Any "old school" BMXers here?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Jul 31, 2020.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I never rode competitively, but I was huge into BMX dirt in the early 80s, riding a... Mongoose of course!

Then I got into freestyling and riding street in the late 80s, and worked for a bike shop in my hometown that furnished me with just about as much GT gear as I could use.

Anyway, I have this itch to get another 20" BMX bike, just to ride around the neighborhood for the fun of it. The new bikes are generally NOT EQUIPPED WITH BRAKES! And the small geared sprockets do not appeal to me.

So I started looking for a old 80s GT... maybe a Pro Performer, Pro Freestyle, or even a World Tour.... they're all basically the same bike. HOLY COW... they've become collectable. People are asking stupid money for them now.

So I have been cruising Craigslist, looking for a deal on something, so that I won't feel bad about putting a little money into modifying it with brakes or sprocket, or chasing out the handlebars. But I've been looking for a few months now, and I can't find anything interesting at all.

2. DLReed

DLReed Tele-Meister

3. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

When did that start? I don't remember anyone doing that in the 60's or 70's.

gridlock likes this.
  4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

We were always trying to bmx our regular bikes.... 28"ers and dragstars... we sure busted a few too...

I was a pre Mongoose bmxer....:rolleyes::D

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  5. Steve Jeffries

Steve Jeffries TDPRI Member

Old school freestyle was my lifeblood for many many years. If you get a chance, do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of this book.

upload_2020-7-31_20-30-51.jpeg

6. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    Dirt racing was pure 70s... and early 80s. Then it started morphing into "trick riding" by the early 80s.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  7. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    Will do! Thanks for the tip.

Do yourself a favor too, and watch this. Very cool.

8. pedro58

pedro58 Tele-Meister

I still have two of my childhood BMX bikes. One is a Schwinn Sting, pretty much complete. The other is the frame, forks, handlebars, and maybe the cranks of a Moosegoose.

9. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    When I went off to college, my dad decided to convert the garage at our home into a den/home theater room. As he was cleaning everything out of the garage, some kids in the neighborhood saw my bikes (all GT) and asked about them. Dad thought he was being a good guy... and gave the bikes away to the kids. These were not "Big Box" bikes. These were highly customized bikes with high-end components. Dad was so proud of himself, "I gave your bikes to some kids in the neighborhood who didn't have bikes." o_O

pedro58, Jakedog and Telecaster88 like this.
  10. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted

Dude, go for a 24" bmxer. They are easier to ride for us old guys, and they flow through the jump lines well.

11. TheGoodTexan

Admin Post
    That's good to hear. I don't know anything about the 24"ers. Is that what they call a "cruiser" ?

12. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

My son was a bmx back in the early 80s. At 9 he had OK 1 for a number.! We don't still have any of the bikes though gave them to other kids many years ago. After 10 he quit and went to motorcycles.

13. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

That's the most 80s thing I've seen this month.

I never had a true 'BMX' bike, but I had friends who did. I had 2nd hand Schwinn Stingrays that weighed 3x as much and didn't have the cool alloy wheels. However, I had a ton of moxie, and a Cheater Slick on the back. I'd often challenge anyone to a race around the block or down the alley and I didn't lose a heck of a lot.

It was one of my first forays into competitiveness. I always wish I had actually gotten into proper BMX racing because I was driven as a kid.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  14. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was a dirt rider. Never got into street and freestyle. I got back into it maybe fifteen years ago. Briefly. I thought it would help me get in shape. But there’s nowhere to ride dirt around here that I could find, and at my size and weight (quite a bit bigger than I was as a teen) that bike was a liability and a PITA in city traffic. So I went road bike instead and started going for mileage rather than air.

I still have the bike out in the garage. A Mirraco Five Star. Nowhere near top of the line, but definitely not cheap. I almost sold it when I was out in CO. I actually listed it on CL, and woke up the next morning to see the news the Dave Mirra had passed, so I decided to keep it.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  15. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I had a GT in early 80s. Loved that bike. Nothing special. One piece cranks, etc... I loved dirt riding as soon as I could ride a bike (4 or 5). First full size bike was a stingray with knobby tires and motorcycle handlebars. BMX took off in my area soon after, so I got a schwinn BMX bike. A few years late (6th grade or so) I got the GT.

