Any opinions on Mesa/Boogie F30 1x12 combo?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by scout2112, Jan 9, 2019.

1. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

I'm eyeing a possible trade for this 1x12 combo amp - looking for a pedal-friendly practice amp that does a 80's clean tone.

2. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

If it's EL84 powered, do some research on voltage and redplating.

I had a DC-3 head that would redplate tubes quickly. Some online research found that Mesa was running above-spec voltage to the tubes.

I read later versions of their EL84 amps fixed this. Not sure if that would be the case for the F-series.

Here is a thread on a fix for the DC-3 problem. Again, it may be unique to that era of Mesas and the F-series may not be affected:

https://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51785&sid=ef41c8f51416ccd37b4bb71fcad1ae4d&start=0

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  3. Teleka

Teleka TDPRI Member

I had one and didn't care for its tone. It's a well built 2 channel amp with reverb and an effects loop plus a boost on the drive channel. It was incredibly loud for its 30 watts.. The drive channel seemed useless to me; both channels had a noticeable hiss, even at low volume. Mine came with a Celestion Vintage 30, which I swapped for a Cannabis Rex. The tone improved somewhat but I still didn't bond with it and ended up selling it.

As usual YMMV. Try it out, you might like it.

4. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Glassy crystal clear cleans and filthy overdrive, doesn't do much in between. Had one, not for long. Might do the 80's clean thing you want but I would try it first.

Teleka likes this.
  5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

It was the predecessor to the Studio Caliber 22

6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I know you didn’t ask this particular question, but...

Mesa Boogies are great for nasty filthy tones, but I’ve never liked their cleans...they always seem a bit stiff/sterile, IMHO—which is strange, because there’s a lot of guys and girls that hold Mesa Boogie Clean Sounds in high regard.

A lot of their models don’t seem to take certain overdrive pedals very well, either, so you’re stuck with a sterile clean or nasty distorted sound, and nothing in-between.

Now, this opinion might be based on a HIGHLY subjective parameter—my playing technique...I think they’re well-made, excellent amplifiers for everybody to try—but I just don’t bond with them.

Again, just MHO, YMMV.

Teleka likes this.
  7. grolan1

grolan1 Friend of Leo's

Somewhere in the middle of the flippin country
    Generalizing here and no expert... I've tried several boogies, twice a Blue Angel which so far is still my favorite but still ended up moving on/past them. I have heard the Lonestar is a fantastic amp though but not tried it...never really got the clean sound I wanted with the ones I've owned.

8. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

The F-30's are great amps I can't say a bad thing about them. I bought one new in 2002 and it's been my #1 to this day. Great clean sound and very pedal friendly.

3-Chord-Genius and uriah1 like this.
  9. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

A friend of mine has one. Good clean sound, overdrive not so much. If you need a good onboard reverb forget it--Mesa makes some great reverbs (like my Lonestar) but the F-30 is lacking.

10. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

I’ve been using a F50 combo since 2004. This version uses 6L6GCs. I also have a Mini Rec 25 that uses EL84s and that also sounds fine to me.

I like the glassy clean and the drive channels. Lush reverb and foot switchable mid scoop. Plenty of range to adjust EQ and gain to get a variety of sounds.

I get most of my sounds from a pedal board these days and like the fact the F50 gives me loads of clean headroom.

I think the F series are relatively cheap as second hand Mesas go. But it was replaced by the Express series which has had a much longer production run and is more popular. If I had to replace the F50 it would likely be with a 5.50 Express.

11. darren7

darren7 Tele-Holic

I had an F-30 head and loved it. I paired it with two Mesa Thiele 1x12 cabs, and it sounded awesome. The EQ section doesn't do much, but the two channels are voiced beautifully. It'll do a nice snarly breakup, and kicking in the contour mode, you can get pretty insane amounts of gain.

If I played out more, I would have kept it, but with no band and no gigs in the foreseeable future, I decided to part with it. The truth is, I only really used it for recording. All of my live work was with a modelling rig.

12. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Best clean sound I ever had with a Boogie was with the Studio 22, not far behind was the Rocket 44, that was a great platform for pedals and had more than enough for gigging, Studio 22 falls a wee bit short in a full band situation. F30 had a really crystal clear clean sound but just too squeaky clean for me, you might like it.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  13. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

I have one. I agree with McGlamrock. It's a great amp, good cleans, and overdrive. Portable, dependable, and versatile.

uriah1 likes this.
  14. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

The Mesa noise issue is the biggest concern to me. I'll be sure to check out the amp before I bring it home.

Has anyone tried taming the hotness of the dirty channel with a lower gain V1 or V2 tube... AT7, AU7, AY7, etc?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  15. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nope Studio series was first then DC Dual Caliber. Then F series.

exactopposite and Driver3 like this.
  16. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

I made the trade and picked this amp up... after a speaker/tube swap, I love it! As I expected, a Celestion V-type speaker sounds great in it. 12AU7 in V2 also tamed the raunchy overdrive down to a great classic rock sound.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I had one of these back in the day, and yep, great-sounding clean amp.

18. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

I got to play the amp with my band last night and it was exactly what I was looking for. The rest of the band really liked it too. A light compression/chorus and it nails the 80s clean tone perfectly. The dirty channel sounds very classic rock with a 12AU7 tube in the V2 slot - recommended. The latent noise from the amp is a bit than I would like, but I've had 3 Boogies now and I think it just goes with the territory with them.

19. Larsenpeople

Larsenpeople NEW MEMBER!

I did had V1 and V2 switched. V2 to AU7 I believe, and V1 remained AX7, both NOS high grade tubes.
    The Clean channel became more musical and complex, also a bit fatter. Success!
    The drive channel gain dropped as expected, settings below noon are now in classic rock territory. Unfortunately this mod revealed some stiffness I had hard time to bond with. I left this amp to rest for a couple years to refresh my ears.

I went back to it today and felt exactly the same : a rigid tone that makes my playing less interesting. Some kind of dryness with a strong attack and rapid decay. Really uninspiring. My favorite amp is the the Lonestar Classic, and it feels like the opposite.
    Maybe a low gain high grade tubes sound too hi-fi for this application. Or maybe it’s the V30, I have never liked it in any amp.
    At this point, I’m hesitating between swapping the speaker or selling the amp.

I tried hard to like the f30 and always felt like there was a code to crack to make it sound glorious. I’m not so sure anymore. I think the actual voicing of the amp is pretty stiff and knob tweaking doesn’t do much difference (unusual for a Mesa).

Anyone has experience with a different speaker in the V30 ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.