Any Mandolin Players Here

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by burtf51, Jun 4, 2019.

1. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

Dang I really got the jones for getting a mandolin, not that I get off the couch so I'd like but don't need a high dollar instrument but one that plays and sounds good. I've been looking at the Eastman MD305 & Kentucky. I use to play one or better say peck around years ago but it'd be like starting over. I love the looks of an F style but would be really embarrassed to even pull it out cause someone might think I could really play or at least ought to play really good, so I'm thinking about an A-Style even tho there's some really mighty fine players that play A-Styles...but then which A-Style f hole or oval hole and I don't know about nut width differences in different brands or preferences. I prefer an 1 3/4 on my acoustic.

allthatjazz likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Checking in...

[​IMG]

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Also Bouzouk!

Digital Larry and Random1643 like this.
  4. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

I started playing mando about 4 years or so ago. I REALLY suck at it, but it's fun.

I've got a Morris Mandolin (Howard Morris out of Oregon) #312 all handmade. Incredible instrument, and highly affordable:

P1030089.JPG

Charlie Bernstein and Jim W like this.
  5. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Meister

Charlie Bernstein and scrimmer like this.
  6. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

I started playing mandolin several years ago and it's always been a second instrument for me (meaning, I don't put the time and discipline into it, I just enjoy dinking around with it, especially in a band context).

I've got a Kentucky 700 that I bought from Mandolin Hut in Knoxville online. If I had to do it over again, I'd get an Eastman. I love the Kentucky and it's got a great sound and perfect action, stays in tune all day long and is great fun to play, but the Kentucky has a violin neck and with larger hands, I think I'd enjoy a beefy neck. My hands tend to cramp up after playing the Kentucky for an hour or so.

Coming from the guitar, I recall that I was making music with my mandolin within about 10 minutes of opening the case. If you've got a background in music, I think you'll take to it very quickly.

stnmtthw and scrimmer like this.
  7. Vognell

Vognell Tele-Meister

Got a mandolin and an octave mandolin, but don't get to play them as much as I would like.

8. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

I putz around with one. As I played a pretty good fiddle at one time it only seemed natural to give a mandolin a shot. I keep three el cheapos around - a 1920s Supertone with MOTS board and a touch of decalcomania, 1933 Gibson-made Recording King and a 1941 Strad-O-Lin.. The Strad, in my opinion, is probably the best kept secret of the mandolin world. Nobody knows who built them but the story is Bill Monore even used to keep one around.

9. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

Yeah I bought a mandolin just for the heck of it and it puts a smile on your face every time I pick it up. :)
    I'd recommend trying one out to everyone they're great fun.

RodeoTex likes this.
  10. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

I've got a Harley Benton bouzouki and a Barnes n Mullen mandolin. The mandolin has a 1.5" nut, a lot wider than standard which suits me better. You looking for an acoustic or electric? Epiphone did a very cool firebird mandolin a few years back, if you can find one they're great fun

11. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Meister

No, I don't want an electric nothing else...think I'm sticking with the Eastman, lots of good mando players at Mandolin Cafe speak highly of theirs...

mcfm2n and scottser like this.
  12. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

Eastman make wonderful instruments, you'll have a ball playing it

mcfm2n likes this.
  13. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Meister

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    Count me in. I have a Breedlove Quartz 'A' style. I'm nothing special on it but it's fun to play, has a great sound, and is just the thing for when I need a change up....or just when sitting on the deck with a cold one.

Mando.jpg

Charlie Bernstein and scrimmer like this.
  14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I have three, an oval hole, an F hole, and a Neapolitan. My fav is an early A2. mandolins are also known as cheese slicers - hard on the fingers, due to twice the strings (twice the tension). Tuning is...fun...once you get it just right in tune, they sing pretty well.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  15. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

16. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

Yes, Kentucky KM505 Artist. Great instrument and helps expand my knowledge and skills.
    20180104_203608.jpg

scrimmer likes this.
  17. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Rigel A+ Deluxe, 1934 Gibson A-00 and a Fender Mando-Strat with a one-off Dave Evans 2nd string bender.

Rigel A+ Deluxe in case.JPG 1934 A-00 full top view.jpg bender front full2.jpg bender back full.jpg

18. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I bought this

Kentucky Mando.jpg

a couple-three years ago. It was a pretty nice-sounding instrument. I kept it around a while, doodled with it a few times, then realized I have enough work to do on guitar without worrying about learning mandolin, too. I sold it last year around Christmas time, for a little more than I paid for it.

19. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I can play (mediocrely) mandolin parts for: Maggie May, and Shipping up to Boston.

And I can play(mediocrely) “the Swallowtail Jig.”

That’s it...

Although, strangely enough despite many many many more hours of playing guitar, I find that picking out melodies on the mandolin is much easier for me than on guitar. It may be the 5ths tuning, but whenever I just start noodling on mandolin I just seem know better where I’m going. Couldn’t tell you what key it’s in, but...

JuneauMike likes this.
  20. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Hartford bday music.jpg

Paul in Colorado and teletimetx like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.