Any of you guys jam with loopers?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Marquee Moon, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Mine does not do that. Did you change a setting?

50D1BD0D-0315-408B-BD4A-FD0983F8B5B7.jpeg

You can use one or two optional external buttons with the RC3 for different functions - separate stop/start and advance loop.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    dswo likes this.
  2. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

I use a Boomerang and like it!

Saving loops doesn't interest me. Takes just a second to lay one down....

BTW Back in the 80's I had a buddy from New Zealand. He used to call people he didn't like "loopers".
    I REALLY wish I could tell ya'll what he meant by that but would probably violate several rules here!!

:D

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  3. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I have a Boss RC50. It's very nice.
    This guy...he's good.

El Tele Lobo and Wildcard_35 like this.
  4. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

A looper is an invaluable practice tool. At a whim, lay down a progression, add some texture, solo over top until your cat starts complaining.

Live is a bit different. I don't think they have as much value there.

One tip I got a while back... keep a ditto or whatever in your pedal board bag. Put it in front of your whole chain, and play some stuff. Then dial in all your pedals and amp.

I used my ditto to break in a new speaker. Played some gentle stuff and some br00tz. Went for a beer.

5. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

Love my Count to 5. The Chase Bliss Mood is also great.

El Tele Lobo and 24 track like this.
  6. Pajama

Pajama Tele-Meister

I have been looping since the 80's. For just cataloging and recording I like the Jamman loopers. With upgraded memory you can have ridiculous amounts of memory. For more experimental loopage I have a Chase Bliss Mood, Montreal Assembly Count to 5, Red Panda Particle, and a Vox Dynamic Looper. Looping is a great way to get your rhythm chops and timing together as well as to practice playing over changes.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  7. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

Yeah I like loopers a lot, use them in various contexts

Marquee Moon, pugnax and MrClint like this.
  8. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

There's also a one track non saving looper in the Line6 M9 which is sitting under a bench somewhere around here.

I remember back in the late 1970's Jean Luc Ponty had a solo thing he'd do in concert that was simple looping. Not sure the piece of gear. At the point he'd hit the button to speed it up 2x the crowd would go wild. I think it's even on his Live album from the time. Silly.

Speaking of which, (I know I shouldn't watch equipment demos on YouTube) my perplex-o-meter always pegs at the point in the looper demo where the guy explains the 1/2, 2x, and reverse features. Yeah I've used those on occasion "because they were there" and once for some trippy thing I did on a Slaperoo at a Dead-themed open mic. But really! Does anyone actually use those in a serious fashion?

9. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

solid

:lol::lol::lol:

10. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

Great practice tool. I like to improvise a few phrases, hit the loop and play some lines over the top. I use the looper function on my Boss DD-500 delay for my electric rig and the looper function on my TC Play Acoustic for my acoustic rig. It might be nice to have dedicated box like a TC ditto but I get by.

11. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

I love to jam using a looper. It has been awhile since I explored whatever is new on the market these days, but I have enjoyed a Zoom G3 looper for several years. It has a nice feature that lets you select a drum beat, and set the tempo in beats per minute, and then select the number of beats in your loop. That way you (a) get to jam to a basic beat and (b) don't have to worry about punching in and out right on the beat since it does that for you. The downsides are (a) it only can do a loop up to 64 beats in this mode and (b) the proportion of usable rock or country drum beats, out of the total number of rhythms in its memory, is really low. That is, there are a LOT of useless (to me at least) percussion rhythms that aren't really suitable for what most guitarists are going to be doing.

An additional feature is that it lets you stack parts into the loop. So you can record the rhythm guitar part, and then add a second guitar part, and then jam live over all that, and on and on.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  12. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

I have a Digitech Jam Man Express looper I like. It doesn't allow me to store anything after powering off, but it does have a lot of memory for many layers of looping if you're into that. I think there are higher end versions of the Jam Man that probably allow you to store loops for later, though.

13. neilybob100

neilybob100 Tele-Meister

Boss RC-2 for the same reasons as @The Angle

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

14. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

I keep open power slots at the front and end of the chain of my pedal board for looper placement. At the beginning to dial in a tone from a loop, at the end to dial in a tone into the looper. Haven't tried it yet in the FX loop of my amp, I'm sure there's a cool use for it there as well.

Playing lead over a simple loop:

pugnax likes this.
  15. pugnax

pugnax TDPRI Member

I'm in a very similar situation and have a weird workflow to deal with it. I use an A/B/Y to split my dry signal from the guitar into my pedalboard and amp (A) and a DI into the interface (B) and leave both on. This gives me a raw guitar signal recording as well as whatever I'm messing around with the effects/amp (there's a line out from my attenuator/cabsim for recording signal A in tandem).

The magic is that I can "record" performances silently at home, but then I've got this amazing little tool that let's me replay that raw guitar signal into an amp later. So I can "print" all my parts, and then go into the studio and not have to touch a guitar, just play the signal into the pedalboard in the control room and record the **** out of a super loud amp in the live room and not be stressing about performance.

GuitLoop, Digital Larry and MrClint like this.
  16. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I had 2 of them, brand new, because I use 2 loopers live. I switched... but they kept switching back to Record>Overdub in lieu of Record>Playback. (ie: reverting to the default setting)
    I can't deal with having to reset them live all the time. I returned them both.

17. quadtele

quadtele NEW MEMBER!

They are there because they are trivial to add to a looper and historically more expensive to do with ancient technology. Sounds great and unique on the marketing copy. In practice, not often useful and never used.

I saw Jean Luc Ponty do the looping bit at well. Blew me away. I always wondered how expensive or one off that device was at the time.

Digital Larry and jimash like this.
  18. Guitarteach

Strange. That has never ever happened with mine. Sounds like a fault.

I think there was a firmware update I did really early on that may have fixed it. The default has always been Record > Playback > Overdub on mine too.

Were they very early ones?

19. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Actually, your picture in your earlier post shows the default as "Record>Overdub...Default setting p.6 "
    Brand new maybe 6 months ago.

20. Guitarteach

Stranger still :)

Manual might not reflect firmware update.

Seemed a silly default anyway.

schmee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.