1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any pilots here??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 64Strat, Jul 28, 2013.

1. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

Commercial ASEL here with an instrument rating. Haven't flown since 1987. Have about 650 hours in everything from a T-33 to a Stinson Station Wagon. Most of my time has been in 150s, 172, 177, 182. Was in several flying clubs with 182s, 172s, and a Cherokee Six 300.

My dream of being an airline pilot died when I became a single parent. That temporary, full-benefit job that I had with the Air Guard fixing fighter avionics didn't look too bad after that. I retired from there in 2005. Looking at what has happened to airline pilots and their retirement packages, I think I'm glad I didn't go that route.

I have five expensive hobbies. Flying is the only one that I haven't been able to do somewhat cheaply. It's just way too expensive, and my wife isn't as in love with flying as I am.

2. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Pretty reasonable actually for sure I'd say.

MY QUESTION: What do gliders go for per hr. and what is he average tow cost to get it up in the air ?

3. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Yes.

The youtube footage of Fox, Swift, and Genesis gliders is great stuff.

4. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

wow! what a shame to waste all that effort, $'s and time!

some of the more interesting a/c types I have time in, off the top of my head...

North American SNJ-4
    Beech H-18
    Waco UPF-7
    Van's RV-4
    Bell 47
    J3 Cub
    Schweizer 2-32
    Twin Comanche PA-30-160
    Aztec PA-23-250
    Seneca PA-34-200

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  5. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The thing that makes glider instruction start to get expensive is that the instructional flights only last 20 minutes or so until you're learning to thermal, etc. You might do 3 tows in a day and barely get to an hour of total flight time.

6. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not a pilot but have done a little flying. I grew up with a guy who's dad had a couple planes. One time when he was 17 and I was 15 his folks went out of town and we got out the J3 Cub. Everything went well...that time. The next time they went out of town we took it out and someone said they saw the plane in sky that weekend. Busted...

We didn't go up again for 2-3 years, but eventually his dad gave him the Cub. He probably flew that plane for 5 years before he actually got a license and I was with him half the time. It's a wonderful airplane. The other plane in the family is a short wing pacer taildragger and is a little less forgiving. I would love to have gotten a license but as long as I can get up in the air a few hours a year I'm happy.

P Thought likes this.
  7. 64Strat

One of the fun things I had happen while flying occurred up in Alaska. I had rented a C172RG - Cutlass from Merrill Field (MRI in Anchorage) and was on a x-c flight to Denali. I was climbing out to the north and looked over to the east at Elmendorf AFB and saw a 2 ship departure of F-15's (heading west bound) coming inbound to me, VERY HOT!!!, intersecting my track. They crossed right in front of me, close enough to being virtually the same altitude I was at and close enough for me to see the closer pilot salute me through his canopy. Shock & Awe!! I quickly climbed a little more aggressively to get above their wake turbulence. :lol:

Yes, the Denali mountain range was beautiful but the real excitement was how close I got to F-15C's in flight that day.

8. 64Strat

good story! reminds me of the guy I knew who owned a PA-28-235 Piper Cherokee 235, that had been flying for 30 yrs without a license. Had a grass runway on his farm that he flew in and out of and a hangar to keep it in. hehe..!! He was actually a very good pilot, just not legal.

The J3 Cub is sure fun to fly but I wouldn't want to have to make any long cross country flights in it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  9. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Gliding instruction takes a lot of time, so when I did my certificate, I enrolled in a 5 day solo camp run by the local gliding field (local = 200 km away!). The aim was to get pilots from ab-initio to solo - depending on weather conditions. It was one of the most intense experiences of my life and very rewarding. No doubt they run these camps in the US too?

10. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Here's another gliding video to whet your appetite :)

11. 64Strat

just for the heck of it... I ran most of the N-numbers of the aircraft I've flown to see what they are up to these days. Four of the PA-28's are gone, crashed and all with fatalities.... the PA-34 Seneca crashed and killed the pilot in IMC. One of the Cessna's crashed recently... here's the video...
    N739JN pilot interview and crash scene

Found a picture of the P206 I used to fly...
    [​IMG]

I found a picture of the SNJ-4 I flew....
    [​IMG]

And here is the RV-4 in it's current incarnation after it was sold...
    [​IMG]

12. Bswailes

Bswailes Tele-Holic

Commercial Single and Multiengine Land w/ instrument. Was once a ii-rated flight instructor. Twelve hundred hours...such a waste considering the current plight of GA. Cannot afford to fly anymore at these fuel $. I loved flying. Maybe someday...

13. KokoTele

That's wild. I looked up the NTSB report and it said the throttle cable broke so they couldn't add power.

The news interview said that the instructor was a 27 year old former USAF pilot. How is that possible? Once you're a 2nd LT it usually takes at least a year to get a training slot, and then you spend a couple of years training, and then there's usually an 8 year commitment after you get your wings, right?

14. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

It's something I've always wanted to do and a few friends do have PPLs, but when I think about it it's quite expensive and I've probably already got too many hobbies.

I did fly quite a bit in my teens (at my school in the UK we had access to RAF Chipmunk trainers and I'd get in at least one flight a week in good weather) but I've never solo'd.

[​IMG]

15. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, strange. Perhaps out on a disability that prevented military service but not civilian flying?

16. 64Strat

He was not a USAF pilot. He was in the USAF and did aircraft maintenance.

I found pictures of him online in the USAF doing a C-130 wheel repair and then this article that describes his service a little better than the TV reporter did.
    Pilot news article link

Here's the quote from the NTSB:
    Ouch!!! :lol:

17. 64Strat

here's the NTSB report on the Seneca PA-34-200 twin I flew....
    N1067U fatal crash report

here's the crash report on one of the PA-28's I trained in and took my check ride in.... I liked this airplane.
    N5770U crash report

here's a real nice IFR cert'ed PA-28-180F that I took long cross country trips in, that someone stuck badly into the ground....
    N3963R crash

The Aztec, PA-23-250 was cannibalized for the engines by Robinson, the helicopter guys.

Out of the 10 or more, PA-28's I've flown, only 3 are still in existence. Out of the same number or more of Cessna's, only one is not flying. Interesting.

18. 64Strat

I'm looking at the option of an economical experimental, all aluminum kit plane, that uses a Viking aircraft conversion of a Honda Fit engine. It uses pump 87 octane fuel and will cruise at 122 kts, 4.5 gph fuel burn and has a 500 lb useful load with full fuel.

I have decent fabrication skills... and am fortunate to have a friend with a very large hangar and he's also an A&P. I can store the plane there for next to nothing and get discounted services from him.

Average build time is 700 hrs and I'm going to see it and the engine at AirVenture in a few days.

19. Ravie

Ravie Tele-Holic

My dad and mom will be there. Back when I was "at home" we used to go every year. He started building a Zenith CH-701 but seems to have stopped at the stabilizer. I think he is dreaming of a corvair powered Peitenpol now.

20. KokoTele

This sounds like an awesome project. What kit is it?

I've daydreamed of building my own plane for quite a while, but unless I make a major change in lifestyle it's just not going to happen. Much more likely that I'd go halfsies on a Cub or Champ.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.