Any of your guitars that you've rediscovered?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, it's with Guitarists and guitars as it is with Women and shoes, one simply isn't enough and we all have our mainstays and treasured favorites. But there are always some which fall in between, ones that will have you go, Oh yeah I still own THAT one too.

Today, after it spend nearly a year on the same stand in my bedroom I decided to give the "Boardcaster" a whirl.
    Boardcaster 1.jpg
    Boardcaster 2.jpg
    So what is the "Boardcaster?" Well it thanks its name from the fact that I made it out of my old pedalboard, I also made it to use up old parts I had lying around, such as the fingerboard and Trussrod which came from my broken Epiphone Les Paul Custom.

So after having not used that one for quite some time, what are my findings?
    - I didn't remember it being that heavy, but then again I switched to playing smaller body types.
    - Biggest neck ever. I took the Boardcaster to several jam sessions not long after I finished building it and people were going "That thing is HUGE!" and after having played it for a while they'd go "But it plays like a dream."
    - The placement of the volume and the three way switch is perfect, on my two main guitars, the switch is in an awkward place, I need to mod them to have the switch in a space where it makes sense.

OR I should bring out the Boardcaster out more often.

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I try to rotate my herd periodically…and I’m always pleasantly surprised at how much I love my first electric guitar, a 1980 G&L F-100…it feels and sounds like nothing else I own; my drummer/producer insists I bring it out when recording harder-edged rock tunes…and it’s gorgeous, too.

Here ‘tis with my first amp (which I still own, too).

73811352-A307-4732-9BE2-E97EC35ABBC8.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  3. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Got this cheap from a shop in Florida. It is a student guitar from the Midi School in Beijing. Shop owner rec’d it mixed in with a batch of Chinese squiers. Really a lovely guitar, 60s specs, high quality build. Haven’t used it much because it’s a heavy guitar, But I recently put on a new set of strings and it’s sitting on the couch at arms reach and have been enjoying it

E8443DC9-6C90-48A8-A966-56157AF009A7.jpeg

4. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

looks cool...the stickers set it off

5. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My herd is pretty paltry compared to others here, and I don’t play as much as I used to was, but I am pleased to say that I have reached a point where I spread my love relatively evenly across them. On the other hand, I do miss the feeling of “oh, yeah, I’d forgotten why I love this one!”

SparkleFart, Ron C and Fiesta Red like this.
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

It’s late snd I’m tired. But maybe it’s rediscovery time. I’ll take this one out tomorrow. I’ve had the same Strat out for a month. It’s time for a change.
    D29A207E-5D1D-403E-8E09-E9CE5CC23B4C.jpeg
    Wow. It’s been a while. That’s the old furniture.

7. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Bought this Austin LP Special copy for $80 back 2015. Shortly afterwards, I got promoted at work and a bunch of family/life stuff happened. Essentially, I quit playing for 5 years and only played this guitar a couple of times, unplugged for less than 10 minutes total.

I started playing again in 2020 and "rediscovered" the Austin. It plays great and sounds great - nice beefy neck and weights 8 pounds. It's in regular rotation now.

[​IMG]

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I rotate mine almost daily, but I have spent the last few years still searching for that magic I had with my old strat. I pick it up at least once a week. I know the mojo is there, I just can’t find it.:(

guitar_paul1, Fiesta Red and Skyhook like this.
  9. StoneH

StoneH Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I rediscovered why my Fender nylon string guitar was hanging on the wall . . . because Fender had no business making a nylon string guitar.

10. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Afflicted

Oh yeah!!!

Well, sort of….

My Les Paul Faded Special wasn’t getting much play since I’d discovered PRS. It had stayed in the case, in a closet in the spare bedroom for probably a year.

But it’s also the only guitar with any emotional attachment.

I changed the tuners to correct an issue that was the result of a fall off the stand (no broken headstock!). The chrome button Grovers look perfect, even on a beat up Special.

Most importantly, I changed out the pickups for Duncan Phat Cats and dropped to 9-42 strings.

My preferences had changed since I got it. The Slim Taper profile wasn’t my favorite and I really wasn’t happy with the sounds.

The lighter gauge strings and pickups sorted out the sounds. I love how it sounds, and with the lighter strings, I love how it plays.

