1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any MatchBox/HotWheels car collectors here?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FenderGyrl, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

How about a pre-regular wheel version:

Attached Files:

2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

And a for sure, pre Hotwheels track version:
    Getting interested Brad? ;)

Attached Files:

3. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

Thanks, all, for bringing back some memories. I had a bunch of Matchbox cars as a kid in the 60s. I definitely remember that VW camper!

4. kderma321

kderma321 Tele-Meister

I collected some in the early 2000's that I sold. Just recently I bought my daughter some to play with and enjoyed the hunt for unique and interesting ones I liked. At $1.00 a piece its an easy way to scratch that itch of hunting for something and finding it.

5. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

I never collected them, but I must have bought a minimum of 4 or 500 of them for my Grandson who is now 18 and into real cars.

He always immediately unwrapped them so I doubt the collector value is much but we sure had a good time pushing them around on the floor when he was a baby!

6. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

nice one

wow that camper is in great condition...these VWs really get a nice price on ebay

7. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

I posted my remaining collection once before, here in a brad pitiful-started thread.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4432782

8. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

nvilletele :
    Jaguar XK140

Fantastic classic collection.

9. Spikerama

Spikerama Tele-Meister

I'm a fan. I still have a bunch of redlines from my childhood. One of them is the Snake funnycar with the number 6969 inside the roof. If mint, it used to be valued at 800-1500 bucks. (Mine was not mint.) I believe the values have went down in the last few years.

10. Brad Pittiful

here is the cool mongoose and snake set!

[​IMG]

11. Bernie

Bernie Tele-Afflicted

I had that set, also the Supercharger Sprint set. When I was a kid I used to buy a new Hot Wheels car or two every week, they were like $1.00 apiece, so I would go to the mall and have at it. I ended up with about 100 cars or so, and when I lost interest my mother made me give them to my young nephew, who destroyed them over time. When I was older I would show my mom ebay prices of the cars I had (1968 and 69 mostly) and give her a hard time about making me give them away. Truth was that I didn't mind giving them to my nephew, they were well used and not in collectors condition by any means. I actually played with toys I had (imagine that!), so they probably wouldn't be worth that much.

12. Brad Pittiful

nice! i wasnt able to buy matchbox or hot wheels every week but i got my share growing up...my mom is a great generous person and i think the same fate happened to some of my cars...lucky i was getting into trains and was able to keep some of my cars for the train layout...but i was only able to keep a small percentage

i never had the snake/mongoose set but i had this (not the one i had as a kid...i got this off ebay...complete set except for the cars that came with it)

[​IMG]

even have some christmas morning pics of me my brother and dad setting it up

13. StuH

StuH Friend of Leo's

I don't collect them but have to say this is a cool thread.

Awesome pictures.:D

14. Marshallfender

Marshallfender Tele-Meister

The one thing from my youth that somehow didn't get lost or given away are my Hot Wheels & Matchbox cars. It's cool cause it's a good memory of my dad bringing me and my brother to the local slot car track/hobby shop we had in town, way back when. Once a week(if we were good!) we would get to pick out one car each. It started with Matchbox cars for many years till Hot Wheels hit the market then they became the car of choice. So these are all from my childhood. I have 3 or 4 cases of Matchbox cars that I'd have to dig a bit to get at.(I'll try to get at them for some pics) but here's some Hot Wheels Red Lines. Not mint but most in pretty good shape.

Attached Files:

15. Bernie

Bernie Tele-Afflicted

Wow, this brings back memories for sure. Hot Wheels were "my thing" for long time when I was a kid. The Deora had surfboards, yes? I remember waiting a long time for the "Red Baron" to show up on the shelves at Montgomery Wards. There wasn't any other option, you just had to WAIT. This was my first experience with GAS as a kid (HWAS?) I spent lots of weekends setting up track and/or setting up a "car show" and staring at them while laying on the carpet. Graduated to doing the same with guitars and amps lol.

16. Brad Pittiful

wow awesome man...they look great to me...is that AMX/2 pink? pink cars are very valuable cause boys didnt play with pink cars or thats what mattel thought so they didnt make many of them...of course they made some colors more than others

you can check prices out on this site

http://www.southtexasdiecast.com/hwguide.html#castinglist

there is also ebay...for truest market prices

17. Brad Pittiful

haha great story! yes the deora had two surf boards

i also had a hot wheels toy called...hot shots cool duel set...this isnt mine...one day ill get one again

[​IMG]

18. wutmornin

wutmornin Tele-Holic

okay, I am in too. Cool thread. I had the verry first (I think) set, the (super?) stunt set with a loop and a set of jump ramps and 2 cars, one of wich was I believe the hot heep in gold and a california surfer (?) in red. I always thought I had given away the farm when I left them to a younger cousin but I guess they weren't really worth that much to a collector, just pretty cool that my old man saw a cool toy when he saw it and hooked me up. He didn't feel the same way about guitars and amps a few years later, oh well.

What about Johnny lightning sets? Very short lived right? Worth more? Maybe the neighbor kid did give away his farm, he had the much less cool Johnny lightning race set.

19. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

I was trying to think how to place the set my little bro and I had and that sounds like it! :lol:

The hot Heep you mention; Is that the hot rod in Marshallfender's 5th pic above? That one really resonates with me... I'm pretty sure we had that one.

20. Brad Pittiful

nice man...johnny lightning seemed like a johnny come lately...but they had some cool stuff...the toppers they made were nice...they went out of business and then someone bought the name and put out a higher quality model but they were also more expensive...they also made white lightnings...short runs of a common car with different white parts...they could be white tires or white interior or a white base...i think the white lightnings were 1% of the run of the common car...very collectable

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.