1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any old school Dungeons & Dragons players here?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Back when I was in high school, circa 1980 or so, my friends and I loved to play the classic Dungeons & Dragons. We would have epic 24+ hour gaming sessions, always a blast, playing our characters, rolling dice - yes, we were gaming geeks.

Then computers and video games took over and thus ended our table top adventures.

Well my younger 14 year old son happened to mention the other day that he wanted to play the classic D&D game... and just like that, Santa brought him the Dungeon Master Guide, Players Handbook and Monster Manual... plus the dice, DM screens and more. My son and his friends want to play, which is way cool.

Now I get to be a Dungeon Master for the first time in over 30 years.

How have things changed in D&D land over the last 30 years? Any good tips for being a DM these days? Computer software I should use? I want to keep the game going at a fast pace and hopefully those young teens will be entertained.

We're going to start with the Scepter Tower of Spellgard for levels 2 thru 4, then eventually play The Sinister Spire for levels 5 thru 7. Should be fun! Advice and suggestions appreciated thanks.

Who else here has played the classic Dungeons & Dragons game?

Take care....

2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i played that a few times...my character was a shaolin monk named chin lee!

3. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

How old school do you want? Growing up in Madison, the guys I learned from were at the UW from Lake Geneva, and played in Gygax's basement.

How have things changed in the last since 1982? Suffice it to say that things aren't the same these days. However, also let it be said that the old books still work.

And what made a good GM then still does today. The system doesn't really matter all that much. Who you're playing with does.

4. StuH

StuH Friend of Leo's

I played quite a bit when I was a young teen.

Man I must have had at least 20 scenarios and all the hard covered rule books.
    Played for about 4 yrs between the ages of 12 to 16. I ended up giving all my D&D stuff to my nephew. Not sure if he even used it.

5. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

Roll surprise!!!!!!!

I played with some buddies back in the late 70's/early 80's for several years. We were all in our 20's, pretty much, so Sunday was gaming day and we'd play at least 8 hours and have a blast...

My fav character was a dwarven fighter who managed to get a wish and became dual classed as...a fighter/mage!!! The only dwarven mage EVER!!! His best buddy was an elven mage...

We stayed mostly within the traditional ADD framework, but used a few "modern" enhancements from the manual that had the "cavalier" character class.

Good times...I wish I still had my sheets, but they were left unattended in a basement long ago.

6. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

We played quite a bit for a few years back in junior high and high school. I don't even remember what happened to all of my books and such. IIRC my best character was a 20 something level Bard who could cast some spells, had Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and some crazy sword that I can't remember the name of.

Good times. I'd agree that a good DM is still a good DM, though I'd be interested to know how/if technology has reshaped the game too.

7. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

Did you happen to mention to your son how D&D can seriously endanger the chances of losing your virginity before 40?

P.S.

I'm only joking, try him out on the Baldur's Gate series of games.

8. Mr_Mer

Mr_Mer Tele-Holic

Very much still involved, not necessarily with AD&D. My favorite all time module was and is The Temple of Elemental Evil.

Proud owner of a Mr. Gaygax autographed red, blue and green box original D&D, and Chainmail book.

9. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Yep, I ran D&D and AD&D back from 77 up through about 95. I'm more of a Shadowrun geek now and lots of board games.

I haven't kept up on the D&D side of things but as I recall, it's much more of a miniatures oriented system. If you got 4th edition, you might want to check out the Monster Vault (I think that's right) which has a crapload of monster discs to be used during games.

As to technique, it's still the same. Keep things moving and have fun. :)

Game room:

[​IMG]

The bottom two shelves are mostly D&D; 1st ed on up through 4th.

[​IMG]

The bottom shelf and the tabletop is mostly Shadowrun; 1st through 4th editions.

[​IMG]

I've added quite a bit since those pics. I'll need to update my gallery here soon :) Good luck and have fun.

Carl

10. mickeydean

mickeydean Friend of Leo's

+1 baldur's gate. Check out D&D online and LOTRO for sure.

11. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

I actually went up to Wisconsin with friends in the late 70's to some of the first D & D " conventions." The only books available at the time I started playing were the DM's Guide, Player's Manual and Monster Manual ( which was brand new ). I played until I hit puberty and then I moved on to gal's and skateboarding.

12. promagnum

promagnum Tele-Holic

I would have thought some of you older guys would have played in real dungeons with real dragons!

13. puremania

puremania Tele-Holic

I'm actually meeting with some friends of mine, tonight, for our weekly D&D 3.5 campaign. Once they're done playtesting, and our campaign is done, we're hoping to start a D&D Next campaign.

Hope he loves it, it's a great hobby.

14. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

LOL I was just searching for a vid from IT Crowd :lol:

Ruddy mysterious!

Never played D&D; tried gaming with some other system with some friends but I really sucked.

15. puremania

puremania Tele-Holic

Eiffel Tower!!

16. AirBagTester

AirBagTester Friend of Leo's

:lol:

17. Kineada

Kineada Tele-Meister

Played D&D and AD&D off and on over the years, with various groups of people. We also got into the various Palladium games series like Palladium Fantasy, Rifts, and the Robotech licensed RPG. Good times, good time.

On a semi-related geeky subject, I've played and STILL play on an multi-user dungeon (MUD) that's been running on the Internet since 1998, called Waterdeep. It's an all text-based RPG meets MMO that is based on some Forgotten Realms stuff with a sprinkling of Final Fantasy themes mixed in. Lots of fun there too.

18. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

I did not play as a youth, but meet twice a month and play 3.5 now. Our group ranges from 30 yrs old to 41.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.