It’s back on the stand and in the rotation with my Strat and my S2 Standard 24.

SparkleFart and Fiesta Red like this.
  11. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

I normally use my USA Sheraton Reissue on stage, and my partscaster for practice, but lately I've taken to playing my Heritage H550 on stage. One tends to forget the visual impact of this guitar, and the tonal range (with a piezo bridge) can go from semi acoustic crisp to the darkest woody jazz tones one could want. I especially like to play it with the ton rolled almost completely down on the neck pickup and the piezo rolled in to produce a huge bottom end with a lot of zing from the piezos. I had forgotten how versatile the tones can be. 20171114_133120.jpg

12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

My first US tele hadn't seen the light of day much over the past decade of building my own guitars and playing them...

Plugged it in recently, it was near in tune and it just sounded/felt like that same magic that made me buy it in the first place...:cool::D

83 tele 1.jpg

13. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Of late my basses. I stopped playing as much because if arthritis in fretting hand, but with exercise and the better climate in Spain I am able to play more as I used too, which is fun. I began on bass and it is my first stringed love.

14. StoneH

StoneH Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

The truth is . . . all of my guitars were hanging on the wall a few months ago. These three are back in action and will remain so until I can't physically play them any longer. I'm unlikely to perform live ever again, but I am learning home recording and playing every day for the first time in 39 years. I thought it was 40 years until I found a band picture with a date on it (at least I only lost a year, Ozzy and Lemmy lost decades).

Guitars and MIDI.jpg

15. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I got a couple of new guitars recently and put this one away. It's a '99 Japan Ibanez S Classic SCR-220. It's a weird model that's kind of rare. Nobody knows about it so it would sell for low $.

Anyway, I decided to thin the herd down to three and was going to sell it. But, I plugged it in the other day to get it ready for sale and can't put it down. It's really light and comfortable and just plays and sounds so good. Like every other time I pondered moving it on, I then decided to keep it.

There isn't much original on it except the body and neck. All of the hardware was replaced over the years. DiMarzio anniversary set, but I replaced the bridge magnet with an A2. Wilkinson/Gotoh VS100N tremolo and Gotoh locking tuners

I guess I'll keep 4 guitars and stash one under a bed.

PXL_20211018_165226315.jpg

16. gregorychasemusic

gregorychasemusic TDPRI Member

20210802_160639.jpg
    I seem to fall in love all over again everytime this gal comes out of the case. There's just something inspiring that happens and I can't really explain it.

guitar_paul1, Blazer, mimmo and 3 others like this.
  17. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I got this in a trade for a Squier '51.
    I was looking for a hollowbody guitar and one came up on CL. I called to meet the guy and told him I wanted cash on his end as well as I loved that '51. He offered an ostrich skin covered tweed case in addition to the guitar and I agreed.

IMG_1888.jpg

I did not recognize the brand "ventura" but the fit and finish was really good. The pickups are kind of a low output filtertron with an individual volume and tone per pickup. They sound fantastic through a clean amp and it chimes for days.

It had been in its case for at least two years before I pulled it out. I had bought an Ibby AS53 which I thought would scratch my hollowbody itch even though I had this one. After two years, I was moving some guitars around in the closet and pulled this one out. I was going to sell it but made the mistake of plugging it in.
    Oh baby, it does something that the Ibby doesn't and it is good.

So I have two hollow bodies in the stable.

SparkleFart and guitar_paul1 like this.
  18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Big Baby Alvarez Parlor

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

I sort of rediscover them. Like @Dan German, I don't have a big collection so it's hard for a guitar to get forgotten.

There's a single pickup jazz box, a twin pickup thin hollow, a steel string acoustic and a classical. (I'm not counting my Tele partscaster which I'll have up for sale this week...)

So with each guitar so different from the other, it's more a question of which type of music I feel like playing at the moment, then choose the instrument that fits it best (or fits it worst, then have some fun making it work!)

Yes, sometimes I get so in a rut with one type of music that I ignore - but never forget - one or more of the guitars.

SparkleFart likes this.
  20. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Love that Larrivee Parlor.

I had one of the all maple, satin finish ones without binding for about 5 years. It sounded great and played so easily that other guitars just seemed like work.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.