Any of you guys jam with loopers?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Marquee Moon, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

Basically, I go long period playing on my own, writing and practicing, with intermittant bursts of studio playing with a great group of guys. Something that really helps my writing was the ditto looper as far writing, but i just discovered that loopers are great for composing solos, because you can just take endless passes until you get it just right. However, the one I own, only stores one song at a time, and I sure would like to go back to some stuff I wrote. For some reason having the back track coming out of the amp as opposed to my crappy computer speakers gives it a much better feel as far as performance goes. I also like it better than having to play engineer on home demos, because it totally ruins the vibe. Does anyone have any good and afforable recommendations?

pugnax, Alex W, Bergy and 2 others like this.
  2. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

Trio+

GuitLoop and 24 track like this.
  3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a few of them , roland Gr55 guitar synth , 2 Kaos pads ( KP3 ),1 Kaosolator pro, and a count to five ( montreal assembaly) I have written jams with them but dont use them as a rule, they are fun to play with though.

the count to five should arrive tomorrow what a whacked piece of gear that is

dented, JK202 and Pajama like this.
  4. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I jam a fair amount to rhythms I come up with on my Ditto. I initially had, and still have a Boss RC3, which has a lot of tricks I never use, but also stores up to 100 separate loops. So if I'd come up with something I really liked, I could save it for later and go on and make more loops to store in other memory "slots". You can also record full backing tracks into the slots through an aux-in port on the looper. I have a bunch of decent loops and a few backing tracks in there I like playing to.

But the downside is once you have a lot of loops stored in it, it can take a little bit of time to find an empty slot, so if I have an idea I'm ready to start playing, by the time I scroll through to find an empty track, I may have lost the whole thing. It started happening too much and was killing the spontaneity that a looper is so good for. So I got a Ditto and put it in front of the Boss in the chain and I basically always have it available to try new ideas into. And when I have something on the Ditto I really like, I just record it into an empty slot on the Boss. But I've found myself using the Boss less and less and the Ditto more and more and it's made me a better rhythm player because it's just more damn fun to come up with and then lay down a new, spontaneous rhythm, and then just play to it until you get sick of it. I still occasionally go over the play to something I have saved on the Boss, but it seems like I save new stuff to it from the Ditto less and less because I just enjoy coming up with new stuff rather than playing with stuff I've already done.

But if that's what you want, the Boss RC-3 is a good one for not too much money. I think Digitech makes one and NUX makes a pretty cheap one that folks seem to like...

-Ray

5. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Boss RC-2. It's more complicated than your Ditto, but it does lots more. I chose the RC-2 because it's a lot more capable than the 1 and it's a lot less expensive than the 3.

dented, neilybob100 and Toadtele like this.
  6. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Meister

Loopers have been one of the most useful tools for me and I owe a lot of my learning to them. Great for song writing, practicing solos, part writing, learning how to harmonize, and so much more. I have made a lot out of my dd7 pedal and have played that for ten years now I think, it’s not even fancy and only gives you 40 secs. I have been thinking about a new one and if I had to pick it would be either the smaller cheap jam man or the new mxr. I don’t like a lot of fancy options but both of those appear to have good sound quality.

Digital Larry likes this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Since I usually play near a computer, I just use Audacity to create loops.

Digital Larry and GuitLoop like this.
  8. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

The Trio and/or Band In A Box. You won't regret either purchase. I've been using backing tracks created by these two tools for almost 2 years now. My soloing and timing have come a long long way!

I post my trio and BIAB creations to youtube if you care to get a feel for what's possible with those tools search youtube for LiveLooperApp (my channel).

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  9. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

boss RC3.

Got a deal on mine.

99 memories and the last 10 are preloaded with some cool backing tracks.

It has a metronome and some basic drum patterns. Simple to use.

It’s a MAJOR practice tool for me.

Digital Larry and Telecaster88 like this.
  10. Erdowonge

Erdowonge Tele-Meister

All the time.I use the one button tc electronic one,ditto.

Digital Larry and MrClint like this.
  11. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I love my Boomerang. Haven’t sprung for the sidecar yet, one day...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Edit: Boomerang does not store loops, so may not be what you are looking for...)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  12. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Yup, play with a looper a lot these days.

Only trouble is, the rhythm player sucks that I have to jam along to o_O:)

13. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Holic

Looper is the only guy I jam with anymore. DigiTech jamman express. Affordable and simple.

jchinkley and Digital Larry like this.
  14. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

ok, the metronome sealed it for me. thanks man!

Telecaster88 likes this.
  15. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Side question: I like my Dittos, but I had a Boss RC3 for a while. I didn't like that the Boss started automatically recording a new loop layer once you stopped recording the first loop.
    Is there a way around that in a LIVE environment?

16. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I have had a couple Digitech Jammans. The last one was the stereo one with delay. I ran guitar into one side and bass into the other, through effects loops of their respective amps. I could get separate bass and guitar going that way and it was cool to have each one coming out of its own amp.

I've also used Quantiloop on iPad, but that requires mucking around with an audio interface, MIDI footswitch, and lots of settings.

I used SooperLooper on Linux for awhile but it's going in the opposite direction from "simple".

Now I'm experimenting with Ableton Live. But I think I may just get a simple looper pedal again to keep those fragile ideas from getting lost in the crystal lattice along with the harmonics.

Obsessed likes this.
  17. ahiddentableau

ahiddentableau Tele-Meister

Multiple tracks are really useful for home writing. It's not cheap, but the EHX 95000 is what I recommend, because you can basically use it like a 4 track. Only there are six tracks and each one is fully stereo (so it's almost like a 12 track). You arm channels one or two at a time and go. You can make the loops crazy long so long as you have memory, which is pretty easy given you can just use little SD cards. Just load your drum loop and off you go. Also: it has XLR-1/4" combo jacks for inputs so you can put your mic into it without it being an ordeal.

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 For Digitech Jamman Stereo. I have been one for years. Fantastic as @Digital Larry mentions, to run your drum and/bass lines into a bass amp and then your guitar through a guitar amp. Fantastic practice and songwriting machine with 100 loops along with a flash memory card for practically unlimited loops to save. I use the newer Trio+ that is great for coming up with a variety of basic drum styles, but I have ended up using the Trio+ into the Jamman Stereo for my ultimate songwriting work.

19. Bluetelecaster

Bluetelecaster Tele-Meister

I use one but my rythm player sucks too. If I was me I'd run me outta town!!!

dented likes this.
  20. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

For me, the beauty of the ditto looper is that it is a simple and useful scratchpad. The idea is not to build the ultimate loop and save it forever, that's what a DAW is for. The idea is to develop the skill of building accurate and useful loops to improve rhythm, timing and layering musical elements on the fly. Can you lay down a chord progression, beat, etc, with a clean beginning and end, and then add lead or other parts? If you can lay down a loop once, you can just lay it down again later if you need to, because it's a scratchpad. Your uses and milage may vary.

There are tons of instructional videos and demos on using a simple one button looper. Danish Pete on Anderton's is just about the best, Marty Schwartz is pretty good too, there are plenty of others.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.