Any Pink Floyd Fans Out There?

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
To answer the question, yes I'm a fan of Pink Floyd -- everything up to The Final Cut, but their post-Waters records can't keep my attention. (Neither can Roger's post-Floyd records!)

Regarding Fat Old Sun, Gilmour certainly used his Tele for that in recent years - I thought it was a Tele on the original record but maybe not.

For some reason I thought it was a Tele. As someone else pointed out, Gilmourish.com lists all the gear for each album and he has it as a Strat.

It didn't make sense that the song is in the key of G but had an F chord (vs F#dim). I found out later that bands flat the 7 chord in rock.

Thanks for sharing the video. Never seen that before. I wonder why Nick Mason isn't playing drums..

Last edited:

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
I havent recorded any but I learned , Time, Breathe, Astronomy Domine, Us & Them, Wish you were here, and a feeble attempt at echoes . The one lesson I learned was the whole of their sound is not dependant on one member it was the sum of all the parts

most of their albums were a play off of the the same chord structures , that way they could move fluidly from one song to the next bridging each with an in Key noodling that tied it all together.

i have been a fan since i was 10 years old the middle guitar pick is David Gilmour's

View attachment 939630 View attachment 939631
I have a sheet music book called Pink Floyd Anthology and it has a lot of their songs up to DSOTM. There is a lot of tab on the internet too.

bholder

Tele-Meister
Gold Supporter
I think DSOTM was the first album I ever bought for myself. And I believe A Nice Pair was next (Piper At The Gates Of Dawn and Saucerful Of Secrets). Ah, those were the days, remember saving allowance and trying and failing to be good... hehe...

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
Pink Floyd was one of the most creative bands out there. Especially Meddle onwards. The early Sid stuff comes off like a Parody of a band at times. Roger's concept albums were all great works. Between Richard Wright's keys and Gilmour's guitar work, the music paints a real landscape. Not just a description of colors and emotion, but how it feels to be there.

Freeman Keller

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm recording some PF songs that have a Telecaster into a Digitech Trio (haven't built a new DAW yet). I already did Corporal Clegg and am doing Astronomy Domine right now. Dogs and Sheep from the Animals album were also on Teles but they are a bit long. I had also recorded Fat Old Sun with my Strat and the outro solo is fun to play. What sucks is that I can't sing though. It is still all fun to play.

Anyone else doing something similar? I'm doing a few Yes songs after that with my George Benson guitar. Steve Howe has a few Tele songs but they are long.

My 16 year old daughter is tired of hearing me talk about this so I thought I would share here...

I had an interesting experience the other day. A local guitarist (and good friend) contacted me and asked if I would assemble a "David Gilmour black strat" for him. He was part of a group who is putting together the Dark Side music and wanted a guitar with the correct switching to try to get close to Gimour's sound.

The guitar isn't a perfect clone but it does have the additional toggle switches and some of Gilmour's other features.

IMG_7053.JPG

IMG_7054.JPG

Since I am not a part of the project I don't want to talk too much about it on an open forum like this, but if you are really interested in what they are doing PM me and I'll give you some contact information.

Oh, and when they asked me how much to put the guitar together I said "two tickets to the show"

archiestone

TDPRI Member
So I get to Pompeii and ask the tour guide, 'Where is the amphitheater Pink Floyd played in the 'Pompeii' movie?"
She answered, "Oh that's not here, that's about 16 km away in Herculaneum."
I was crushed; I only had time to visit Pompeii. Maybe next time...

Last edited:

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
I had an interesting experience the other day. A local guitarist (and good friend) contacted me and asked if I would assemble a "David Gilmour black strat" for him. He was part of a group who is putting together the Dark Side music and wanted a guitar with the correct switching to try to get close to Gimour's sound.

The guitar isn't a perfect clone but it does have the additional toggle switches and some of Gilmour's other features.

View attachment 939756

View attachment 939757

Since I am not a part of the project I don't want to talk too much about it on an open forum like this, but if you are really interested in what they are doing PM me and I'll give you some contact information.

Oh, and when they asked me how much to put the guitar together I said "two tickets to the show"
I bought the book "The Black Strat" which has a lot of info on that guitar. Pretty interesting..

jkingma

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been a serious PF fan since I was a kid. I remember hearing Animals for the first time on an 8 track in my cousin's car shortly after it was released. It has been my favorite album ever since. I would guess that I have listened to it, on average, once a week since then. Seriously.

1970 to 1977 were the best years IMO. Really cannot listen to The Wall or The Final Cut anymore.

I remember when I was in college, I was up late doing some homework and the DJ on the radio station I listened to back then put on Echoes. When it was done, he commented on how much he loved the song and then proceeded to play it again. I'll never forget that.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I have a sheet music book called Pink Floyd Anthology and it has a lot of their songs up to DSOTM. There is a lot of tab on the internet too.
I cant remember where i learned some of the songs , I was in a band and one of the guys would bring in some music and we went from there, astronomy Domine , was something I learned years ago and I was facinated by the use of the first position E flat chord and i figured out the rest . same with wish you were here one of the guys had about 80% of the song and we got the rest , Fearless is one of my favoritess to play, when I worked for the Black Crowes they did a smoking rendition live . set the controls is a no brainer but fun to play

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
The lyrics and the music. Agreed. Not sure why Atom gets so much hate. I find it very listenable.
Ron Geeson was a friend of the band that had a studio and when they were finished at EMI (abby road) the Men in white lab coats would not allow them to take any tracks out of the studio to work on at home so they would go to Ron's studio to work out some of the esoteric things they did. At that time PF was experimenting with creating sound scapes with non musical instrumentation and after 2 years had only 2 pieces done (Alans Psycodelic breakast being one ) so they came up with the Idea of letting Ron compose some classical oriented matterial thus became Atom Heart mother.

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
Ron Geeson was a friend of the band that had a studio and when they were finished at EMI (abby road) the Men in white lab coats would not allow them to take any tracks out of the studio to work on at home so they would go to Ron's studio to work out some of the esoteric things they did. At that time PF was experimenting with creating sound scapes with non musical instrumentation and after 2 years had only 2 pieces done (Alans Psycodelic breakast being one ) so they came up with the Idea of letting Ron compose some classical oriented matterial thus became Atom Heart mother.
Yeah, I read they were going to use rubber bands and stuff like that for instruments. Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast could have been a better song without a guy talking and the subs of eggs cooking.

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
I cant remember where i learned some of the songs , I was in a band and one of the guys would bring in some music and we went from there, astronomy Domine , was something I learned years ago and I was facinated by the use of the first position E flat chord and i figured out the rest . same with wish you were here one of the guys had about 80% of the song and we got the rest , Fearless is one of my favoritess to play, when I worked for the Black Crowes they did a smoking rendition live . set the controls is a no brainer but fun to play
Isn't Fearless in the tuning of open D?