Any of y’all ever recone a speaker yourself?

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
so briefly how do you realign a voice coil
Cut off the dust cap. Shim the voice coil with card stock. Fill a small solvent safe Container with acetone and put it on the magnet. Cover the voice coil area and let the acetone evaporate (i let it sit overnite). Remove shims. Re install dust cover if the coil is freed up. I also brushed acetone around the spider-cone junction, but not sure if that’s common.

Last edited:

Bendyha

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Regarding the "not available" alignment tool:...........
Yes, without the tool is not a real problem. But, with the tool is spot on every time. Three different parameters are aligned concurrently. The centring of the voice coil former, the height setting of the coil windings between the poles, and most importantly for a long excursion of a wide diameter 2" former - that the former is absolutely squarely set. And this simple tool masters all three in one swoop, holding everything in position as the spider and cone are moved into position, and the glues are applied and left to set. Sure, I could get by without it, but I'm damn glad I've got it.

Mongo Park

Tele-Afflicted
Cut off the dust cap. Shim the voice coil with card stock. Fill a small solvent safe Container with acetone and put it in the magnet. Cover the voice coil area and let the acetone evaporate (i let it sit overnite). Remove shims. Re install dust cover if the coil is freed up. I also brushed acetone around the spider-cone junction, but not sure if that’s common.

thanks man, this will be a big help
I tried shims and lightly sprites some water on it but limited success

muscmp

Friend of Leo's
yes, and it was a failed attempt. this was a cts from an old gibson amp. all seemed well until i tested it and it acted exactly like it did before the redo. low 6th string made a terrible sound. i spoke to a friend who doesn't live close but has done it before and he said i may not have got the voice coil perfectly centered. i now just use it as a test speaker when i'm working on projects. i won't try it again.

i have done surrounds only on several speakers and they all turned out great.

play music!