Any new Dan Armstrong or AMG100 Owners?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by wetland10, Jan 22, 2010.

1. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I have always been intruigued by the original Dan Armstrong guitar as many others probably have. I have been doing some reading on the most recent reissue as well as the similar AMG100 (basically the same guitar shape and theory but made from wood and comes with a humbucker). Anyone own either of these guitars? Any thoughts on them? What do you like or dislike?

I can't seem to find them in any store in my local area or in the couple I have walked into in NYC near my office. They just don't seem all that popular.

Thanks,
    Wayne

2. José

José Tele-Afflicted

I got one for several years,a lucite Ampeg Dan Armstrong it was my main guitar. I bought it in a shop for a very good price in 1984, it came with 2 pickups a rock treble on the guitar and a country bass in the case, I've never tryed or found the humbucker. I sold it to buy a Jazzmaster, I was less in my Keef, Teenage Head period. A very good guitar.

3. hannigan

hannigan Friend of Leo's

I got the mahogany red one a few months ago and absolutely love it, sounds good ,plays nice so nice in fact I was thinking about getting the white one with the maple neck.

4. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I like the mohagany one (the red one) but what I don't like is that there is no single coil available. I had always thought that the original single coil had a great tone. How much does the HB in the AMG100 sound like the original Dan Armstrong vs. a heavier distorted sound? I am told that HB is not the same HB that is currently sold with the plexi either.

Wayne

5. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

I played one backstage at a gig I was doing several years ago and it played great. The owner said the rock treble pickup he had in it was good too. That said, the main thing I remember 25 years later was its weight. Lucite is solid stuff.

6. jonnferrell

jonnferrell TDPRI Member

I currently have two AMG100s--the red mahogany and the white swamp ash. Sam Ash is currently liquidating these things and they are well work the 300 bucks. I just ordered the Black alder one today, so I will have all three wood ones. I don't have any desire to have the lucite one at this time, but to have three guitars of this quality under a thousand bucks is pretty cool. I ordered the alder one because I was amazed how different the other two sound from each other. The white one originally listed for a higher price than the other two--probably due to the neck being a bit more labor intensive with the laquer and skunk stripe. I think I will end up using all three to gig with, tuned differently. They are light--the swamp ash being the lightest one. I love the sound of the mahogany with distortion--almost p90ish. I haven't ordered any other pickups yet, but a P90 is in my future from Kent Armstrong. Get em while you can--they are a deal!

7. maude lange

maude lange NEW MEMBER!

The humbucker that comes with the AMG100 is just ok, but the Kent Armstrong single-coil screams. Well worth it.

8. Anchoret

Anchoret Friend of Leo's

I have an original.

Mark was going to do a shoot of it, but found it too hard to photograph because of the clear body. I've never had it out of the case since he returned it as I know it will never be that clean again.

9. gabestigmatic

gabestigmatic TDPRI Member

I just bought a cherry one and stripped the finish. I personally think that the finishes of all of the AMG100 models are kind of cheesy and cliche. Hence giving mine the new look. I would love to get the other models and strip them as well, but I'm going to put my money toward more pickups.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Holic

I had the clear one. It was heavy and the humbucker/single coil pick-ups sounded about the same to my ears. It was very cool. I sold it to my brother because he wanted one after seeing mine. I think it takes a special person to bond with one. It's not something that I would just pick up and noodle on. It's no fault of the guitar because it was very, very cool. It just wasn't my thing. The other very cool part of it is that the serial number was on the neck where it met the body. You could look down through your guitar and see it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.