Any mass manufactured tele with reverse slanted bridge PU?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by MatsEriksson, Jan 31, 2012.

1. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

Hi there!
    Search this forums for it, but it just comes out as a DIY modification you have to do for yourself.

Does anyone knows if ANY manufacturer (Fender and everyone else) have produced any variation on the Telecaster with JUST the bridge pickup slanted the other way around (like it would be on a lefty tele but right handed)? I e that the lowest strings pickup poles are closer to the bridge and the highest strings poles are further away from the bridge?

I think, you see all kinds of variations today on any Tele, with strat pickups, humbuckers, actives, piezos included even, and whatnot, but not this variation.

2. domakkah

domakkah Tele-Meister

Yeah - you'd think someone out there in the vast sea of Tele-clone makers might try that just to be different. But Tradition is just too powerful of a drug, I guess!

3. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I put a lefty single coil bridge on a righty Tele clone w a HB route.So thats an option.Its p/up placement is even more neckward than that of a Voodoo Strat.I have a test mule universal route Strat.Oddly enough theres an area between the 8th and 16th harmonic about an 3/4 inch-1 inch in front of where the bridge p/up is thats almost all fundamental and is kind of bland sounding.A reverse slant puts the high E into that area.What I've done is just get or modify a bridge so the bridge p/up can go str8 across, right on the 16th harmonic (were the D/G strings are. That sounds great, the high E is tamed , but still has nice harmonics.

4. rolling56

rolling56 Friend of Leo's

A kind of Jimi mod for rightys i guess.............

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. dconeill

dconeill Tele-Afflicted

C'mon, with teles breaking tradition is just as poisonous as a politician telling the truth. Look how much of a tussle people get into over 3- versus 6-saddle bridges. "Just to be different" gets you punished.

6. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I dunno, I had a strat pickguard made with the reversed bridge pickup and I did not like it at all. The bass strings were too thin and the midrange was too strong. Some things that seem like good ideas don't turn out to be all that. Leo got it right...

MilwMark likes this.
  7. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

I have a strat routed just like that, and altough the change is VERY SUBTLE it is more of a difference to the player. The high e-string is like, not THAT "ice-pick-in-the-ear" shrill, and there's a lot more TWANG to the bottom strings. Bass is still strong. It worked for Hendrix and all other lefties that turned that guitar upside down and restrung it. The middle strings are exactly the same. If you raise it slightly on the bass side, all output imbalances are remedied, and there's still bass on the bass strings. I do think that some - mind you, I said some - magnetic string pull on the lowest strings seemed remedied too. But that is more of what kind of pickups you're using.

The only one thing I've heard of, of why pickups are slanted (at all) is that

1) It's the picking direction.
    2) The pole pieces align more properly over each string.

But I don't know if this is true or not. I have some suspicions... ;)

Why bridge pickups ONLY (on strats) have to be slanted eludes me big time. They could've as well be just as straight as the other two pickups, or as the (anty) tele neck pu. There's more string vibration the further you go from the bridge (i e more output) which you can't compensate with staggered pole pieces, cause that will change the tone too much.

I mean, if they come out with one after the other "new" model of Teles with this or that chagne, that will change just as little - if not even less - on the guitar, I wonder why they haven't - even tried - to sell those. Leo Fender got it not right the first time. But the second. First time, he had no truss rod in the Tele necks at all. He did a lot of changes as well, as he went along.

8. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

That wouldn't be too hard for any manufacturer don't you think?

9. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

Of course, however, I was speaking only of the Telecaster. And why there's so many variations to the tele, that doens't really matter, but none of these? They could've just routed the body in the same machine that does it for the lefties bodies and leave it at that. Would be a selling point JUST AS ANY OTHER bland modification they're doing to it. I mean, there's even third party, DIFFERENT BRIDGE SADDLES for e-a and d-g strings and b-e strings. E-A was made of brass and the rest of stainless steel - or something like that. So if that makes a difference, why shouldn't a reverse bridge pu not make any?

