Any motorcycle riders here?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ecsong187, Jul 22, 2009.

1. scantron81

scantron81 Tele-Afflicted

I'd never drop the $$ for a Harley. I feel the same about bikes as I do about my guitars. I don't like stock bikes. How can you stand out with the same bike as 20,000 other guys on the road? I'm into older bikes. I love mid 60's to late 70's Honda CB's. Here is my current project:

1975 Honda CB500 Twin. Only made for 2 years. I've done a lot of work to make it a cafe bike.
    [​IMG]

2. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

I just got a bike for the first time in 30 years. I got a sweet deal, so I couldn't pass it up. I got an '81 Honda CB 750 Custom with 21,000 miles. It's not in showroom condition, but it's very clean, and was very cared for. I don't even have an endorsement to drive it yet, but by springtime I will. I'll spend alot of time with her during this winter in my garage. It starts right up, but I want to clean her up a bit, and just give a little TLC.
    I'm psyched to have a bike again!

3. Kornelius

Kornelius Tele-Meister

I use to have this
    [​IMG]
    now i have that
    [​IMG]

4. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

How interesting that the bikes owned in TDPRI are as varied as the posters, which I guess is logical. I have a '99 Honda Interceptor myself, thought by many to be the best all-around bike ever, but I'd have to disagree with the notion that it's all-day comfortable. I once rode my '86 Interceptor (pearl white, sweet) from southern CT up to the races in Loudon, NH, a 5 hour ride, and it just about killed me. Maybe because I was stupid and didn't take many rest breaks or maybe 5 hours for a 6'1" guy on a VFR will never work. It would have been great to have a big cruiser for that trip and in fact Loudon is like "bike week" north, or used to be anyway. I was leaving the track one day, along with a thousand other guys, and road right past a BEAR standing about 6 feet off the street, I kid you not. Like he was watching the procession.

Anyway, FWIW, I would never suggest that anyone's first bike be a big Harley cruiser. They're comfy going straight but for a newbie would be a handful at low speeds, and if you want to look cool--let's face it, that's part of motorcycling--about the last thing you want to do is duck-walk a 900 pound bike into the parking lot. Better to learn on an 883 if you have to have a Harley, or maybe a Sportster, then in a year when you've really got the hang of it, trade up to a cruiser. Say what you want about Harleys, but they hold their value ridiculously well. At one point Harley even had a trade-up guarantee for full price, very smart. That all-black 883 is BAD! (the good bad) and half the price of their cruisers. Still, the Interceptor is simply the best bike there is, let's all just agree on that and move on.

5. jack.plugg

jack.plugg Tele-Holic

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  6. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

I wonder what a leakdown & ccp test would show. Prolly time for rings and a top end at the least.

Friend of mone has a '58 DuoGlide with over 250K on the clock.

7. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Oh, I don't know about that, my Hayabusa would cruise at 100 mph in 6th gear at half RPM.

;)

8. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

Here's my 2001 Triumph, one of the first batch imported imported into the US (I was on a waiting list for about 6 months). I've made quite a few changes but it's a great "do anything" bike that takes me back to my English roots and makes me feel like I'm 18 again!

[​IMG]

And for anyone contemplating getting a bike in the USA, the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course is MANDATORY :eek:

9. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Meister

Another Triumph rider here. I have a '00 Legend TT900. Versatile bike, plenty grunt and handles very good on twisty narrow norwegian roads. Oh, and it looks like a motorcycle too.
    Btw guys: How many of you have strapped a gigbag on your back, climbed on your bike and looked at yourselves in the reflection from shop windows thinking "Man, I look so cool!" Fess up, dudes!

10. exit41bass

exit41bass TDPRI Member

Count me in on the Royal Enfield! I am a fan of British bikes.

11. XKnight

XKnight Tele-Afflicted

I just sold my Honda last month and am going back to getting a Harley.

Here's my old Honda VTX 1800.

[​IMG]

Here is what the Road King will look like. Should have it by January if Harley production ramps up.

[​IMG]

12. scantron81

scantron81 Tele-Afflicted

A XKnight: How did you like your VTX? I considered getting one about 8 years ago until I saw how BIG they were. I think they have great styling for a Honda cruiser.

13. XKnight

XKnight Tele-Afflicted

The VTX was a great bike. I bought it new and had it for almost 5 years. Never had any issues with it. As you can see from the pic above I basically turned it into a bagger so going for a Road King seemed like a logical choice since Honda doesn't make any V-Twin touring bikes and the Goldwing just isn't for me.

As for the size, you get use to it quickly. It's low to the ground and feels well balanced. It is definitely a heavy bike, but handled quite well. It's kind of funny that I had to get a smaller size engine with the Harley. :lol:

14. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

:lol::D

I used to love it when Harleys tried to keep up with me on my old oil cooled GSXR750. I'm cruising and in total control and they're maxed out and hanging on for dear life ... most people buy them to cruise - but half of them can't take being constantly passed by bikes designed to go around corners and sit on 130mph all day without breaking a sweat. :cool:

15. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

I have just returned from a 1600k ride on my Suzuki Bandit down to the mid NSW coast hinterland. Great motorbike roads around the Great Dividing Range, e.g. 100ks of twisty hills from Wauchope to Walcha.

16. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Agreed, but we're talking about cruisers. I should have been more specific.

If you ever road a Vulcan 1500 of a VTX1800 you'd be cruising along at 70 mph and trying up shift one more time! They're just geared too short.

17. Deni Irawan

Deni Irawan TDPRI Member

oh man why did i make it double? how do i delete one of these,

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  18. Deni Irawan

Deni Irawan TDPRI Member

these're what i ride, they are old but i am happy with them,
    took me everywhere,

Cheers,

Attached Files:

19. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

[​IMG]

Yamaha XJ650 4 KO , first series , from June,23,1980 , 51.000 km ,
    Love her !

20. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

forgot the pictures , lol

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.