Any Peavey Bravo users?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by schenkadere, Aug 7, 2019.

1. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Had one for a short time. Not sure I gave it a fair shake. I recall it being a bit boxy and lifeless. Again. It was a while ago. I’m considering giving one another try. Any experience positive or negative? Thanks.

MrGibbly likes this.
  2. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I had a pair back in the early/mid 90s. They were awful. Boxy is right. No bottom end. No clarity.

The next amps I played were a Crate Vintage Club 30 (1x12) and a Vintage Club 50 (3x10). That was a whole new and better world.

Then I bought a JTM45RI head . . . Things were getting better and better.

Then I bought a 1964 Super Reverb. Game over!

Since then it's been multiple tweed and BF clones . . . That's my sound.

[Although a few years ago I did play a Tele through a ~64 AC30. Wow. Just wow!]

3. schenkadere

Maybe I remembered correctly but I recall the strength of the amp was the dirt channels. I often play with higher gain than most here I believe.

4. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

I've never played one, never been around one but this is the first negative comments I've heard that I can think of.

I seems I've heard lots of recommendations of hooking them to a 412.

5. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

I’ve had a Peavey Bravo since the mid-90s. It was my number one for most of that time when I played predominantly hard rock and metal. Lots of gain on tap and that angry EL84 sound. It does those genres very well and has a pretty decent spring reverb. Got even better with a speaker swap. The clean sound is okay...not as good as my SFVR or my Boogie.

6. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Had one for years... Stupid me sold it! Fantastic amp IMHO

7. schenkadere

It was a while ago. I was flipping amps like crazy. I should have spent more time with it and maybe experimented with speakers and tubes. The teal stripe Peavey stuff is my favorites era.

8. PerHAA

PerHAA TDPRI Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum and actually signed up for some advice on one of my own Bravo 112 amps.

I LOVE my Bravo, though I must say admit that refitting the amp into a better cabinet (12mm birch shelves from the hardware store) and swapping the speaker with a vintage 30 made all the difference. It is now my main amp for all the gigs I do, and it has all the headroom I need.

I've recently bought another one, wich did work initially, but has now decided to go silent on me. I popped in new tubes, replaced all electrlytic capacitors, checked all fuses and connections. It's not the output stage as i get signal through when plugging in to the effectsloop return. When I plug my guitar into either of the input jacks, i get a bit of crackling when i jerk it a bit. I've cleaned them as well and re-soldered the connections onto the board. Still nothing....

Anybody has any ideas what to try next?

-Per

9. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

First tube amp I ever wanted to buy - Steve's shop in Montreal :)

I liked it a lot but didn't have the money :(

10. schenkadere

Maybe try posting in the Amp Tech forum.

PerHAA likes this.
  11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Is that the one that you might think is SS because you can't see the the tubes?

12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

^^^ yeah - they’re horizontal.

I think it has a fan in it as well.

Not a bad amp . Never hear one that had been recabbed but if you play one awhile it just leaps out at you that it would benefit from that.

If you like hi gain, Bravo has it.

13. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I had a Bravo a long time ago, briefly, I don't remember anything outstanding about it, some folks said they were a mini Marshall but as I recall the OD tones were kinda raspy / buzzy and the clean tones were not special, I sold it pretty quickly.

You don't see many of them around, by comparison I've owned Peavey Bandits, Specials, Backstage, all of which had good clean and ok OD tones, Peavey Classic 30 and 50s which both have very good clean tones and you can dial in decent OD too.
    And I had a Peavey Triumph, very high gain but noisy. That one had the horizontal tubes mounted inside the chassis.

14. PerHAA

PerHAA TDPRI Member

I did a post on the tech forum looking for answers. Meanwhile here's a pic of my refitted Bravo which just came out of its case from a gig on saturday. As you can see I had some trouble figuring out how to install nuts flush with the wood for mounting the speaker. I'll try something else next time:)

-Per

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.