Any Mesa Boogie Fans here on the tele forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saunders.jesse

Tele-Meister
I've tried out a couple of Boogies in my amp searches. I really liked the Lonestar & the F-30 quite a bit.

My favorite Trey Anastaio tone was based around a couple of Mark IV heads.

franchelB

Friend of Leo's
I like Mesa-Boogie.

I always wanted one of those single "Rectos" head. But now I realized that I'm too old for that loud of a sound. I did like the F30, but for the price of it I could've bought 2 Peavey Delta Blues...

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
Any Mesa Boogie fans here?

I have a Mesa Boogie Road King combo (weighing in at 125 pounds!!). I know this is a Telecaster forum and it has more country pickers than the other forums I'm on (which is GREAT) and I'm just curious as to if Boogie is as popular with the “twang” crowd as with the rockers.

I use my Road King in my 80s, 90s and modern rock cover band and also in my side project band with the singer from my other band and it's a 50% country (originals and covers) band. So I play everything from Metallica, Creed, Puddle of Mudd, Bush, to Bon Jovi, Poison, Guns n Roses all the way to Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, Dwight Yokum, Keith Whitley, ect.... And my Boogie covers all of those, sometimes with a little help from a Tubescreamer ;) .

Like I said, I'm just curious to see if there is any love for Boogies here?

PS.... If you're curious to hear a Road King, you can hear it at my little guitar site at www.guitartest.moonfruit.com and go to the page that says "Road King clips" and there they are. I don't have any of my country clips up yet, but I do have a few. The songs on the front page were recorded using a G&L ASAT (FYI). The songs on the first page are also the songs from my side project.
My Mark IIB weighs in at about 95 lbs, so I can relate. I have a light duty Gator road case the I reinforced with plywood, and it makes hauling it around a lot easier. Still kicks butt!

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
Count me in !

I have a 1983 hardwood MK IIB hun-re that i bought from new and i still love it !
I play 90% country and it has all the twang a man could want !, i chose the EV speaker option and maybe thats the difference, others i have tried with Celestions have a kind of "British" sound that (to me) doesn't quite do it.
I had it cased from new and it has travelled almost everywhere with me, i lived in Norway for much of the 80's so it has gotten VERY cold and taken a real pounding on those bumpy roads but apart from the usual tube replacements the only problem i have had was when a fan died on me but Boogie replaced it straight away with no quibbles.
Boogies do seem to take a bit of a hammering on this site from the 'Boutique' set which i never really understand, Randall Smith kind of invented (or at least popularised) that whole "HotRod Fender" thing but "hey", if it works for you thats really all that counts.
My only complaint is the one you mentioned - "Weight", there are times when a lighter amp would be nice but would i want to give up that sound ?, nah !!, i don't think so !!
I use the clean channel most of the time, just to where it starts getting "clippy" and can control that from a Tele and then the solo channel for more 'extreme' sounds, it never fails to impress.
The only other amp i have is a HotRod Deluxe and i must admit for a "throw in the car" jamming type amp i rather like that too but don't ever say it on this site :)
You said it, Big John. Mine is a cream Mark IIB, also with an EV in it. When I bought mine, Randall's wife was taking the orders. I used to get Christmas cards from Mesa. Heavy? Yup. It get really heavy when it's cranking on stage!

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
I'm a MESA BOOGIE SUBWAY ROCKET owners
and have owned others over the years as well.

Built like tanks, more flexible than you think,
great cleans, great crunch, way louder than rated,
and great customer service - BOOGIES are GREAT!

When I bought my from ALPHA MUSIC (VA BEACH, VA),
one of their salesmen was driving near my home
(2 hours away) and delivered it to me - That was cool.
BUT, not knowing about BOOGIE shipping the amp with
a plastic net around the tubes, I unpacked it and plugged
it in right away. Moments later, I smelled trouble.
I scraped off the goo from the tubes and all was well
but when MESA BOOGIE heard about it, they shipped
me an entire set of new tubes free... That was really cool!

My NASHVILLE TELE thru the SUB ROCK is sweet.

I know at least another Tele forum member with
a BOOGIE....right CORE?
Though I have a MK IIB, I could really dig a Subway Rocket, too.

Dik Ellis

Tele-Holic
You said it, Big John. Mine is a cream Mark IIB, also with an EV in it. When I bought mine, Randall's wife was taking the orders. I used to get Christmas cards from Mesa. Heavy? Yup. It get really heavy when it's cranking on stage!
Hey, what kind of settings are you using for a great country twang? I'll grab my Tele in the meantime.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Find Mesa Boogie Owners Club in Amp Clubs under Owners Clubs in Forums. There are only a few posts so far but the club was started just last week. Please contribute. I’m a Mesa Boogie lover. My amp and the way I use are different from how you use yours. Let’s try to grow the group.

snottyboy

Tele-Meister
I have 3...

'79 Mark IIA with JBL D120F and matching cab with EVM12L

'89 Mark III with EVM12L, with Theile cab

Transatlantic 30 1x12 combo

All great for use with Tele.

supersoldier71

Tele-Afflicted
I have a DC3 that I really dig.

It's loud.

It's about the least-intuitive amp I've ever played, but once you get the hang of how Mesa boogies, it's pretty straightforward.

The Rhythm channel is awesome. Everything you plug in sounds better, and it really highlights the differences between guitars. The Lead channel was harder to sort out. There's a LOT of gain available, and there are lots of ways to make it sound bad. Dialing it in was the reverse of my other amps. I also own a Peavey C50 410 and a Quilter OD200, and have owned other amps in the past.

With every other amp I own or have owned, start with the TMB maxed and dial back. The Mesa: start at zero and add, treble, then mids, then bass, until you're happy. The EQ is interactive, so when I had the treble cranked, nothing I did with the mids and bass fixed the "congestion". What the manual was telling me to do finally clicked, and I rolled back the treble, which "relaxed" everything else.

It's really loud!

I like being able to ditch all the drive pedals when I use this amp.

I do prefer my Classic 50 for a lot of reasons though. The first is that the volume is more manageable. It doesn't make a lot of sense that a 35 watt 112 would be louder than a 50 watt 410, but here we are. It's mostly a function of the Mesa not sounding great at all below a certain volume level, and that minimum volume level is LOUD. Also, the Peavey doesn't penalize sloppiness in the same way as the Mesa. When moving between the two, I always have to tighten my technique when moving to the DC3.

Tim S

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Please stop responding to a dusty, 15 year old thread. There are enough other Mesa threads to go around

Guitarteach

Doctor of Teleocity
The unfashionable end of the Western Spiral Arm
My Mark III Simulclass has been my number 1 stage amp for years and my main studio amp since I got it new. I have a big mesa cab with EVMs to extend it. Lives in the studio now as it just so heavy. Nice NOS Winged =C= power tubes.

Truly has it all.. deep, stellar cleans, massive crushing dirt… eq, reverb, EVM, etc. Possibly best amp ever. Better than the MK5 which I find very stiff and less organic.

Got an R2 mod so all three channels balance and I’ve modded the reverb with notes direct for mesa to give it loads of twangy spring depth. It can do any Fender sounds you need.

My old JMP has got something too.

Status
Not open for further replies.