Any no truss rod necks out there?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by Fender-guy, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

I have a 2001 built broadcaster(Chris Fleming) and just wanted to know how the truss less necks held up over the years. Mine is way up here in Alberta which is considered a extreme climate province and it’s held up nicely. Low action and pretty minimal neck relief, every time I pick it up it puts a smile on my face. 9A44DBAD-29ED-4E62-9878-09338A2BE699.jpeg 1C46DCB6-211E-4C1C-B76C-DAAA70DD66C4.jpeg 9457C179-1B8B-4DF3-B76E-012FC1696C27.jpeg 94EB188A-5422-4C61-8DAB-53C901703B42.jpeg

2. woodandglue

woodandglue TDPRI Member

I have a 1961 Silvertone 1420 without a truss rod. Its action is still relatively low, but it is a much thicker neck than most I've seen. I also just picked up a project version of the same guitar and the strings were ready for playing slide for sure!

naneek and Fretting out like this.
  3. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

If you’re specifically referring to “fender made” truss rodless necks

There are probably very few

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I bought a fake Chinese "Gibson Les Paul" that upon arrival, I discovered that it had no truss rod. The neck was absolutely straight, and the action and playability were perfect. I wasn't sure how long that would last, however, and what I would do if that changed. So I sold it...

(Perhaps it had a non-adjustable rod in there.)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  5. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I doubt that any guitars are made with no truss rod. Leo thought that maple was stable and hard enough that it wasn't needed, but Don Randall, and others, convinced him otherwise. And, we now know that they were right, not Leo. However, Martin had no adjustable rods until the 70s, but they still had rods, just fixed ones. That may be true of other brands as well.

naneek and nojazzhere like this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Bill Kirchen's Rick Kelly-built Tele doesn't have a truss rod. Bill also stated in Vintage Guitar that his Martin acoustics don't have truss rods, although I wonder if, like DougM said above....they may have rods, just not adjustable.

7. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

My only non-trussed guitar is a '36 Gibson/Ward's acoustic. It's obviously stable! It's hefty as well. I bought it because the action was exactly right for me, but in general I think modern non-trussrod guitars make no sense whatsoever unless it happens to match up exactly with your string choice, preference for action, and intention never to relocate anywhere else on earth. It's not even a question of stability for me, as I often adjust the rods on even my totally stable guitars when I change a string gauge or the seasons change in a major way. I'm glad yours is perfect for you and stable. On the other hand, a player who likes higher action or a different gauge string might be stuck with a mismatched instrument. I wish I saw some advantage.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

+1 Kirchen's Tele.

I built a five piece laminated neck with quarter sawn lumber, thinking that between the laminated construction, the Kirchen Tele, and the first Fender Teles that it would work out ... but it didn't.

Apparently Fender's first production launch of necks without truss rods were mostly returned for repair/replacement due to many bowing.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

Yeah I’m surprised how this one made it almost 20 years and probably a few major climate changes.

This one is quarter sawn and a full almost 1” V neck so that probably has something to do with it. I know the older martins have no truss rod adjustment but do have fixed truss rod.

naneek and nojazzhere like this.
  10. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I have an old Silvertone acoustic Archtop that has no adjustable truss rod.
    I don’t know if it has one inside.
    The whole guitar is Maple, the neck is very chunky but the last time I saw the guitar the neck was straight.
    The guitar may as well be made of concrete for the sound of it. I bought it for 35 dollars 20 or more years ago sight unseen. My daughter was out yard sailing and called me and I told her to go ahead and get it. Once I got it and checked it out I put it somewhere and can’t remember where.

naneek likes this.
  11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

appearently war time martin acoustics did not have truss rods , due to the war effort, how good they were , i dont know

12. JunebugJones

JunebugJones TDPRI Member

I have 3 1960s Stella guitars. I love the sound of the solid birch construction. All three have amazing action all the way up the fretboard. Intonation all the way up may be another matter. They’re slightly smaller than full-size, perhaps 3/4 size. I baby two of them and the third has been my camping guitar for many years, and it’s held up great. I generally wouldn’t go out of my way to buy a guitar without a truss rod, but these have worked out fine. I also have a beautiful Tacoma Thunderchief acoustic bass with a bowed neck and a seized truss rod, and it reminds me that just because a guitar has one it doesn’t guarantee it’ll keep working. I play the hell out of it anyway and would never part with it.

naneek likes this.
  13. mojavedesert

mojavedesert Tele-Meister

I have a 1954 Harmony Stratotone H44 with no truss rod. It has very low action with no buzz all the way up the neck, not one dead fret. And I play all over the neck. I have 13's on it now and it's still doing fine. The shorter neck allows for heavy strings and you can still bend the heck out of them. Tone like no other guitar.

harmony.JPG

thom2-01-1.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    naneek, nojazzhere, Veitchy and 3 others like this.
  14. Fender-guy

Fender-guy Tele-Meister

I didn’t realize there were so many guitars without a truss rod. I mean I know some of them have non adjustable truss rods.

I’ve had this one since January and have had 7’s, 8’s 9’s and 10 gauge strings. I’ve always like the tension of 10’s so stuck with them. I didn’t notice any difference in relief other than slightly less relief with the 7’s.

When it comes time for a refret, we’ll see. I guess the slight back bow needed without the string tension to achieve a straight neck with string tension is a compression fret(s).

15. Sequimite

Sequimite Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

My 35 year old mandolin still has a perfect trussless neck so it has stood the test of time. Here it is after the original top was damaged and replaced:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I have the Kay version of @mojavedesert 's Stratotone with no rod, not strung up now but no warp.
    Also have a '50 style full 1" V shape Broadcaster neck with no rod, held the .002 relief for a year but is now in the parts bin because I don't like V shapes or tiny frets.

For long term stability, I have a '64 Tele neck that has not in the 17 years I've had it, needed any tension on the rod, meaning the nut is left finger tight and the neck stays straight, no seasonal movement. Only around .85 so no baseball bat.
    Years ago I had a '65 Mustang neck that was the same, never any tension on the nut and never any movement.
    Also not a very fat neck.

naneek and mojavedesert like this.
  17. Warren Pederson

Warren Pederson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've never heard of a Danelectro with a neck relief problem and they don't have truss rods

18. telemnemonics

I would not universally assume that a back bow is required for a neck to pull straight under tension.
    Commonly yes but not always and less so on a full 1" than on a thin neck.

19. telemnemonics

The old original poplar Dano necks really had warpage more often than not in the samples I've seen.
    I hunted for a good one in the last Century and not many were terribly straight.
    Good ones are more expensive!

20. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

My Spanish Guitar, you call it classic, has no truss rod

The only trick is, if you are not going to play it for a while, a year or so.... loose the strings

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.