1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any pilots here??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 64Strat, Jul 28, 2013.

1. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like a great show! Is that a Bede BD-5?

2. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

yes, BD-5J but I'm just learning too that the kit has been redesigned and is now available again using the designation FLS Microjet.
    FLS Microjet link...

3. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The FLS has gotten some good coverage lately, including a feature in one of the bigger aviation magazines (AOPA maybe?)

There's a little local museum and EAA chapter that received an old BD-5 kit as a donation with the specific caveat that it would be built for display only and never be flown. The prop kits had a lot of problems because the kit demanded some precise metal work, and most amateur builders weren't quite up to the task.

I fell in love with the BD-5J when I first saw it at Oshkosh in '84, and I'm glad to see that someone's turning the design into what it should have been in the first place.

4. 64Strat

I've been watching some of the vids on the redesign and agree! Looks like with current technology, it's finally able to take advantage of the original design.

The PIC requirements to fly the FLS jet version, are quite stringent. Something like a minimum of 100 hrs of turbine time, 1000 hrs min. total time and a letter of authorization from the FAA, "x" hrs of instruction from a certified CFI in type and so on. By the way, there is a T version for a micro-turbo prop and a B version for a 2 stroke Hirth piston engine.

5. acmeseed

acmeseed TDPRI Member

I got my SEL in 1996 and the instrument rating shortly after that; flew for about 600 hours all over the east coast. When I got married and moved to CA in 2004 my flying days stopped, too expensive and too many more important priorities such as buying a house and raising 2 children.

I miss it through, I live in Mission Viejo right under the local practice area, there is always someone doing maneuvers right over my house.

6. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I lived a probably 9^ & 3 miles from the VOR/DME to LGA,EWR,JFK. VOR Tower mid field @ TEB in Teterboro, NJ.
    So 3k under and less than a mile, not to mention 3-4^ off the TEB approach and the final was 1/3 mile and approx 300 AGL.

The latter was not so noisy on the 3 miles out on final. Most, 99-44/100th % were spooled/throttled down to whispers [mostly:eek:].

But those loaded heavies @ 3k every 30 seconds in line to the VOR could be quite the decibel fest on Sun eve. ;) Worse of course in total IFR conditions, louder bu magnitude of 2/3x.

So needless to say, this was some busy airspace living in the TCA of 4 big, well 2 huge and 2 big fields.

For years it bothered me the noise and traffic. It never occurred to me until after leaning to fly in said TCA [under actually ;)] that was the cure. From annoying to me wanting to run out to CDX and go fly... Better, but more expensive result. :twisted:

7. acmeseed

acmeseed TDPRI Member

We were close. I started learning at Greenwood Lake because I lived in Pomona, NY and this airport was close to home. The instructor got a job with a charter company and I moved on to CDW, I got the license there with MacDan Aviation. I then joined the Paramus Flying Club and was a member until I decided to move to CA.

Now I always heard that if you flew around that area you got good schooling because it was challenging, then I moved to CA and looked at the LA area sectional, talk about busy!!

When did you leave NJ?

8. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Left Joisey 2002, for Nashville, then 2011 PDX.

MacDan was next door to where I soloed at CDX. Jumped to Greenwood lake Airport a few times, usually Lincoln Park for tighter touch and goes than CDX. I forget the FBO's name honestly. My fav was landings @ the Montecello field, it is where I stuck my first. On the worst crappy runway ever, but could land anything after that. My lawyer had me land his PA-350 there soon after, I was getting cocky about then. :cool::oops::oops:

Once @ Greenwood lake, to my surprise I saw a Pilatus doing his run up, the sound caught my ear. Turbine plane at that little airport, well a first for me. The guy ran the length of the runway @ about 5' AGL after rotating and did a full throttle yank and bank that was awe inspiring. Try that at CDX and you will be sitting at a desk pretty soon after...

Although Denis the Vertical menace at CDX would pull some crazy crap and never get pulled into said desk. Ever see Dennis's Helo antics while @ MacDan ? I think he lunched with the FAA guys and saw them all @ the Bomber on several occasions. :D

9. abracadabra

abracadabra Tele-Meister

ATPL, but haven't flown a light aircraft for over 10 years. hard to justify the expense when I do it for a living anyway. when the kids are older I'll probably get my SE rating revalidated and take them up.

I'd love to go to Oshkosh some day. ^^^^those were some great photos.

10. 64Strat

I understand. Back when we were flying the RV-4 a lot, ATP's we would meet would comment about how envious they were of our "fun flying" versus their "cattle car" work flying. Over here, quite a few ATP's and ex-military pilots get into high performance, aerobatic flying to maintain and/or hone their flying skills.

Please do come to Oshkosh! You won't be disappointed. Glad you liked the pictures.

What a/c type are you flying now?

11. abracadabra

abracadabra Tele-Meister

narrow body Airbus. very different type of flying, as I'm sure you know. this job can be fun too though. I'd much rather do this than do a desk job and fly GA on weekends, even if the pay was better! :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.