Any of you guys knowledgeable about men's suits?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Colo Springs E, Feb 12, 2012.

1. PineBomb

PineBomb Tele-Holic

Attorneys living the active lifestyle? Show me that.

I might buy a sport coat off the rack, but my suits are tailor spec'd. I'm not being fancy. I'm just done with having my alterations getting F'd up all the time. I mean ALL THE TIME. If you're handy with tailor's tape you can take your own measurements, order from overseas, and pay the same as off-the-rack in the US--so long as you don't mind the global economic implications. Another good bit of advice is getting an extra pair of pants per suit (not an option for pre-owned of course), because the pants get more mileage than the jacket.

Don't get me wrong. I like the baggy, sheik looking thing just fine. But no one should have to wear ugly. And while I'm at it, I despise the anachronistic vestige of the necktie.

2. the embezzler

the embezzler Tele-Holic

Absolutely! Some guys despise them even though they've never worn them. I think it's one of the places where you can assert your own identity when wearing a suit - a plain solid colour, perhaps something dotted to offset pinstripes, maybe a classic regimental stripe?

3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I used to be in Apex then Rotary Clubs. I learnt a few basic rules. Firstly the tie should be a Windsor knot and the point on the belt line- no gap showing shirt. The tie should be in proportion to the lapel- thin lapel thin tie. Colour of the tie should be darker for formal wear, lighter for joyous occassions such as weddings.Never take a jacket off if at a formal affair. As to buttons, top button done up lower one(s) can be left undone. Shoes always darker than suit, usually black.Black tie (tux) NEVER alter it after you've arrived.You don't have to spend huge bucks just wear it right. Chris Isaac is a good example of how to wear a suit. Mostly, look as if you feel comfortable and completely at ease- guys who rarely wear suits look like they aren't comfortable.Lastly, always have a suit- you may be called upon to wear one to a funeral , wedding or interview, formal occassion. For what it's worth, you need a tux on a cruise, as you will need one when youré invited to the Captain's table. Just some tips for you all.

4. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

I have a nice collection of vintage sharkskin suits. You used to be able to find them for $20-$30 at Salvation army stores before all that become fodder for the retro craze They all fit like like the OP's post picture. Men used to dress with a lot more style.

5. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

It seems that...

these guys are from Houston, Texas...

[​IMG]

But I could swear that I grew up seeing them in S.E. North Carolina!

:lol:

6. tele salivas

Can't stand the boxy look. :mad: Find a good Korean or Jewish mom and pop tailor/seamstress operation. They will know their stuff and are not afraid to tighten up the suits to your body form. Might get a little cozy down there during measurement, but it's all part of the process:p.

7. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If nice material and fitted properly, a very nice look in my opinion.

8. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

I do notice that many of the male participants in Judge Judy wear shirts and suits that are a couple of sizes too big. Even the lean guys that could carry a tighter fit often do this.

9. Westerly Sunn

Shades of:

Chandler: He said he was going to do my inseam, then he ran his hand up my leg, and then there was definite...
    Ross: What?
    Chandler: ...Cupping.
    Joey: That's how they do pants! First they go up one side, they move it over, then they go up the other side, they move it back, and then they do the rear. What? Ross, Ross? Would you tell him? Isn't that how they measure pants?
    Ross: Yes, yes it is. In prison!

10. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

Well not that there is anything wrong with that...;)

Actually what I was referring to is going too far outside the main stream of the organization, or the line of work you are involved with
    Dressing for the job you want is fine, but if your boss is a MW/Timex type of guy, and the CEO is wearing traditional Brooks Brothers and a Hamilton, and you show up in a euro designer in a tight cut, with a gold Rolex you may be perceived as over paid, out of touch, looking to move on etc.
    I would also be wary of relying too much on Esquire, it has developed a very artsy slant and while their recommendations may fly in NYC or LA creative circles, they may be suspect in more traditional fields and firms in smaller cities.

11. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The cargo pockets on that model's trousers are virtually in-detectible.

Peace - Deeve

12. dman

dman Tele-Afflicted

Well, thanks for the vote of confidence, but in my case, I probably look like an unmade bed.

Just don't know why cargo pants can't be considered formal wear.

13. Mark Moore

Mark Moore Tele-Afflicted

It's The Official Matlock Fan Club. :lol:

14. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

i think i'll take my 'how to wear a suit' lessons from Leonard Cohen instead of a GQ model

15. Westerly Sunn

A man with aspirations of Dapperdom could take his lead from far worse than:

[​IMG]

Leastwise; methinks he could... :lol:

16. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Get a good sized steamer, you'll save tons of money without having to dry clean.

17. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah you should actually avoid dry cleaning when you can, it's hard on your suits.

18. tele salivas

Hmmm, I've been going to one tailor since I was about 14. I don't know any different, either.:lol:

19. zooropamofo

zooropamofo Tele-Afflicted

In the first picture, I'm in a suit this past summer for my best friend's wedding. I think it fits ok. I'm on the left. If our jams ever hit it big, this'll be our debut album cover:lol:

If I'm in a situation whereby I have to wear a suit every day....I'm gonna be callin' Marty's tailor.

20. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

Personally I don't consider anything that hasn't been properly tailored in Britain a suit. I went to a posh school where at 16 every rich kid took a trip down to Saville Row to get a nice Dress suit, Morning suit and Regular Suit. Most of those kids looked better then even the most narcissistic American businessman flexing some designer rubbish.

Luckily I never have to wear a suit because I don't think I could afford any worth getting.

If I could I'd probably go here:

http://www.h-huntsman.com/

An average looking suit will look worse then about anything else in the world. Also it's not just the suit. You have to have the right shirts, shoes, socks, cufflinks, ties, pins, etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.