I was never very brave as a youngster, not the most aggressive or competitive, so my age group started leaving me behind. I have good balance, but couldn’t get into the freestyle thing on bikes or skateboards. I saw a mountain bike for the first time at the bike shop and had to get it. That became my thing.

Mountain biking was not a huge leap for me since I had spent so much time on dirt and trail riding as a youngster. That, and I already had good experience with hand braking and freewheel on rough stuff from riding my GT. But where I had been limited on where I could ride on 20 inch wheels and one gear, on a mountain bike I could go anywhere. No one to compete with but myself.

Fun story for retro bike folks... Both the original AME and Oakley grip companies started in my area. I knew a kid from the family that started AME, and the guy that started Oakley was from my church. The word was he got a loan from the church bishop and started making grips in his garage!

Fast forward a few years (1987 or so), I went on a youth group field trip to visit what by then had become the Oakley sunglass factory (still in south Orange County. It moved a few years later). The guy was a multizillionaire by that point. He let us see everything except the “top secret” room, where Oakley Blade lenses were being lazer cut.

Get this. He said by then they had stopped making grips. They still had a bunch of Oakley 3 grips in a big vat they were just giving away! He said we could help ourselves.

None of us took any! None of us road BMX bikes anymore! :lol:

Years later I’m looking through EBay for some bike parts, and sure enough I see retro BMX has become a thing. Guess how much a used beat up pair of Oakley 3 grips are worth? :cry:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=143657579004

TwangToInfinity and Jakedog like this.
  16. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

In the early '80s I was the store manager of a pro bmx shop. (Bike Route Schwinn in Houston)
    We sold all the top brands and sponsored a race team.
    Of course we sold tons of Schwinn 3spd, etc, etc.
    We were the biggest Vans dealer in Texas, including all dept. stores like Foleys, etc.
    I still have a 26" OM Flyer that is from 1981.
    26" cruisers went out of fashion when the 24" cruisers came along.
    My boss knew I was looking for a bike for my mom to ride around the 'hood so he gave me the OM Flyer which was our last 26" race bike.
    I built my first mountain bike about this time using some old frame and bmx parts.

Mark

TwangToInfinity likes this.
  17. Area51

Area51 Tele-Holic

I raced BMX in the 70s. I had a Diamondback.

Then went to road bike racing in the 80s. Did some mtb'ing in the early years, even road the first worlds, 1990, in Durango. By the mid 90's the racing style changed from long cross-country courses to more technical circuits. At that point I pretty much gave up mtb racing.

Basically, I was never explosive enough for old school bmx racing and not technical enough for modern mtb racing. But put me on the a tough road course!

Whatizitman likes this.
  18. pedro58

pedro58 Tele-Meister

My mom kept these and insisted I take them when she and Dad finally downsized. I have been meaning to list them on FB marketplace or C'list. They have no appeal to anyone but collectors. My son rode the Schwinn until he outgrew it.

19. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted

Yes sir, it is indeed a cruiser. I had one not too long ago for about a year, and had to sell it to cover higher priorities. It was so much fun to pedal around on.

20. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

yes i was so old school we used to make homemade ones back in the day, late 70's! we would take our chopper type bikes and put ten speed seats and mini dirt bike handlebars on them, constantly tweaking and modifying grinding pedal pins out of bolts and stuff like that

later in the late 80's i wanted to get back into it so i found some parts at a garage sale and bought parts from the local store. that bike is a used race inc frame, tange trx fork, sugino one piece crank, cant remember the pedals, or seat, 80's gt performer bars and stem, and tuff 1 rims with good old coasterbrake, the cherry on top of that bike is front and rear tire 70's slick groovetread gtx-442's! front and back! i still have it in deep storage .

in around 2001 i got this, a 90's last of the usa made pk ripper xl in DSC03471.JPG awesome anodized blue! i always wanted a pk

pulled it out today for a pic havnt touched it in years

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.