Any of you guys use guitars as a "canvas"?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Just curious, with the abundance of $40 unplayable acoustic guitars on CL, do any of you guys use guitars for art projects/ Not making them playable but just decorative wall hangers. I make custom birdhouses in my spare time and they are not really for birds, just folk art pieces really and was thinking of doing the same thing with cheap acoustics.

2. fuzzbender

fuzzbender Former Member

You've got it Bones. Excellent. The value is in what you do with it.

3. taxer

taxer Banned

My initial intent for this guitar was exactly what you say: wall art. I bought a cheap Squier Bullet Strat and bought a nice guitar wall hanger set in which the guitar can be hung on the wall horizontally, not vertically. I painted the guitar, picked out a perfect spot on a main wall, installed the hangers...but then decided I like playing the guitar more than looking at it.

My wall art became a great, fun guitar to play. I have a feeling the same thing will happen to you. You don't put that much work into a guitar just to have it hanging on a wall; and unlike a canvas, a guitar has actual use.

[​IMG]

4. meric

meric Tele-Holic

Great job taxer...you're guitar looks like a party ready to break out any minute!

5. qwerty95

qwerty95 Tele-Holic

I don't, but one of my friends seems to think that's why acoustic guitars are made. She decided to surprise me when I left my very expensive Martin, given to me by my uncle, at her house. She COVERED it in paint. Thank god it was latex and she didn't try to sand it or anything, I was able to just peel the paint off it. But damn, that pissed me off. She didn't even ask if she could, or how much the guitar was worth.

6. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Wow, that's some friend. Glad you were able to salvage the guitar.

7. Anchoret

Anchoret Friend of Leo's

Great story.

Moronic women getting "art impulses" are an underrated menace not covered by insurance.

A friend was a comic book collector (yeah, I know, geek city) and his brainless GF decided to surprise him with an "artistic" collage made up of about $2000 worth of his cut-up comics.

No, don't paint even marginal guitars.

8. Duncas

Duncas Friend of Leo's

in my school someone did an art project in smashing an acoustic then hanging the pieces from the ceiling so it looked like it was stop motioned smashing. it came down some time ago. probably in a cpboard somewhere

at the end of year 11 in England its customary to write good luck on the shirts of your school mates. one lad had an old acoustic and a sharpie. we all wrote on that.

i want my brother (extremally creative) to do some art on an old LP copy but havent found the time yet

9. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

No, and I wouldn't let anyone sign a guitar with a sharpie either. It's a totally different thing to have an unusual design as the finish of a solid body guitar. Painting something on an old acoustic and displaying it on your wall is another and in my opinion not a good look. My wife wouldn't allow it on the walls anyway.

10. Stoked

Stoked Tele-Meister

I taught my buddy how to play guitar on a cheap epiphone acoustic during our last year in highschool and at the end of the year we thought it would be cool to draw on some of our favorite artists at the time to have something to look back on in later years. It was a fun project and I think it turned out pretty well...

[​IMG]

11. Balou

Balou Tele-Meister

You know that's exactly why we love them , isn't it ?
    Because they're so spontaneus sometimes !:lol:

12. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

nice work. very good replica of George Harrison's "Rocky" strat. almost looks like you used some of Patti Boyd's own "nail varnish"

13. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

Fixed.

14. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

Funny this should come up.
    My mom is 87 years old and an artist. I figured she won't be around forever so last week I gave her a butterscotch affinity Squier and asked her to paint it...however she saw fit. It should be at least interesting to see what she comes up with. I told her to do anything she wanted with it and she couldn't hurt it so feel free to paint it everywhere/anywhere...body....headstock....neck...controls....whatever.

This will be a guitar I'll never part with.

15. Bongocaster

Bongocaster Friend of Leo's

After our local entertainment awards a group of arty grrls give out humorous awards, at the after party, that they make themselves. I donated an old Silvertone/Danelectro to them. It was just the body and neck, completely stripped and I offered it around as a project before I did it. Nobody wanted to turn it back into a guitar.

16. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

I thought of getting an old $40.00 guitar and shooting a bunch of holes in it with .44 cal full metal jackets...just to see if it would change the tone...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.