Of course, this all applies to single coils with poles. Humbuckers covers a large "aperture" already so that's kinda silly, to slant humbuckers, which some manufacturers does ANYWAY, and still, the wrong direction....like this Gibson:

[​IMG]

However, this one's in the right direction (single coils though). Don't mind the rest of the body, it's Paul Gilbert signature Ibanez.

[​IMG]

10. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

What I meant. For whatever it's worth, SOME manufacturers have tried to slant the pickups in one way or another, on any "new" model, whether it be strats, les pauls, ibanez, and gibson flying Vs (remember this early 80's Flying V with pickups SHAPED just like the guitar? slanted two ways!) Wonder what/how THAT sounded. See below:

[​IMG]

11. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

The inertia of tradition.No one puts the middle where it should be.I had a friend move the p/up in my Mule Strat while I played.As soon as it was at the 8th harmonic , the sound got HUGE.The times I've made scratch guitars w 1 p/up thats where I've put it. A fundamental as evident as the neck, w plenty of nonpiercing harmonics.

12. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

So that 8th harmonic on that strat is different from the one you said before?

So on a Tele, it's on the 16th harmonic ?
    Or what am I missing here?

13. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

I've forgotten the other name, but I remember some boutique luthier, that was a former Fender employee, that branched out on his own with some custom Telecasters, but now extinct. The name ended with "Hopf" or "Hof" or something... maybe Linhof? Lindhopf? something like that. They had exclusively reverse slant bridge pups as far as I can recall.

Anyone remembers that brand name?

15. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I've always thought it makes more sense. I don't really want the high E string even brighter yet when on the bridge pickup!

MatsEriksson likes this.
  16. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

This was my experience as well, years ago, when I installed a reverse-slanted strat pickup at the bridge of a mid-60s Gibson Melody Maker that someone before me had performed a "bathtub rout" on in order to install two Gibson HBs.

The rout appeared to have been performed with a shovel. A dull shovel. And the HBs sounded harsh and awful in that guitar. So I started trying all kinds of pickups in that giant rout hole, and the reverse-slant strat pickup sounded just right. The low strings sounded tight and twangy but by no means anemic, and the high strings sounded bright but by no means piercing, and the mids just sounded snarly and great.

I didn't think about it in terms of where different harmonics were located along the string length--that concern didn't even occur to me then or since, until reading your post--but I guess I landed on a good location by accident. I was just slanting the pickup until the pole pieces lined up with the strings and the pickup was roughly where a strat pickup would be in relation to the bridge, and it worked.

I have wondered about installing a left-handed Tele bridge on a right-handed Tele body to make a reverse-slant Esquire-esque guitar since those days (The Melody Maker, good as it sounded to me, was kind of cramped for my short, thick breakfast-sausage-like fingers).

MatsEriksson likes this.
  17. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Ta-Da!:

https://www.johnpageclassic.com/products/aj?variant=7560378646556

MatsEriksson likes this.
  18. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

Thank you RoyBGood!! I've also found out that the other name was Kurt Linhof who made Linhof Teles. Not around any longer alas. Linhof was more or less the regular form and shape of Tele regarding body/neck head but with just a few twists, such as beveled body countours, relic-ized (!?), and reverse slant bridge pup.

They do have some merit on Teles. Because on a strat, I see the slant/angle isn't as severe. On Teles it is almost 15 degrees slant. If someone is not into Roy Buchanan style which demands knife ear piercing ice pick attack, it's a valid "mild-ner" of ice pick treble attack on high e-string.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    nojazzhere and RoyBGood like this.
  19. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

There's a vid celebrating the anniversary of the CS showing this re-made tele off.

I saw it about 6-8 months ago?

MatsEriksson likes this.
  20. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

Great to hear! I did this too. However, just do not ever state this over at the other thread...

"Did I just hear A Challenge to all the Pickup Winders?"

You're in for a flame debate of loop in hell, that you won't ever be able to leave...;) You have hereby been warned.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.