Any mods on your Classic Vibe Custom Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by gypsyseven, Mar 12, 2010.

1. drb1346

drb1346 Tele-Afflicted

I put Fender Vintage 1952 Tele pickups in mine and WOW!! . . . .....

2. Aaron G

Aaron G Tele-Meister

I got mine this week. Brass compensated saddles and Esquire wiring before it left the store. Lovin' it!

3. Johnny_O

Johnny_O TDPRI Member

Strings sound a little flubby on mine, but that might be because they're old. I don't know if the previous owner changed them after he bought it in January, but they don't seem dirty. I compared it to a Highway One and it just didn't have that same resonance. So I'm wondering what to do about that. Maybe just put some new 10s on?

One of the tuning heads is loose. It moves a bit before it starts to actually turn the shaft. I dunno if it's worth replacing just the one.

4. swamper95

swamper95 TDPRI Member

hi all , i finally had to join this site after reading about all the classic vibe lovers out there.
    Here is my cvc with a bigsby b5 kit. The rest is stock.Very happy with it only prob is strings can tend to jump on bridge spacings some times, but after a bit of resurch i think i will replace this fender vibrato bridge with a warmoth mod mustang bridge (leaving the base plate)

Attached Files:

5. grandstick

grandstick Tele-Holic

We have 2 CVCs - one is my son's, the other is mine. I got both of them used from GC over the past year. Other than the replacement knobs on my Tele (put on by previous owner), both are stock.

I am finding a bit of a ground hum in the bridge pickup of my guitar, so I am looking at a replacement for that. I am happy just retaining the classic Tele bridge tone, so I am open to suggestions for replacements.

Lindy Fralin's shop is right across town from me, so I might give him a shout for a his recommendation.

Attached Files:

6. oldteleguy

oldteleguy Tele-Afflicted

modded two CV50's-Blondie is now an Esquier,the BSB(which I'm trying to sell) has a ton of mods: locking tuners,comp.bridge,new 4-way harness, control plate,knobs,CS Nocaster pups.Electrosocket jackcup. The BSB is just too heavy for my tastes-it does play and sound
    wonderful though!

7. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

'60s Classic Neck
    Gotoh vintage-style tuners
    GFS Overwound Fatbody Bridge Pickup
    Fender vintage-style bridge plate with brass saddles
    Warmoth 5-hole w/b/w pickguard
    CRL 3-way switch
    All-metal knobs from Stew-Mac
    "F" neck plate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. wrxmania

wrxmania Tele-Afflicted

Looks amazing!

9. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

All I did was swap the Alnico Vs out for a set of Keystones, add a 4-way, a treble bleed, and a Warmoth Vintage Pearl pickguard. A nice guitar became an exceptional guitar.

10. figerade

figerade TDPRI Member

Seymour Duncan Mini Humbucker (just like the Hot Rod!)
    Seymour Duncan Lil 59
    B5 Bigsby Tele Kit

Rest is stock, I DID have the 83 Bullet Neck on, but I put the Stock neck back on
    Something about it..just FEELS right....(prob because Ive played it for nearly 2 years)

11. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

How do you like that combination of pickups in the CVC body?

Jim

12. stantonmanton

stantonmanton Tele-Meister

I can't wait to get my hands on this guitar. I have been dreaming of getting the American Deluxe, mainly for its looks. However, I have recently discovered this guitar for a fraction of the price! Seems like a lot of people like to make mods to it which is getting me pumped. Any details on how a neck humbucker sounds on this guitar?

13. drob

drob Tele-Holic

I think I'm finished. Put the brass saddles from the Classic vibe on my CVC, put a maple neck on it from a MIM, set of keystone pick ups, New switch/pots etc. Done.

14. geemo

geemo Tele-Holic

Looks great!
    The neck change... Did it fit without mods?

15. nickgen

nickgen TDPRI Member

The CV "Sleeper" Esquire:
    Flat Black Esquire pickguard
    Seymour Duncan - Hot Soapbar SP90-2 (neck position under pickguard, sounds good)
    Seymour Duncan - Quarter Pound for Tele (bridge position, sounds amazing through my Marshall)
    Fender American Standard Saddles
    Switchcraft 4-way switch
    Switchcraft Input Jack
    Electrosocket Input Jack
    CTS Pots
    Orange Drop Cap
    Dunlop straplock buttons

I want to refinish the body with tinted Nitro, but that's for down the road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Teledelphia

Teledelphia Tele-Holic

10-46 GHS Burnished Pure Nickels, DiMarzio Area T pu's, Fender vintage brass saddles.
    The Area T's sound nice and are very quiet but in hindsight I think I might have been better off just upgrading the stock bridge pu w/ a Duncan Broadcaster or Fender CS Nocaster and left the stock neck pu in there....it really sounds that good.

17. ArchiteleCecil

ArchiteleCecil TDPRI Member

Hello Im new. Has anyone attempted to install an 18v mod to EMG T-sets. I know that a lot of metal guys do this to thier active emg humbuckers for increased headroom

18. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

Dropped right in, not too loose, not too tight.

19. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Tele-Meister

Played a (new, but sitting in the shop for 2 years) CVC at my local Guitar shop through a Roland amp today. Was very impressed with the sound. Intonation was good throughout the neck and I loved the shallower neck profile & low action.

Things I wasn't crazy about:

1) rosewood board dindn't feel as loose (while bending strings) as the maple I'm used to (could be because she was very dusty). Strangely, this was something that stopped bugging me after playing it for a while

2) lower strings seemed to overpower high strings. Probably something that can easily Be fixed with a pickup height adjustment?

3) switch & nut felt/looked cheap

4) glossy finish on the headstock: wtf?

That said, they had it on discount and at 275 euros with gig bag, I had to take it (oh guiltless joy!)

Picking her up tomorrow morning.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  20. rotheryrules

rotheryrules Tele-Meister

I'm trying to decide between this guitar, the 50's style one and a fender MIM classic series.

Going to my local music store tommorow and am hoping they have all three, but to be honest looking at the pics on this thread I think the cv custom is going to take a lot of beating!

Can't wait!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.