Any Old Tube Radio Collectors here?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Don Mare, Aug 27, 2008.

1. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Purchased my first tube phono about 2 months ago. It was $10 (circa 1960) and needed some parts. Quite different than guitar amps, IMO...no PT, half-wave recto, strange power tubes. Interesting though.

2. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I had this one afew years ago, I made it from a junk store 'find', but it worked well.

[​IMG]

I eventually sold it to a local photographer for their store.

3. div

div Tele-Meister

I got a Zenith clock/ am radio at a flea market last spring. I believe its from the 50's & bakelite. I said "does it work?", they said "I don't know". I said "how much", they said "$5".

First time I turned it on it took a long time for the tubes to heat up but it works perfect, great reception, clock is silent and keeps good time. cleaned up pretty nice too. little (4"?) alnico speaker in there, coil antenna, probably original tubes.

I thought I lucked out and got somethig halfway valuable but after looking around on the net I see its probably only worth $25, tops. I'm surprised how cheap these things are.

They are cool to have around & I may get some more myself. Do you afficionados have any suggestions about makes/ models to look for?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.