Any of you all use a Rumble 40 bass amp for guitar much?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by FortyEight, Nov 4, 2020.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

I got a rumble 40 about a month ago cuz I started playing bass in a country western band. And i didn't want to lug my Rumble 100 around. I'm a bit decrepit from lyme disease and that sucker is heavy. (mine is a 2-10"er on casters and sounds really good for bass)

Actually at first I bought the rumbe 25 at my music go round and a direct box for PA systems. But I did want the 40. And then I noticed the other Music go round close to me (I'm like directly inbetween two of them) had the 40 in stock and they gave me credit for the 25 and direct box and it was close to the same price. Yaaay me.

The 40 is super light and sounds great for bass. The 25 was serviceable and I kind of liked the bass tones. The 40 is better in a lot of ways though.

It's lighter (I guess the 25 is mdf and the 40 is a pine plywood), has way more adjustments and stuff on it. And has a direct out.

Now, when I played bass at church every once in a while I would play guitar too and I would just use my bass amp. (rumble 100). It did not have that great of a sound for guitar but it was "good enough".

When I tried the 25 I was like blaaaaaaa. Not so great for guitar either.

Now the 40 on the other hand, I've dinked around with it with a few guitars for quite a while yesterday and a few other times and I feel like I'm starting to get some pretty decent guitar tones out of it. Maybe even as good as anything I have right now. Different but maybe as good.

My main question is that if any of you DO use one for guitar a lot, what are your settings like and what sounds good to you?

I am kind of simple minded person and I prefer things simple. For this thing you have to kind of play with it to find tones you like. Plus it seems like drastic changes happen using different pickups. For example, when I play my Tele through it I found that if I hit the "vintage" button when using the bridge pup it sounds pretty darned good. But then it's way too warm and bassy when I switch to the middle or neck with the "vintage" button on. But man on the bridge pup, it sounds pretty darned good.

Anyways... I think I like either of my Strats better through this thing as apposed to my Vox Cambridge with an 8" bulldog. It warms them up to where I like them more.

Any input and help with equing this thing for guitar is appreciated.

I love the looks of it too. The silver face looks good. Although my Rumble 100 has that 90's looking charm with a black grate like front and black carpet covering. LOL.

Attached Files:

Matt G, PhredE and haggardfan1 like this.
  2. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

I never got round to try our bassplayers Rumble 100 with my Tele, but I envisioned to have an American Sound pedal infront of it.
    I'm pretty sure it would sound great because its so easy to dial in the proper sound from the pedal.
    the amp would only need some fine tweaking and volume.

but like I said: never got round to it.

PhredE and haggardfan1 like this.
  3. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

I assume since your Rumble 100 is heavy (and a 2x10) it's an older version?

I got a new version R100 about two years ago because I was given a bass that Christmas, and I wanted a double duty amp. Disclaimer: I realize the Rumble 40 might be completely different, I don't know.

Honestly, I have only played mine at two gigs so far, so I'm still making friends with it although it sounds fine for guitar. I even like the overdrive channel up to a point; it can get a little fizzy at high settings. EQ wise, I tend to cut lows and both mid controls, and adjust the high EQ depending on which Tele pickup I'm using. The voicing switches are your friend, and I too change mine depending on the pickup tone coming from the guitar. You're right that pickup changes make more difference than with a guitar amp, and I'm hoping eventually to find a happy medium so I don't have to turn around and fiddle with it onstage.

Edit: just read the post above, and thought I'd add that I am seriously considering an American Sound or an outboard EQ pedal to experiment.

Overall, I think it's going to be a fine guitar amp (try an acoustic-electric through yours ;)), I just need time to dial it in and I hope this helps you a bit. Keep us posted.

PhredE likes this.
  4. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

I was glad to hear that the Rumble 40 is working well for your bass needs. I’m well-set for guitar amps, but I’ve played a bit of guitar through my Rumble 40, too.

Don’t expect to be able to use the same volume and gain settings for bass and guitar. Bass requires more power to reproduce and to be heard at the same perceived volume level. What was a normal level on bass is likely to be ear-splittingly loud when a guitar is plugged in without changing the volume and gain settings.

Don’t expect that the same EQ settings you use for the bass will work effectively for guitar. It’s likely that you’ll have to experiment with different EQ settings - and vintage/bright/contour button settings - to find a guitar sound you’re happy with.

I suggest that you write out or print out the settings you find best for both bass and guitar. That’s likely to be different for home use and your worship projects, so charting the settings for both circumstances is a good idea.

Really happy to hear that you’re more satisfied with the Rumble 40. I think you made a better choice. Good luck, and have fun!

haggardfan1 and PhredE like this.
  5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've got one but I've never used it for guitar.

It's a great little bass amp.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  6. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have the newer (silver face) Rumble 100 ( light as a feather) and I like it with guitar...the voicings and OD are good, bur definitely I tweak the tone controls.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  7. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Afflicted

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    I have a Rumble 25 that I use with guitars when using my multi-fx unit... nice clean base for it , sounds just fine.

TequilaCaster and haggardfan1 like this.
  8. FortyEight

Yeah, I get that the settings are gonna be different for bass. Actually, funny story, last week at practice for the country band I forgot I was messing with my guitar through it and I had it on the settings I had for guitar and didn't really realize it til later in the practice. I kept thinking it sounds too trebly and turned the tone know on my bass down a bunch. Then about 3/4 of the way through I looked and had the bass knob turned like almost off so I turned that up a bit and liked the sound better. I was too busy playing and making sure I had the playing right than my tone. LOL. But the upside is that it didn't sound super bad. Just not ideal. LOL. Plus I was plugged into the system so it colored what I was hearing from my amp coupled with the system speakers. LOL.

Anyways... Yeah, my rumble 100 is the last generation. I think. It's black carpet with the metal grate front and the controls on the front. It's a great sounding bass amp. But I don't like it for guitar. It just lacks movement and too dry sounding. This rumble 40 is KIND of like that when I compare it with my vox but it seems like there are times when I can get it to move and sound like a guitar amp should. With a bit more warmth than the vox and maybe even a bit more clarity. Which is kind of weird. But true. But like has been said and what I'm experiencing, it totally depends on how you got the knobs dialed with which pup and it takes more work to get it how you want. I don't know if I'd want to play out with guitar through it unless I was playing a similar sound the whole time.

But yeah I'm super glad you guys pushed me to get the 40 over the 25. I almost was gonna settle but it just seems like a waaaaay better amp. Plus, it's just funny how it's actually a hair lighter. LOL. We practice in a basement so it's nice that it's so light. I didn't realize the 100 was real light too. That is great!!! My older 100 is now parked in my basement recording / practice room I cleaned up and I plan for it to just stay there. LOL. My rumble I leave upstairs so I can practice on my couch and just grab and go for practice.

9. FortyEight

Here's the older 100.

Attached Files:

10. Coffeemutt

Coffeemutt Tele-Meister

I know this is an older thread, but I've been trying my Tele through the Rumble 40 and am still trying to dial in some good tones. I like the idea of one amp for guitar and bass, as I'm strictly a home player right now.

Does anyone care to share their guitar settings as a good starting point? Admittedly, I do need to spend some more time tweaking knobs, but thought I would appeal to the vast collective knowledge here.

(I did run some soft-synths from my computer into it, and those sounded pretty awesome!)

11. surfco

surfco Tele-Afflicted

Cut all the bass out and increase the treble and mids accordingly.

Coffeemutt likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.