Any opinions on the Fender American Vintage 58 Pickup set?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by WilburBufferson, Oct 2, 2014.

1. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

I can't find a single comprehensive review on these pickups. In another thread I was asking whether these would get me close to Mr. Campilongo's tone, all else being equal, as he has a 59 and describes the tone as on the bassier side, without the ice pick. Has anyone tried them and what are your thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  2. glenn

glenn TDPRI Member

If they're the same pickups that are in Fender's 58 tele, this clip might help. It compares Fender's 52, 58 & 62 teles.

3. WilburBufferson

Thanks for that glenn, I'd already seen that video. I've scoured this forum and the web to find out more information about how these pickups stand apart from other choices, but from the lack of reviews, I get the impression that they are not widely used or known about.

4. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The truth is, they might sound great in your guitar, or not.

Perhaps looking for reviews or information on the original '58 pickups, to see how they vary from other years, might be the way to go. Fender seems to make these things pretty accurate to the originals so, at least you'd have a point of reference.

The other point to consider, is to find out all the information you can about Mr. Campilongo's guitar such as weight, wood, hardware, string gauge and such. In my experience, that's going to be equally important when trying to get close to a players sound. You could even be off a bit on the pickups and still get really close to the sound if all the other variables are close.

5. WilburBufferson

:)

Attached Files:

6. thejbs

thejbs TDPRI Member

Looking forward to your review. I am considering getting a set of 58's for my Highway 1.

7. WilburBufferson

So far, I am really digging these pickups. I am no connoisseur, and wouldn't pay for boutique offerings, but they've got that tele spank and each of the pickups on their own sound good. In combination, the middle position is very nice too. I find that they are not very loud pickups: I have to get the princeton reverb to between 4-5 to get some good sounds out of them. With my humbucker guitars, I can coax out cool tones at around 1-2, so this is a big difference. The only thing that I do not really like is that the middle position hums (no RWRP) -- this is a bummer because it is my favorite position, bar none.

I went the extra step of getting a traditional bridge (instead of my thick, brass gotoh modern bridge for tele) with threaded steel saddles to get closer to the signature JC sound. I can't say that I hear a big difference. I've got a Seth Lover humbucker on the way that I am going to pair up with a SD vintage noiseless stack. If I don't fall in love with this combo and decide to keep the 58s, then I'll try the gotoh with them to see what the difference in tone will be.

One other thing with the 58s... they are not ear piercingly trebley (a good thing). I might even try them with 500K pots to see what that will sound like, just for kicks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.