1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any Mini Bike Guys?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Frisco 57, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

Any of you "Tele Benders" goof around with mini bikes too? I'm an old guy trying to relive my early teens with these....A Manco Streaker (late '90's) and a Bonanza BC1200 ('67-'68)

IMG_3087.jpg IMG_3652 (1).jpg

ftbtx, KyAnne, stepvan and 7 others like this.
  2. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

My first was a Rupp Lil' Indian, circa apx. 1965-6.
    After that there was a string of little guys.
    In no particular order-
    Some home made "parts scooters"
    A Honda Mini 70 with a 90 engine swap.
    A Benneli 80
    Some crazy mini bike frame that I installed a Mac B1-91 competition kart engine on that tried to kill everyone who ever thought they could tame the beast...

I have pics somewhere.

And yeah, there was more.

rangercaster and Frisco 57 like this.
  3. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

Love to see some pics! I'm currently working on a Honda CT90 Trail for a friend's retirement. He's had it for years but couldn't get it running.

4. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

I believe thats what those Hondas were, CT70 trail
    We figured out that the 90 was basically he same architecture and would swap right in. (And the officials at the AMA district races were none the wiser)
    It made up for the days when a kid with a modded engine would just kill my little Rupp with its stock 5hp Briggs. :p
    There was also a very early Yamaha 80 in there somewhere. Similar monocoque frame to the Honda ct70(edit) trail bike.

After that there was a long string of "real" dirt bikes, then street bikes.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Frisco 57 likes this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

IMG_4715.PNG

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  6. tubeToaster

tubeToaster TDPRI Member

D3B1C748-A29B-4364-A7C9-340937B97D43.jpeg 34D5D79D-A085-4A31-ABDC-DB6F52C8873C.jpeg Here are mine.

Alamo, getbent, donrichfan and 5 others like this.
  7. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

8. Jake909

Jake909 TDPRI Member

After I saw the Vintage Bicycles thread, I wondered how long before Mini Bikes would show up. I got to ride a friend's when I was about 14. Used to ride a go-kart around the neighborhood back then, too. Had a great time. Now I pedal when I ride on two wheels.

Nahtabot and Frisco 57 like this.
  9. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I have a couple of Honda Z-50 Mini-Trails: a ‘71 model (no rear suspension), a mix of mid-70s early rear suspension-era parts for my wife to ride and a mix of ‘79 and ‘86 Z-50R parts for my son to ride. I’ll dig up some pics and post them soon.

I was a Z-50-tinkering madman for several years when my son was a little kid. It helped me relive my dirt-biking adolescence. My son didn’t get into it as much as I’d hoped and eventually the bikes all had one thing or another wrong with them and I was short on time and funds and they got parked.

My son left for college this fall and I’m hoping my day-to-day schedule will allow me to focus and get them running again. Buzzing around the farm on a Z-50 does make chores more fun:

“Dang it, did I leave that fencing pliers hanging on the fence all...the...way...in the back corner pasture again? I’m so forgetful...lemme run back there on the Z-50 a coupla times...”

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Frisco 57 likes this.
  10. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

Yup, when I was a kid in the mid 60's, you either had a mini bike or you wanted one...my best friend had one.

rangercaster likes this.
  11. Esquire Bob

Esquire Bob TDPRI Member

068D14DE-9743-4073-BA03-5D360588F12C.jpeg

12. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

As someone said about my vintage bike scores....jealous!

That looks like so much fun.

I never rode a minibike, but we were friends with the Moroso clan. Robbie Moroso, son of racing parts manufacturer Dick Moroso, was the 1990 NASCAR Winston Cup Rookie of the Year before killing himself and an innocent victim in a drunk driving crash. Of course that was terrible on his part, but we were childhood friends, and we had access to the Moroso headquarters where Robbie's racing go karts were kept. As teens still too young to drive on the road, we were allowed to race his karts on a track around the facility just about every weekend. And these weren't little put-put go karts, these were full blooded racing machines with the full factory support of a parts manufacturer that was a supplier to all of the real life racers you'd see on tv. It was exhilarating and quite an introduction to driving.

I'm sad that Robbie died. He was a major talent, and he took an innocent life. But I'll always remember racing his go carts when we were kids.

Don't drink and drive, kids. There are real life consequences that far outlive any fun that might present itself in the moment.

Back to those super cool mini bikes!

telemnemonics and Frisco 57 like this.
  13. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

My son and I were just helping my dad clean out his shed recently. We dug out the old Honda Z50. It might be our winter project. I'm the last one to ride it and that was easily almost 20 years ago in HS. It needs a thorough once over but my son loved it. Its in really good condition also given the age. I had a bunch of fun riding around on it once upon a time.
    20201011_131325.jpg

14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

bike.jpg

I always wanted one when I was a kid....

Alamo, Stubee and Frisco 57 like this.
  15. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I saw a Rupp roadster at A tag sale over the weekend wife wood not let me stop.

telemnemonics, stepvan and Stubee like this.
  16. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Holic

My childhood friend, Sean, had a metalic blue minibike. Can't recall the make right now,(might have been Honda) but we rode all over creation on it. We thought we were gonna become hard core bikers on that thing! Great childhood memories!

Thanks, for posting and making me remember those wonderful times!

:)

Frisco 57 likes this.
  17. Frisco 57

Frisco 57 Tele-Meister

Most Bonanza mini bikes were/are metallic blue. It could have been...

1e5b2d6a73c1ac929cc9997055cd83f2.jpg

Nahtabot and Rocky058 like this.
  18. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Some cool bikes here! Reminds me I've got an old '60s one in pieces out in the garage i wanna finish for my boys.

Frisco 57 likes this.
  19. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I lived in the Dominican Republic as a kid from 1968-1970 and mini bikes and mopeds were everywhere, loved it! And the cars....

But I also remember seeing a really cute small Honda mini bike that looked just like a motorcycle and I think you could 'fold' it so it would fit in a trunk.

Am I crazy? Help?

Edit: I think the Honda Mini-Trail I see in posting below, is what I was thinking of!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  20. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Holic

Great memories !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

telemnemonics and Frisco 57 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.