Any Mesa Owners?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LarryM, Jan 9, 2011.

1. LarryM

LarryM Tele-Holic

When I hear Mesa, I think Santana or Metal.
    But I never had or played one....
    I just heard a Lone Star on Youtube, thought it got a nice sound.
    Does anyone have a Mesa that they like? I'm sure they can do more than Santana?

2. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

There is an earlier post on this thread that I started, and a couple that go way back. There are quite a number of players here who use them, mostly earlier single channel or the LSS or LSC. I have a LSS 112 that I bought about 6 weeks ago (new). Amazing amp, highly versatile, a true 2 channel amp. Requires patience though, as the controls are highly interactive. It does Fender beautifully, it'll also do VOX (almost) and Marshall on the 2nd channel. Built like a tank. High quality amp, not in the metal vein at all. I play blues, classic (late 60's, early 70's) rock, and a bit of jazz. It's a keeper.

3. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Lone Star Special and really like it. I no way make metal or Santana tone as much as jazz/blues clean and use channel 2 as a higher gain version of same as standard operation.

To compare, I've have and have had mostly Fender black face, had Blues Junior, have played Princeton Reverb the most. It has a bright and warm reverb setting that will take it between very Fender-like tone and more subdued reverb and tone.

It is heavy but the 1, 15 and 35 (2X12 model is 35 watts), two channels, drive, 2 reverb modes and two rectifiers pretty much have one box doing it all.

I'm 2 miles from a Mesa dealer so I've tried all of the Express and Lone Star in past few years. I can't say bad about any of them but think the Lone Stars have more tone options in between the extremes the two families offer.

4. Robertzellmer

Robertzellmer TDPRI Member

I've had an express 5:50 for a few years now and have been very happy with it. It has great cleans and a great drive channel. In no way would I call this a metal amp. The great thing is you can switch between 5 watts class A and 50 watts class AB. It also has very nice reverb as well. Try one out, you'll be happy.

5. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted

I have a Tremoverb 100 watt 2 x 12 Celestions that is like an elegant Dual Rectifier. I say that because it is DR, but has reverb, tremolo, and a lot more versatility. It has a clean channel and a blues channel along with the Vintage and Modern High Gain. IMHO, it's the best amp Mesa ever made. A bit on the heavy side at around 85 - 90 lbs.

I also have an F30 1 x 12 celestion that is great for small venues, and home use. Much easier to haul around than the TOV.

I had a MarkIIB, 1 x 12 with EVM 12L, reverb, and equalizer, but I gave that to my son. Also an excellent amp.

Mesa stands behind their products 100%, on the off chance that they need repairs, but they are built solid, in the USA, around 30 miles from my home.

Mike

6. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

All the Mesa posts in the last couple months have been more than I've seen in five years total. The 5:50 is a great multi channel amp. I use the first three gain options: clean-blues-crunch, for rock/blues party music.

[​IMG]

7. tele_jas

tele_jas Tele-Afflicted

Here's mine.... Very AC30 sounding, with convincing Fender and Marshall settings on ch2. Plus, that cool blue light!

[​IMG]

There are several nice Mesa's that sound great with a Tele with great cleans. Even some of the high gain models have great cleans.

8. Cuco

Cuco Tele-Meister

I have used an F-50 combo for about 10 years. A great all around amp.
    I now use a Dual Rectifier Roadster head with a 2x12 rectifier cab, which is a beast.
    I like playing all types of music.

9. gitold

gitold Friend of Leo's

I have a 5x50 Express and it has the nicest cleans I've ever heard on an amp. I have a 65 Amp Tupelo also which is a very expensive boutique amp and the Mesa cleans are better.

10. rippingrudy

rippingrudy TDPRI Member

I currently have two Mesa Boogie amps - The Lone Star Classic and a Single Rectifier Solo head. I've also owned a Mark IV, a Mark III, an F-100 and a Stiletto. I am totally in love with the Lone Star and the Rectifier but for different reasons.... The Lone Star has beautiful cleans and one of the best "American" crunch sounds you'll ever hear. The Rectifier has the stigma of being a "metal" amp but trust me, it can do almost anything! It has a "raw" mode and a "vintage" mode which cover a huge sonic territory.

I think the big problem with Mesa amps and many other amps is that people turn the gain knob up too high - if you need more sustain use a compressor or boost... or practice more. haha

11. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Tele-Meister

+1 on the Mesa 5:50

12. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

I always thought i like the Lone Star 4X10 combo, untill i heard this amp.

The Demo does not do it justice, but it is the best Electra Dyne demo out there . . . - FACT !

And i REALLY want one !
    (in head form)

;)

13. SirJackdeFuzz

THIS was my fav Mesa . . .

[​IMG]

But now, i am drooling for an Electra Dyne [head] with a 4X10 cab.

14. GuitarDaveBenic

GuitarDaveBenic TDPRI Member

Mark V gets my vote...easiest Boogie to dial in that I've owned and all three channels are useable.

15. SirJackdeFuzz

WELCOME TO THE TELE FORUMS ;)

i always found that the Mark series Boogies are too tight in their bass response for my liking.

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a Studio .22+ that I use for 98% of my gigging. It's the right size and weight and sound for what I play. I also have a MK I RI with an EVM 12L speaker and an exotic wood cabinet. Can you say, "feels like it's bolted to the floor?" I love the sound though.

I'd like to own a MK V and a TA-15.

17. Billy B.

Billy B. Tele-Afflicted

MkII B Here -Blonde /E.Q./Rev/E.V.- My main amp for 20+ Years ,It has been badly abused and it still likes Me(Unlike My back) ,Built like a tank that IS bolted to the floor.

18. Dave Hopping

Dave Hopping Friend of Leo's

I have an '87 Mk 3 1-12 combo-woodgrain/SC/EQ/EV/Rev.Gigged it for a long time,but never really in love with the sound until I turned the presence down from full to about maybe 4-funny how rear-mounted pots get ignored.Much improved.Then a few months ago I added a closed-back Bassman clone cab.The combination open and closed-back thingie,plus getting much more air moving is a nice fix,and this one's going to work the next six-string gig that comes along.

19. detuned

detuned Tele-Holic

There's something in Mesa marketing that's like crack to me... I've had both the .50 cal combo & head, & gigged for years in a funk band with a Dual Rectumfrier (which is a lot more versatile than people think), but I got rid of them all. There's something, I dunno, "generic" about the Mesa clean sound (which I use a lot). There's nothing *wrong* with it, it just doesn't do it for me.

They're great amps, though. Mine were built like tanks, never once let me down.

20. jedi

jedi Tele-Holic

I purchased a Lonestar Classic 2x12 Combo when they first were introduced. Have been gigging with it since with no issues. I would describe it as a Fender blackface-style amp on steroids. Only issue is weight. Every gig as I am lifting it in and out of the car I say to myself I gotta get a lighter amp. LOL. :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.