Any Mustang IIIv2 owners upgrade to a PRRI or DRRI and regret it?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by OzShadow, May 26, 2019.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

West Coast Wisdom? You mean like Leo Fender? Amp wisdom out here ranges from Leo, Randall Smith, Alexander Dumble, Bob Rissi...

2. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

I don't know what losses you're talking about. My point is that if there's a broke kid out there who wants to play guitar, he can get a Bullet and a Mustang I for $250 brand new that will give him an opportunity to play. If someone wants to crap on that, then they're more concerned with the gear than the music.

Alonious_Monk, getbent and blowtorch like this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I imagine back in the day, there were some people who maintained and used horses regularly and complained that cars were the "easy way out" and "cheapened the experience".

Whatevs. :)

4. getbent

I think the good bluesbondsman is saying that he would have booed Dylan for going electric....
    I wonder if Mississippi John Hurt looked down on the amplified guys...???

5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This "digital is cheap" thing is assuming the player who is short on money has plenty of money to ride the "current computer and/or smartphone and/or tablet" train to be able to use the digital amp.

I don't know that you should assume everyone is going to ride that train instead of putting the money into actual guitar gear.

Realistically all these digital amps are at risk of being made obsolete by software issues. You're probably OK with a windows computer for a very long time but for a Mac or a smartphone you are definitely at risk with the constant march of forced obsolescence.

6. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

I have a Mustang IIIv2. I then bought a PRRI 68 and don't use the Mustang any more.

The Mustang would be great except it has some kind of high-mid-range bump which just hurts my ears. When I play it with a band, it sounds like a disaster alert siren. I've tried everything to mitigate this, including using other speakers, running it through an external eq, using all the other cab sims in the speaker, tweaking and retweaking it through the software, etc. I can get it almost where I want it but the annoying brightness remains.

I'm going on tour this summer and it would be the perfect amp to bring; all fx built in and no worries about temperature in the van, banging it around, and it even works as a monitor while delivering just the guitar tone through the DI. But I can't it is just too bright.

The PRRI 68 with a Swart Night Light Jr. is amazing. It sounds perfect in every situation.

Archtop Bill likes this.
  7. blowtorch

Have you worked with the bias and sag settings?

I agree that there are so many things to adjust (and potentially screw up) that it can be a bit overwhelming.
    Until you get things set up

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  8. getbent

can you post a clip?

9. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I haven't played thru a DRRI but have used Mustang iii v1 amps extensively. I bought one when they first came out and set up a handful of presets using Fuse, which still runs. Used it for long weekly rehearsals and various gigs with no problems.

I did buy a secondhand Mustang iii as a back up but haven't used it.

I think they're a genuinely good amp that seems pretty robust and reliable. On my presets they're not intended to be replicas of anyone's tone but they are really good and def useable within a band setting.

getbent likes this.
  10. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

I won’t comment on the digital vs. tube other than to say my SCX2 was fine, better than I thought it would be, but it was a stop-gap. I couldn’t yet afford a DRRI or similar. When I played both side by side, it wasn’t even a competition. That’s what it boils down to for me. At the end of the day, I made do with what I could afford for a long time, but given the choice; it’s tubes for me and it’s not close.

For others, it may be different and that’s fine. It’s a good thing we have choice. But again, if money weren’t an issue and you aren’t looking for a bunch of different sounds crammed into an amp, I’d go with a Deluxe Reverb or Princeton over a modeling amp. If you want endless tweaking with lesser sound quality and more $$ left over, I totally get that, too.

11. blowtorch

I wouldn't call it "endless" (a Saturday afternoon gets you up and running, like getbent said) and I wouldn't call it "lesser", either.

12. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

Yes, I have really done everything possible. I've even soldered together a cable so I could use my PRRI as a cab and the Mustang as a head. The best results are coming from using the "metal" amp sim and then tweak everything else until I like it. It's almost there, but not quite.

The problem almost seems to be some kind of resonant frequency in my ear, when the amp is at a high volume it just rattles my hearing. This doesn't happen with most other amps.

13. getbent

did you try a different mustang to see if yours wasn't somehow hosed?
    I'm assuming you reflashed it too, right?

14. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Me, too. The M3 V2 BF and Tweed Deluxe models are great. The Brit 60's Vox AC model is, too. I bought my M3 V2 from MF when they were closing them out at 40% discount and introducing the GT series. It's a fun amp, and good for those IDGAS-type gigs. Not going to put a MAZ-38 or BF DR to shame, but it sounds better than Neil Young's tweed deluxe.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    getbent likes this.
  15. NateD81

NateD81 Tele-Meister

Fair enough, but I would call it lesser sound quality—for me. As I mentioned in my original comment, I’m speaking to my experience and my ears only - what someone else hears may be different, and that’s fine; to each their own. But when I did a direct comparison to a SCX2 and a DRRI, the quality of sound didn't even compare. I’m simply trying to convey my experience in the case that anyone finds it helpful.

To reiterate, you don’t have to call it lesser quality and if that’s your truth that’s all that really matters. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and so forth etc...

16. getbent

agree... I can't imagine playing the RI series amps... I played twins, super reverbs, a tone king imperial, 3 different musicman amps, cool old randall and magnatone amps, a vox or two.. the real stuff not the ri wave soldered stuff....

I had a blues deluxe that I gigged for 10 years... tinkered with it to get the 'cold' out of it and loved that amp...

you are right... it takes all different kinds of ears... after playing my tone king for a long time, when I got the mustang III, I dove into tweaking it and sold off the rest... sounds money to me... it cuts live, simplifies my setup (even more than before)... I just could never really hear good stuff in the RI stuff... and did not see them much on backlines... most guys had old fenders or they got the bassman...

but for around the house, I'm sure they are fine..

17. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Yes, I did “upgrade” my Fender Mustang III v2. I got a Tungsten Crema Wheat 5e3 clone, so not exactly a PRRI or DRRI that you mention but in the same-ish vein. I don’t regret the upgrade ONLY because I kept the Mustang: in fact, I probably play it more than the CW, which I only play at rehearsals and gigs. But I LEARN songs and perfect songs on my Mustang primarily because of the AUX in/out and headphones.

getbent likes this.
  18. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

Mustangs are known to be NOT great for metal sounds. That is probably what you're hearing.

I use my Mustang IIIv2 for blues, classic rock and country and am super happy with the sounds. I actually sold all of my tube amps (a DR and a SR both early 70s) after buying the mustang and using it for a while. We'll see if that sticks but at the moment I'm not missing the tubes. With so many adjustments available in the M3 I haven't found a situation where I couldn't get the sound i was after.

getbent likes this.
  19. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

I have tried everything from modeling software to solid state amps. I still kept my Mustang II, love it. But I always go back to the Marshall 18W clone (now in a coma) or the Deluxe or even the Vox Night Train. I also have a JCM 900 that haven't been played in years. Sometimes, often times, you just crave the simplicity and purity of a tube amp, you know it's the real thing and not somebody's interpretation of the real thing.

My two cents.

20. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Here in lies the problem...eventually that process becomes a drag for many.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.