Any other fans of the 51 -57 early Precision bass?

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Be cool to see a pic

Some of my best friends are bass players so no jokes!
It's the original single. Double burst with maple obviously. The only non original thing is that the finger rest became a thumb rest.

The "proper job" - I became a guitar tech. Might have fried my brains by now if I hadn't changed :cool:.

Oops!!!!:eek: Just left myself open to the usual bass player jokes. Feel free guys.

Yes yes yes pictures please

Mike Simpson

Doctor of Teleocity
I have a 51 P Bass (Fender Japan), shown here with my MIM J Bass.

IMG_20121016_212802.jpg

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
An old buddy had the late 60s RI version. It sounded great, with a characteristic punch that was different from the split coil Precision tone.

richey88

Friend of Leo's
My 1st bass was a '73 Telecaster Bass (same design). Natural with a clear PG. I painted the underside black and riffed a bunch of ZZ Top (actually 1st bass song I learned was Ace, "How Long").

Our bass player in my band now just got the Classic Vibe version, really nice!

pbenn

Tele-Afflicted
Been looking for the distinctively butchered one in my avatar for over 20 years now.

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
http://www.scottymoore.net/56PBass.html

extract (hope they don't mind) cool pic.

In 1957 Bill Black acquired a 1956 Fender Precision Bass, serial #13182. Sid Lapworth from O.K. Houck said he delivered it to Elvis personally.

hollywood1957jailhouser.jpg

Elvis with a 1955/6 Fender P Bass at MGM's soundstage, Hollywood, CA - May 1957
Photo courtesy David English
That bass can be heard on "You're so square I don't care" played by Elvis and on "Jailhouse rock" played by Bill Black.

Dave Hicks

Friend of Leo's
I've got a slightly later version - Fender Classic Series '50s Precision Bass Lacquer. It's amusing that they included the holes in the pickguard for the "thumb" rest and ash tray, but there are no holes in the wood, let alone the hardware implied.

I also admire the Squier early 50s basses, but they didn't make those when I bought this one.

D.H.

1653408032762.png

Last edited:

trev333

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I like. How’s the sound!?
Glorious bassness...a nice thump when needed, very sensitive to forward or rear picking/fingering. much less string/fret noise with the flats...:)

I liked this pickup so much, I built 3 basses around it, the others have a P Bass bridge/single neck.... a no name ebay find, under 20 bucks..;)
A5/43G, fibre bobbins, cloth wires, @6K... not too hot...

tele bass pu1sm.jpg

DSCN3302.JPG