Any Plumbers here?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 2HBStrat, Sep 20, 2021.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

I have a leak in a bathroom sink. So I checked Google on how to fix it. I turned the water off, took the knob off, unscrewed the screw thing, then popped out the other thing, the plastic washer and spring. Then I replaced them all. Improved but still leaking. Now I'm sitting here with my water turned off.

Is it time to call a plumber?

2. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Is this a single-handle Delta faucet that is leaking? Do you mean that it drips in the off position or it leaks elsewhere?

Or is the drain leaking?

Aren’t there shutoff valves for the faucet only so that you don’t have to shut off the water for the whole house?

Obsessed and dented like this.
  3. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hard to say without seeing pictures of what kind of faucet you have there. If it's a cheap faucet, often they aren't even worth trying to repair. By the time they leak there's so much corrosion it's not even worth trying.

If it's the kind that is in three separate holes, they can be a little tricky to install, but if it's a one-piece unit they're fairly easy to install. You'd probably save a lot of money if you didn't call a plumber and just installed one yourself, if you have a little bit of skills.

But if you do call a plumber, just don't call one like George Brazil, where the plumber only makes a tiny portion of what they charge. Go on the nextdoor app or something else like that, and just find a guy working on his own with good reviews.

TomBrokaw likes this.
  4. Sparky472

Sparky472 Tele-Holic

Not a whole lot of info to go in in your post but you might need to replace the seat as well, not just the cartridge and o-rings. You can see what that is in this video:

5. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Separate handles for hot and cold. The cold is leaking pretty badly in the off position. There is no interior shutoff.

6. tap4154

I've never seen a bathroom sink faucet that didn't have shut-off valves under the sink. Are you sure there's no valves under the sink?

Obsessed, SnidelyWhiplash and decibel like this.
  7. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’d go tonight to the nearest big-box store and buy a new faucet for $40 and replace what you’ve got and get out of a jam. You can get a better faucet next time.

tap4154 and TomBrokaw like this.
  8. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

There should be angle stops to shut off the hot and cold water to the fixture.
    Make sure the cartridge you are replacing is the correct one. Also some silicone grease on the o-rings helps

9. decibel

decibel Tele-Meister

Exactly. Instead of turning the water off in the entire house just turn it off under the sink for the faucet that's leaking.

Speaking of those valves, I turn mine about halfway "off" to restrict flow (we have too much pressure, even with a pressure regulator). Will this cause damage to them?

10. tap4154

No that shouldn't hurt them at all. In fact angle stops should be turned on and off once a year, just so they don't freeze. But having it halfway turned on won't hurt it. Although I have seen some of the twist down valves that leak in between on and off. Quarter turns normally don't.

posttoastie and decibel like this.
  11. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

No..not a Plumber..:rolleyes:...

but, I've just been under the house cutting in a new grey water diverter tap under my sink drain pipe to run the water out into the garden....

works a treat...:)

DSCN3967.JPG DSCN3970.JPG

Obsessed likes this.
  12. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Replace the cartridge or get a new faucet. Replacing o-rings and washers has been a fool's errand IMO.

13. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If your faucet is like the type in Sparkey's picture (Delta or Delta Clone) your cartridge could be worn and not just the seat and springs. If it is all plastic you might be able to polish the surface flat if it appears worn or replace the entire cartridge. You can inspect the faucet when you have the stem out to see if there are any defects in the body or debris under the seats. If you don't have valves under the sink it would be a great idea to install some while the water is shut off. If all else fails put a new faucet in.

TomBrokaw likes this.
  14. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

I think it would be beyond my "skill" level. And I don't have great tools, either.

Yes...

As I said, there aren't any.

15. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

That's exactly what I did except mine has a spring and a rubber sleeve that goes over it that the cartridge sits on. The old sleeve had a small tear which I guess was the problem. I did have some improvement but it is still leaking a steady stream. Is there anything else I can try before starting to look for a handy man or plumber?

16. tap4154

Then I would look for a independent plumber, and again stay away from the big places like George Brazil. They'll charge you an arm and a leg.

To be honest, changing out bath sink faucets can be very difficult. If they've been on there a long time, sometimes I have to cut them off. Also can be very difficult to access depending on how your cabinet is built. And if you change out the drain pipe and sink flange, that can be a real challenge as well.

Would be nice if you'd post a picture, of the faucet and underneath. I'm very curious because I've never in my 40 years of working seen a bath sink faucet without angle stops underneath the sink.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  17. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Holic

If you hire a plumber or handyman, and there truly are no shutoff valves under the sink, have him put them in

Obsessed and tap4154 like this.
  18. stomped box

stomped box Tele-Meister

I'm not even sure how you could do that in modern times, or it to have been done that way and stayed that way without needing repair for such a long time and no one ever doing it right. Everything on the fixture end is threaded. You wouldn't be able to finish plumbing the place and turn the water on until all the fixtures were in and you'd run copper to the bathroom sink, and somehow soldered the plumbing in place behind the bowl.

19. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Holic

Soft copper, flare tool, and the correct flanges/or compression fittings. I have seen it done

20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Yup, you need a plumber. Watch the plumber do the job and learn from it for the next time. I have five sinks and five different assemblies, so unless it is a very traditional, very modern home, you could end up with a mess that will cost even more by the time a plumber is called to fix.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.