1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any pedal steel players here?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Dickey01, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Dickey01

Dickey01 Tele-Meister

In addition to being a Tele chiken-picker, I also play pedal steel, 5 string banjo, and bass. I own an Emmons LeGrande D-10 pedal steel, and a Mullen D-10 Herby Wallace Pro model pedal steel. Anyone else play steel? 20150517_114624.jpg 20150608_220514.jpg

brookdalebill, Modernelove and Jsil13 like this.
  2. ndcaster

ndcaster Doctor of Teleocity

I don't play steel, but can you move to my neighborhood?

3. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Steel guitar, but no pedals. I play and gig with an early 50s fender champion. Also have a late 50s gibson.
    I have a start on building an 8 or 10 string steel from a single piece of ash, but not sure when I'll get to finish it. I'd like more strings to expand my range, but I would really love to get something with pedals at some point. Only tried one once, but it really opened up a lot more options.

4. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

I play c6 lapsteel. Not a lot of people take it seriously as an instrument you can do a lot musically with it if you learn your slants and know a bit about dyads and stuff. The only guy I ever listen to is Tom Brunly who plays any type of steel, pedal, console or lapsteel.

Next I might build a couple of 8 string lapsteels may string one up closer to one of the steel guitar E9 tuning. Thing is I really like the sound of the c6 tuning. It has a real sweet sound to it that I haven't heard explored to it's fullest. Thing about just 6 strings is I can do so much with them I don't really need anymore.

I play a little bit longer scale than a lap steel 23 1/2 inch. It's not as long as a console pedal steel. I don't gig country western music as a steel guitar player. If I did I would be playing on a 2 neck pedal steel Through a bigger amp than my suped up 5f1. I would probably play something like a 5e5 Or just something with a tube rectifier that was big enough and ran in a push pull configuration for the power tubes.

For me my lapsteel through my 5f1 is great. It's not only the nicest sounding instrument I have played, C6 steel guitar is my favorite instrument. Right now I don't play it as much as a my regular guitar. I am also clean and sober right now. Doesn't mean it's the way to live or I am planing on staying that way the rest of my life:D.

5. Dardeau

Dardeau TDPRI Member

I'm working on being able to play an Emmons S10. It's a long row to hoe.

6. Modernelove

Modernelove Tele-Meister

I got a Sho Bud Maverick a couple months ago I've been having fun picking stuff out on. In the process of trying to sell some stuff to get an upgrade. I'm loving it but I forgot the frustrations of learning a new instrument.

7. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

There is a young man that stops in now and then. Clint Lerb I think it is. Great fella and plays good steel and guitar.

People can glorify any instrument and player but the pedal steel seems like such a great way to mine the musical ore of theory. I simply worship folks who can multi task on that level!

xafinity likes this.
  8. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Pedal steel, a 33 Ric frypan for C6/A7 and a 50's Gibson BR 6 for nashville G tuning. If you play steel, or want to play steel, you're nuts. Just posted this John Scofield tune I worked up on pedal steel. Almost as if it was written for steel. Apologies for the cross post from Twanger thread.

9. Dickey01

Dickey01 Tele-Meister

Marc; That was AWESOME! Love to hear the steel in a different context other than country. Great sound from that Derby, too! Have you checked out Susan Alcorn? She does some pretty eclectic things on steel, too.

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I've had the honor of playing with a couple of good steel players, Richard Sinkler back in California and now Phil Broske here in Colorado. I play lap steel. I have a '47 National New Yorker six string in open E and a double neck National Grand Console in E7 and C6 that's still getting restored. I used to play Dobro, but I sold it to get a Les Paul Historic. I want a Weisenborn.

11. zhyla

zhyla Tele-Meister

I've been playing pedal steel for about 4 months. I've wanted to do it for many years but waited until a good deal popped up locally. This is my 60's Fender 1000.

It's not going bad actually, a lot easier than I thought it would be. I wish more people played PSG, I don't know anybody else who owns one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brookdalebill and Shango66 like this.
  12. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

I have a Blue GFI Ulta S-10. I don't play it much these days, instead spending most of my steel playing time on a Recording King 6-string lap steel tuned to E13.

13. Shidoin

Shidoin Tele-Holic

Marc, that was beautiful! Very well done.

Marc Muller likes this.
  14. J Hog

J Hog Tele-Holic

Guilty!!! I've been trying to play about 20 years. I get more calls to play pedal steel than guitar, but there's more guitar players in my area than steel players. I tell people that "guitar's my wife but pedal steel's my mistress." I have two Sho-Bud ProIII 's.

waymore likes this.
  15. gee.

gee. Tele-Meister

Not yet. I have a 6 string lap steel and a 10 string that's helped me dip the toe in the water, but I'm just about to jump in and buy a full PSG. I'd like to find a used StageOne or Carter so I don't have to make a huge investment to see if I can hang.

16. zhyla

zhyla Tele-Meister

One thing I think should be more widely broadcast: pedal steel is easier than lap steel. With lap steel you have to work a lot harder to make chords. Pedal steel you just push a pedal or two. There's a little bit of remembering but it's way easier than, say, forming a minor chord on an open-G tuned lap steel.

It's a really, really deep instrument -- lurk the steel guitar forum some time, you'll see -- but you'll be playing C-G-F kind of stuff in no time.

gee. likes this.
  17. gee.

gee. Tele-Meister

That's exactly what I want to hear! I've picked up the 6 string a couple of years back and fumbled my way off and on to make some music with it. Just built a 10 string to get familiar with E9 tuning. I also play 5 string banjo, so the finger picking from that has made it a little easier to adapt. Guess I'll have to buy a steel and take the plunge. Thanks for the advice!

18. sultan59

sultan59 Tele-Holic

Very nice, Marc Muller! I might have to try and learn that one, pretty. I can play a little bit, I haven't got to the point where it's instinctive, but I'm working at it. I just bought a Dr Z Surgical Steel to go with my used Williams D-10, waiting on a new Mojo 1X12 cab t be built and an Eminence PF350 speaker to put in it.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  19. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've been playing for about 20 years, I still don't feel like I've even scratched the surface.

I've got a '72 MSA Semi-Classic that had seen better days when I bought it, but I can still get a pretty decent tone out of it. I got to talk to Donnie Herron the last time Dylan passed through, and he was talking about the guitars he uses (forget the brand). He said they've got magnesium frames so they're relatively light.

My MSA is in an Anvil case, and my back tightens up every time I look at it. I'd love to upgrade to something lighter when cash flow permits.

- D

20. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Not yet, but it is my favourite sounding instrument. I play six-string C6 lap steel. Just wish I could find a D10 here at an affordable price.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.