Any Pere Ubu fans in this joint?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by urizen, Oct 11, 2014.

1. urizen

urizen Tele-Afflicted

New album, Carnival of Souls. As usual, Thomas' work is always strangely compelling and textured and tight and, now into his 7th decade, rocking hard in the Ubu way in this particular numbah (you'll need to turn it UP[/B)]) (and note that there is a Tele-ish plank involved):

Any other Ubuistes out there?

2. urizen

urizen Tele-Afflicted

Wow--- so far, it looks like 42 people opened the door, peeked in, and then ran away without saying a word.

3. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Personally I can understand them. I guess none of them were fans;) ... I hadn't even heard of them myself - I was just curious.

4. urizen

urizen Tele-Afflicted

Best I can figure, you were probably #71--- but there must be at least a couple of other marginalistas and/or avant-garage faithful in this forum.

5. Sandia Man

Sandia Man Tele-Meister

I like this one ok, it's late enough on a weekend night

6. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

I saw them live one time many years ago with the Pixies. I thought they were good.

7. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I like a bit of Ubu

8. slowlearner78

slowlearner78 Tele-Meister

I really like Dub Housing. Ubu is one of those bands I don't listen to an awful lot, but when I'm in the right mood, they're perfect.

9. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

I saw them many years ago in a club. The drummer had the smallest, most basic kit and he used every inch of it. The lead singer was fun to watch.

10. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I'm with Telemarkman, but i'll give them a look in a day or so and get back to you.

11. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Well, it has a certain theatrical element to it, which initially intrigues, but quickly becomes tiresome. If you don't mind I will leave you guys to it.

12. urizen

urizen Tele-Afflicted

I think the "theatricality" is just Dave being Dave (he's pretty unfiltered in thought and deed during performances)--- it's always been the musical content that hooks me (although I've got to say there was something about "Irene" that seemed to set off some lucid dreaming last night ... perhaps it was the puppetry):

13. czgibson

czgibson Tele-Afflicted

I enjoyed their first few records, but didn't really make a lasting friendship with their music.

That track reminded me a lot of the Fall, who are also into the whole "ranting maniac over furious punk repetition" thing.

I was once amused to find this beer in my local supermarket:

[​IMG]

14. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Saw them several times in the mid-late 70's in DC, though I was never a big fan. I think this sums them up pretty well -

"Pere Ubu is not now nor has it ever been a viable commercial venture. We won't sleep on floors, we won't tour endlessly and we're embarrassed by self-promotion. Add to that a laissez-faire attitude to the mechanics of career advancement and a demanding artistic agenda and you've got a recipe for real failure. That has been our one significant success to this date: we are the longest-lasting, most disastrous commercial outfit to ever appear in rock 'n' roll. No one can come close to matching our loss to longevity ratio." – David Thomas

15. urizen

urizen Tele-Afflicted

DT is famously clear-eyed as well as drolly sardonic . On the other hand, he/Ubu worked and recorded w/ Richard Thompson and Henry Kaiser, and inspired the formation of Mission of Burma...and got a spot on the Letterman Show (as well as David Sanborn's short-lived show).

I first saw them in their first appearance @ The Whiskey (a Go-Go), where they'd contracted for a one-night 2 show set to "break-in" L. A. We bought tix, got in early, and got a great table as the line got long (full of "punks", scenesters, and arrivistes) and the over-flow turned into the line for the 2nd show. Ubu played Heart of Darkness and other early stuff, all of the material from The Modern Dance, and previewed new material, performing spot on and loudly . As the show progressed, about a third-to-half of the audience fled. By the end of the first show, both the population in the house AND in the line for the second show was considerably diminished... so much so that the Management let those who wanted to remain from the first show keep their places (so we kept our great table). They were still on fire (in an alternatingly deadpan bi-polar manner) throughout the 2nd show.

Saw them whenever I had a chance afterwards and was never disappointed (though I was often frequently amazed as well as more-than-occasionally nonplussed).

Lord T worded it thusly,
    ...that which [they] are, [they] are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield

...but Dave put it a bit more prosaically:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  16. vuduchild

vuduchild TDPRI Member

I may need to drop some acid before I know if I'm a fan or not.

17. urizen

urizen Tele-Afflicted

Considering what you said and where you're writing from, you may be interested to know that they were friends and sometime-collaborationists w/ Tejas' own legendary Red Krayola (it really kicks into gear/"comes on" about 1.35 into this live track):

and, later studio work (from '78):

The Red Crayola - Soldier-Talk (1979 Radar Records)

start w/ tracks #3 and #7, which are the most "accessible"/"somewhat conventional" (Letter-Bomb is brilliant and could be the theme song for some of the more enthusiastically contentious threads on these forums).

#1 00:00 - March No.12
    #2 01:58 - On The Brink
    #3 04:53 - Letter-Bomb
    #4 06:55 - Conspirators' Oath
    #5 09:40 - March No.14
    #6 11:05 - Soldier-Talk
    #7 18:10 - Discipline
    #8 21:35 - X
    #9 24:50 - An Opposition Spokesman
    #10 29:50 - Uh, Knowledge Dance
    #11 32:50 - Wonderland

Mayo Thompson, Allen Ravenstine**, Christine Thompson, David Thomas**, Dick Cuthell, Jesse Chamberlain, Lora Logic, Scott Krauss**, Tom Herman**, Tony Maimone**

* All respect to Roky E. but these guys kicked The 13th Floor Elevators' ass as far as intense psychedelia w/ wit and brains.

** Ubu's original line-up in assistance

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.