1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any other keys players here ??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rangercaster, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I use keys a lot on my recordings. I wouldn't call me a pro but I have played on stage.

Done more with the drums actually

2. johnny7

johnny7 Tele-Meister

I dabble in keys too. I never had piano lessons but I can chord and accompany myself. In a band I have always played guitar or bass except when I played a synth for Dancing in the Dark a long time ago. Now I own Nord 6D, Roland Stage Piano, 2 x Roland D-50s and a few midi controllers. The problem with playing both guitar and keys in a band is that I have to haul more gear which is why I bought the Nord.

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I play synth , but i like to trigger it with what ever controller I have thats off the wall, like a roland Gr55, Yamaha WX7 clarenette , sequebcers, but I have 2 polyphonic synths , a Kurzweil K2000, and a Korg M50 and several monophonic synths , and a crap load of virtual synths , melotrons, string synths ,organs, that reside in my computers

4. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

I like to hammer out songs on the keyboard for the laugh. Today I stuck on a soul playlist on Spotify and Frank Wilson's 'do I love you' came on. Looked up the chords and its easy enough to play, so I sat down at the keyboard over lunch time playing it. Kids came in from school at 2pm and joined in on shaker and tambourine.
    Keys are great fun.

Hey_you likes this.
  5. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I heard Dick Dale mention somewhere that his favorite instrument was piano. That was surprising. He's such an amazing guitar player. I think guitar and piano work so well together. I wish there were more piano + band combinations than synth + band combinations, but who knows, maybe that'll be the next minor big thing. This song would be ho-hum without that piano. Okay, the drummer is rockin' too.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  6. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It takes me a month of daily piano practice to play the recital pieces that I could play when I was 11.

7. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

I don't play piano, however, while I was studying music in college I also studio electronic music and electronic music composition. We had a composition studio with a pile of analog synth modules, sequencers, integrated synths like the Arp 2600, and Synclavier II serial #00001. I composed electronic music using that gear. Soooo... I am a synthesist. I own some synths these days including a Roland GR-20 guitar synth I can use to drive them. I use them when I compose film scores and for production.

Bob

8. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

I gained some incite on a post regarding that left/right dominance. It helped me greatly. He said to not concentrate on the left hand. That is a distraction. Focus on what you expect to hear. Things fell into place better after looking on it like that.

xtelesquirex likes this.
  9. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

This buds for you!

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/...sia-2020-online-synth-expo-coming-oct-4-2020/

24 track likes this.
  10. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

I appropriated a pump-organ my grandfather brought back from mainland China after WW2. I learned to play Turtle "Happy Together" Mayall's "Bare Wires" and a few others. I took it apart and cleaned the parts. Notes sounded sour. Few years later I tried a diy bellows repair. I didn't succeed. It went by the wayside. I just looked it up. 1967 was when HT was a hit. So I must had been 13 or 14. I pecked on friends and families key instruments when I could. Bought my 1st synth in the 90's. Dx-27. Learned much about envelopes, ADSR, algorithms and such. Was bummed when I found out the DX-7 had 14 algorithms and I only had 7. Now I have an SY77 with a Behringer Model D attached. Played through 1 amp, I can have 2 different sources for voices. Or I blend the two together(via volume controls) for a unique sound. The 77 is the controller for the D. I feel confident enough to say "I get by add 77fx.jpg " playing.

ed: Oh yeah I found VCV Rack 2 years back. Doesn't get any better than real with this, free, software. It looks and sounds like the real thing

11. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My mom made take piano lessons for over ten years as a kid. I spent as much time trying to get out of practicing as I did practicing, but something clicked in my brain and that piano experience has helped me quickly learn a number of other instruments. I haven't played much since I quit at 16, but I recently spent a year playing in church for the kiddos. It was a fun experience.

These days I spend my musical time playing the "weird" stringed instruments- banjo and mandolin, and my other first instrument, drums.

12. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

When it comes to keyboards, I’m like a rhythm acoustic guitarist playing simple cowboy chords. But I do enjoy it and can pull off the keys parts in a lot of my band’s songs.

My favorite keyboard is my Wurlitzer 200A that I restored.

[​IMG]

13. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A few years ago a friend offered me a mid-70's Fender Rhodes Mark II for maybe 20% of its value. I was experiencing a hardship at the time and couldn't buy it. It will always be the one that got away.

So I did the next best thing and got my friend in contact with the pianist in Blackberry Smoke, and now I get to hear that Rhodes on their records. Brandon Still is a hundred times the keys player I will ever be, and I am glad the piano is getting one hell of a second life.

14. Barbeque John

Barbeque John Tele-Meister

I very much regret quitting piano lessons as a kid. I still play a little and have played pads and stuff on stage a bit. Caught the Hammond bug for awhile, still have a a100 and 2 Leslies in my barn/music rehearsal space,and a h112 holding up a tv in my living room, but I haven't played them much over the last several years. Thing about Hammonds, they sound so damn good, anything you play on them sounds great. Plus, they are so interesting mechanically and electronically, and they were built to last. 60, 70 year old Hammonds can still sound great.

15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Yep.. lessons and grades as a kid...

I have a nice weighted 88key master keyboard here and a bunch of old synths/hardware modules. A fave being an old Yamaha SY85... Fat tones..

I will occasionally do a few gig tunes on keys. I am putting time in on more with the lockdown to skill up more.

ipads synth apps and midi keyboards... we are spoiled beyond belief!

Always had pianos around as my mother was an opera singer. My son is the total piano whizz though... i taught him to read chord charts very early on. We have a couple of nice acoustics and here I have a fancy Yamaha Disklavier that plays itself and the keys move... great for playing tricks on people.

My big keys regret is letting a Yamaha CS80 go years ago. it was a huge weight.. but essentially the Vangelis Blade Runner soundtrack in a unit.

I generally use soft synths now, but I saw Yamaha have a cheap Reface CS80 lite which looks interesting as a small desk synth.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  16. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Over the summer I bought a digital piano intending to re-learn a tiny bit of keyboarding, sight reading and to maybe use for songwriting. I had some fun with it but kinda dropped off recently. It's more fun to play the instrument I actually know how to play, than to work on basic piano stuff over and over!

17. Spats Davenport

Spats Davenport TDPRI Member

I play well enough to accompany myself singing.,and most people think I'm pretty good. But I cannot play very well any of the stuff that requires independent movement, like boogie woogie. I've gigged, bit don't take solos.

18. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I have an upright piano that I mess around on occasionally. I can play the Heart & Soul progression in C. I have not ventured into the black keys yet. It’s like any other instrument: Practice, practice, practice!

4AAD3C86-CC6A-4898-AA9B-49F6704086F9.jpeg

19. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

The left hand can be difficult for guitar players. It's palm up for guitarists; palm down for keys. This results in the scales running in the opposite direction than the guitarist's left hand is trained. I still struggle with this and will have to try your advice. I started on keyboards after 15+ years on guitar and was advised early on that this might limit my progress.

On the positive side, when working with a bass player, simple left hand figures can be a good fit and stepping on the bass player's range might be something you'll want to avoid.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  20. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yep here ✓

And through the years and plotting out songs- figuring them out,
    it has certainly helped my guitar playing.

Hey_you likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.