reverb on one side only. It really delivers the stereo feel.

W.L.Weller, Roscoe295 and JuneauMike like this.
  6. JuneauMike

Yep. I did the Radial Twin City A/B-Y. But there's more than a few on the market, and I think I settled on the cheapest I could find that was active and had some mechanism to reverse phase and lift the ground.

You don't always get phase and ground loop problems when you run wet-dry, but when you do you need to have a plan to correct them. A simple switch is a really convenient plan.

Buying an active switching box was less fun than buying a new dishwasher. But that's what the job called for.

Deathray, W.L.Weller and Roscoe295 like this.
  7. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I ran wet/dry for awhile at home as a way to put my Acoustasonic Jr. to work after I decided I was not into amplifying acoustic guitars. With the tweeter disconnected (and removed, creating a port in the previously closed-back cab) it was pretty much like using a Princeton Chorus or something as the wet amp.

The AJr. had a nice spring reverb and lush stereo chorus. I liked setting it up clean, with more reverb than I might normally use, and the chorus on a fairly fast rate but shallow sweep, to simulate a subtle Leslie effect.

Paired with any of a few different small amps doing kind of a dry rhythm crunch, or was pretty cool. By varying the wet/dry balance, it was like pushing the reverb return fader channel on a mixing board.

I split the signal to the two amps with my old DOD FX65 chorus. I didn’t have phase or noise issues. Switching on the DOD chorus also made a different flavor of chorus the swept into the dry amp too. Usually I didn’t do that, but it was another flavor to play with.

Deathray and Roscoe295 like this.
  8. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Does your scout have the speaker driven line out?

9. David C

David C Tele-Meister

I like the A/B setups just because of the stereo effect and different voicings of the amps played at the same time. I have used the Fulltone products and think he makes high quality gear. I used the Radial for my A/B purposes. Depending on the amps I want to play, I move the effects pedals either before the splitter or after. I think the impact of two amps is fantastic and any more I have a hard time playing one amp at a time.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Deathray likes this.
  10. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 TDPRI Member

No... just two line inputs (she's an oldie but a goodie). I was hoping someone would pickup on that (solid work). Given that it's a '64 and without any additional built-in effects options, I want to be sure that this amp would be suitable with an ABY pedal. The Gibson Scout & PRRI aren't that far off in terms of wattage. The Fulltone should address any potential Phase & ground loop concerns... but I don't know what I don't know. And these old amps are great, but they scare me a little (electronically speaking).

11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I've not tried it live in a band setting (I should), but at the house, its a pretty spectacular experience. Two amps with two effects set almost exactly the same, is an incredible spatial experience. I need to try it live.

JuneauMike and Roscoe295 like this.
  12. bottlenecker

A lot of pre-65 gibson amps have a speaker driven line out, which is why I asked. It's not hard to add. A gibson scout is a marvelous thing to connect a pickup directly to, and a solid state buffer is not so much.
    The speaker driven line out would give you whatever dirt the amp is producing in the line out, so it seems like it'd be really cool to send to a wet amp

Roscoe295 likes this.
  13. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 TDPRI Member

So I don't have the Scout back yet (so I can't check), but I just did a quick search & it appears the Gibson Scout does not have a line out (evidently your idea of adding a line out has been done before with the Scout & with great success). But I'm a novice with this stuff so could you clarify the purpose of the solid state buffer?

Also, I've read most wet/dry rigs use OD with the 'dry' amp and split the signal to other effects (ie. chorus, delay, reverb) then send to the 'wet' amp. Is it common to send a dirty signal to the wet amp also (as you stated above)?

14. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Oh yeah! I'm going to be trying a scratch-build of an ABY shortly because there are specific things that I want it to be able to do that nothing I've seen on the market offers, but it's something I've wanted to do for a long time now. I want to be able to split different signal types, such as magnetic and piezo pickups from the same guitar or quickly toggle between differently-voiced amps. Or just play two in stereo, a Twin and an AC30 running together is one of the best sounds ever and it's massive.

Roscoe295 likes this.
  15. bottlenecker

An active a/b/y would be an example of a solid state buffer. I really like my guitar connected to an amp first. It seems more responsive. Most people probably don't care.

Line out to a wet amp is probably not common. Most wet/dry people seem to be more pedal people than amp people. I don't have an out on my gibson either and have never tried it. Next time I get some free soldering time, I'm adding speaker driven reverb, which is technically adding a wet amp, but through a reverb tank.

Roscoe295 likes this.
  16. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 TDPRI Member

Got it. Thanks... much appreciated. Good stuff.

17. JuneauMike

Some Boss pedals also pan their stereo picture so running a wet-dry rig opens up that feature. My Boss DD-7 does that. Cool stuff.

18. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 TDPRI Member

I'm definitely gonna give the wet/dry rig trick a whirl. Curious if anyone else has any additional suggestions or tricks about putting together a simple wet/dry rig (amp spacing, etc.)? Other ABY pedals preferred over the Fulltone?

19. David C

David C Tele-Meister

I wouldn't say preferred over Fulltone, but Radial makes several different ones and their quality is excellent.

Roscoe295 likes this.
  20. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 TDPRI Member

Just snagged a Fulltone ABY on Reverb and can’t wait to set this up. Thanks again for the info.

And I should take my foot out of my mouth now - stated earlier that delay pedals hadn’t “tickled me” enough to buy. Well the $19 Behringer Vintage Delay tickled me (and with a gift card) cost me nothing out of pocket... worth a shot IMO.

Thanks again for the help with my new sonic landscape.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.