Any of you guys jam with loopers?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Marquee Moon, Oct 8, 2019.

1. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I don't use a phrase looper because I would just trip all over the pedals. I can't use a wah-wah without losing my balance. That's why I like touch-wah or mutron, it's feets free.

2. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The end of my FX loop on my pedal board is:

Beat Buddy Mini -> Ditto Looper -> Amp FX Return

I use it for practice a lot. I really like the way I have it setup because in the FX loop it's after any amp drive or anything else. So drums never distort, and I can have as many different guitar sounds as I want on the different tracks in the looper. What I typically do is:

- Start the Beat Buddy for a drum track
    - Wait for 1 to come around and start
    - Maybe record a psuedo bass line with the neck pickup with the tone rolled way off
    - Turn off the beat buddy
    - record a rhythm track with some other sound (turn some pedals on/off, change amp channel, change volume/tone on guitar, etc..)
    - Practice playing the solo/melody on top of it all (change the sound again)

Having the drums going into the ditto has helped me a lot with improving my timing with the loops.

I have a 2nd ditto I got to use if I practice/play somewhere else and don't take my pedal board. I also like to plug that one into the very front of the pedal board sometimes and use it to record a loop and then fiddle with the pedals to dial something in.

pugnax likes this.
  3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I used a Jamman SoloXT for a while, then a Trio, then a Trio+

Digitech dropped the ball a little with the Trio+ by not developing it further, but thanks to some kind folk on here, I can start on the Trio+ then dump it to the Jamman ( that was a real 'oven glove' facepalm moment when that was pointed out to me ) when all the sequencing etc is sorted.

One really good thing about the Trio+ though, is the bass and drums can be sent to a mixer/P.A while the guitar signal goes to the amp as normal. I've done a few community music project shows like that and for a one-man band, it works really quite well. If only Digitech had listened to the customer base and developed further, but now they're quite cheap, I heartily commend them to you.

4. beninma

To be fair Digitech didn't drop the ball on anything. Harman/Samsung just dropped the axe on Digitech. I don't think anyone is at home at Digitech to do any developing of everything.

I had a Jamman Solo XT as well... I was much more of a noob guitar player at the time but I found it a little too complicated. The only thing I really miss about it vs the much simpler Ditto is that the Jamman has a 1/8" headphone input. You could run your phone or just about anything into it. So you could record a backing track into the Jamman off your phone and then slow it down, etc.. or you could even run a keyboard or digital piano or anything into it. We have an Alesis Drum kit... I could lay down drum tracks into the Jamman now if I still had it. (And if I didn't suck at drums)

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Yamaha drum machine. I tried to send it to the Ditto once but the Ditto wouldn't record it. I guess I need to try again, but really wouldn't know what to do different. Weird

6. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

OMG.......
    Look what just crawled through the door , well this day is shot!

C2-5.JPG

7. beninma

The Beat Buddy/Beat Buddy Mini are specifically designed for guitar players.. probably part of it, they take a guitar signal as their input and mix in the drums into the instrument signal that comes out. They do have a neat thing where you can use an adapter to plug the BB/BBM into a non-guitar amp, the adapter converts the plug to 1/8" headphone out.

I think for something like a regular drum machine you need something like the Jamman series that have a dedicated line in.

8. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

No, but sometimes I jam with losers. Does that count?

uriah1 and pixeljammer like this.
  9. dalezjc

dalezjc TDPRI Member

Don't know that I jam with mine, but rather use it to capture song ideas.

Marquee Moon likes this.
  10. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

I have a Ditto but I often jam to the band in my head.

11. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

My Looper Queen....Two Boss RC-50 Loop Stations......

Theresa Andersson

and......I use a Digitech RP1000, not for the faint of heart.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019 at 11:03 PM
    pixeljammer likes this.
  12. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Guess I'm an odd ball. I use the Trio+ to build my sequenced tracks and then record them to my Jam Man Stereo usually as a "Single" instead of "Loop" so it stops when it finishes. Using the JamMan stereo makes it easier to call up your tracks by the program number and hit the start button, count in, Jam and it stops when finished. I run the JamMan out into a direct box and a mic cord to the PA. I like the full band sound going into my PA. Not as good as having real people but pretty good! Platefire

13. scooteraz

scooteraz Tele-Afflicted

I’ve been using the Digitech JamMan recently. Works well enough for what I need. Interestingly, I have been using it almost equally for my mandolin (lay down an acoustic rhythm and then noodle over with mango) as for electric. Helps me decide which P&W songs a mandolin sounds good to me (with me playing) and which I just don’t have anything to add with that instrument.

For electric, gives me something to practice over. My meager skills seem to be improving because of it.

Saw the Trio on a YouTube video, it looks interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

My foot is not fast enough. (or brain)
    I want to throw it across the room.
    I will keep trying.

15. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I saw 3.2 featuring Robert Berry last week. An opening act was a local band with the Cuda brothers; bass, guitar, drums only.

One song, the bass player started out with a rhythm that was about 12 bars. I saw him (thought I saw him?) click on a looper on stage (I assume it was a looper), then start playing a bass lead over that. Then the guitarist started with a rhythm track, looper, leads. So there was bass rhythm, bass lead, guitar rhythm, guitar lead all being played by two players.

I was impressed they were able to synch the loopers together that well. I wonder if the sound board helped with that.

It seemed like an easy way to fill in parts with less players, but man if you miss that switch and don't click it just right...

16. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I use an Amoon/Kokko mini looper (Ditto mini clone) that was around $30, half the price of any used Ditto mini's I could find at the time. I suspect it's the same factory and parts used in the Ditto just sold without all the marketing and branding.

These are nicely done videos, I think using the Boss model

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019 at 9:06 AM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.