1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any pilots here??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 64Strat, Jul 28, 2013.

1. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Just wondering if any of the membership here are certified private pilots or ratings above. I got my ticket quite a while ago, been inactive for a bit and need to do a flight review/BFR. Going to Oshkosh this coming week for AirVenture.

2. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

I have a private pilot licence - but many moons ago and have let the medical lapse. Also have my 'A' certificate in gliders. I've been seriously thinking about doing some ultralight (trike) training. Let us know how your trip to Oshkosh goes!

3. 64Strat

ahhhh!!! good on'ya w3stie!! I have 1 hr dual in a Schweizer 2-32. Loved it!

I've flown a RV-4 quite a bit and now find it very hard to go back to 172's and Archer's. Got the bug for a RV real bad!

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Former but I lived in Wisconsin and have been to the event many times when it was known as the EAA Fly In. I can recall watching air traffic stacked up west of Wittman Field for over ten miles, and looking like some sort of giant aerial parade, waiting their turn to land. It's one of the greatest events of it's kind in the country.

5. w3stie

RV-4 eh? Do you know of Jon Johanson's exploits around the world in his RV4? I was inspired to fly by reading exploits like his.

6. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Sure, I think there's quite a few of us on here. Have fun up there! You should pack a sweatshirt or sweater or both for the climate.

7. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I've got my SEL and glider ratings, though I haven't flown a glider since '95.

I know what you mean about getting bit by a bug like an RV. A friend lets me use his Champ when it's running, and that's fun like you wouldn't believe. Cessnas are still cool too, but nothing like the same. It's tough to go from pure airmanship and fun in a tandem seat airplane to a flying sedan.

I find new challenges occasionally, though. Most of my Cessna flying is with Civil Air Patrol, so there are always tasks to conduct or practice and cadets to fly. We're in the slow process of converting our fleet to glass panel aircraft, and I finally got my G1000 checkout last week.

Enjoy Airventure! Be sure to post a report and pictures! I grew up near Chicago, so my family managed to make it there a few times before we moved away. Some of the best memories of my life!

8. 64Strat

his trips around the world are legendary!

9. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

10. w3stie

I posted this a while back, but these things often get overlooked in the daily churn. I think it's inspirational, and I struggle to understand why most people are not interested in going flying. I can understand not having the means, but most people seems completely uninterested??

Anyway, enjoy :)

11. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

I begged, borrowed and stole enough to earn my PPL before I was married. I loved every minute I was in the sky, but it's just too expensive to justify when I have a family to feed on cowboy wages. I sure do miss it, though. Not a day goes by that I don't look up and wish I was there.

Have fun at Oshkosh!

12. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

I haven't flown on so long I probably have no place posting in the thread.

But we passed a glider airport a few weeks back, and I lit up. My wife says I should check it out if I really want to. I have 70 hours in my log, and probably 30-40 right seat in friends planes. Baron, PA-350, 412 twins. I Soloed but never got my ticket before 9/11 happened, and being that was the airspace I was learning in and $ was running dry at that point, I quit. I did go up in Tampa with an instructor in 2002, last flight for me... My income dropped for a few reasons I won't bore the thread with that.

I never looked into the cost for the glider certs, but I used to pay 60.00 for a PA-180 with fuel and some fair gear. $88.00 for an Arrow if I needed some speed and wanted to get ahead of myself.

Sure a PA-180 is probably double that and more, no idea on the glider costs. Thanks for making me think about it. ;)

13. 64Strat

14. KokoTele

The cost of gas (~$6/gal) has pushed rental rates up over $125/hr. (This is only slightly above the rate of inflation.)

Glider flying hasn't gone up as much. Typically a tow to 2000' is in the neighborhood of $25. Some clubs don't charge a rate for the glider beyond your membership dues. Most rentals are in the neighborhood of $35-50/hr.

It ain't cheap, but you can go out with the glider club and have fun for a day and spend $100.

15. 64Strat

I watched that the last time you posted it and was mesmerized. Had to watch it again.

Here's one of an RV-8 (my preferred RV) and will give you a good idea of how we used to fly the RV-4.

Enjoy this one too.... An NXT Nemesis & a Thunder Mustang going x-c to Oshkosh.

16. 64Strat

yessir! glad to help!

Cost is always the limiting factor for most of us that are afflicted.

I just found a nice C172 and Archer II for $80/hr wet. It's a flying club near me and the down stroke is $1800 for your share of ownership in the 2 aircraft. Pretty reasonable actually. The problem is I'm spoiled with the higher performance stuff now... there are nice RV's for sale in the $40K - $60K range. I'm certain Oshkosh is going to be dangerous for me. :lol:

17. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

I was a charter pilot and flight instructor in the late '60s and early '70s. Haven't flown since 12/73. Do you still push forward to go down and pull back to go up? ;) And, what is an RV?

Tom

18. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

I had my A@P license, long ago they both expired. The old use it or lose it.:cry:
    Used to love the check out rides after working on one, sometimes downright exciting ....

19. KokoTele

Those flying club prices are pretty damned good! The big flying club around here has a buy-in of about $3500 and the rental rates are only about 20% less than retail. (The up side of this club is a big fleet that includes some high performance stuff that you couldn't rent around here anyway.)

jumpnblues: RV-8

[​IMG]

20. 64Strat

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.