1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any Love here for Allen Amplification amps?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by jbylake, Apr 22, 2021.

1. jbylake

jbylake TDPRI Member

Just wondering if anyone here has or has heard of one. I recently received a new one I ordered a while back. He has some fairly notable folks playing them including Mark Knopfler. I discovered he only lives about 10 miles from me, and it was great to get to go to his shop, sit down and talk about what I wanted to hear. I actually ordered a different one than I had intended too. Playing through other circuits and talking to each other was really a pleasurable experience, compared to walking into a guitar store and settling on the closest thing I can find to what I want.

Build quality is absolutely beautiful, and the tones I can get out of that sucker, well I could write three pages on that. You can also go to youtube to Allen Amplification and hear players play some of his amps.

BrunoOx[19].jpg

Coolest feature is a switch called RAW. Turn to left and pure black face, right is tweed, and everything else in the middle is up to your imagination. They aren't cheap, but nothing good is. This is the Accomplice Jr. He makes the Accomplice which is a 2X12, vs. the "Jr. which is 1X12. 35 Watt at 38lb so it's really loud enough for most club gigs and won't break your back. Only thing I've done to it was to change the knobs to cream chicken heads. Photo taken at David's house for burn in and play it before taking home, to sort out any glitches. It's also one of the quietist amps cranked that I've ever owned.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  2. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Yeah man. I have the same amp, also in a 112 combo format, but I ordered mine with the bigger tranny and put 6l6s in it. Seriously the best gear purchase I have ever made. I feel like I can easily get the perfect BF tone out of it, or dial in the Raw and get as much Tweed as I need. My favorite for playing kinda-clean is volume 2 -3 and raw on 2, MV to taste. Just a perfect edge of breakup spot and so easy to dial in. It also has the best reverb by far I have ever used. It is my desert island amp and has completely killed my desire for a Fender product. I think the next amp I buy will be another Allen, most probably in kit form.

3. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Holic

Been jonesing for a Chihuahua my self.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've always wanted to try one

jbylake likes this.
  5. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a little Classic 10 and it is great. Two voices, vintage (5E2, whatever that is) and Marshall. Only a little 10W sucker, but it really cooks. I'll never sell it.

Attached Files:

PigBoy, Cali Dude and jbylake like this.
  6. Guitharley

Guitharley Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Took a drive to Kentucky a couple years ago to bring home a Sweet Spot...very cool little amp
    IMG_0108.jpeg

7. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

If I (n)ever replace my 1965 DR, Allen would be at the top of my list.

jbylake likes this.
  8. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

jbylake,
    It appears you've encountered the Allen Amplification TDPRI fan club.

That really is a beautiful amp. If it sounds half as good as it looks I'd call your purchase a score.

jbylake likes this.
  9. Jaysmay

Jaysmay TDPRI Member

Never heard of them....

the Maple cabinets are killer!

10. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

I had one, tried to love it, but my 64’ deluxe reverb has yet to relinquish its number one position.

jbylake likes this.
  11. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Tele-Meister

His stuff is top notch. I had an Encore 2x10 for a dozen years or so. Great amp.

jbylake likes this.
  12. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

Dave is one of the nicest guys I’ve dealt with. I was some rando who called out of the blue with a question or two about one of his transformers, then later about some issues with one of my builds (not even one of his kits!), and he was happy to help. If I buy another amp (to go along with the Allen-inspired modded PR he helped me with), it would be one of his.

Drew617, BlueCajun and jbylake like this.
  13. jbylake

jbylake TDPRI Member

I also had him install the 6L6's. Not really necessary, but hey 35 watts vs. 22, might as well go bigger. I didn't really have a chance to listen to the 22 watt circuit to see if there was any noticeable difference in headroom, but it has a master volume, so the heck with it, I went bigger. I'm a condo dweller so I have to be careful. I'm going to talk to him to see if he can build me a "mid 60's Bassman head with updated features"

14. jbylake

jbylake TDPRI Member

Leave your wallet at home, or be prepared to drop some bucks.:D

15. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Have heard nothing but positive feedback on both the product and the builder. I wouldn't hesitate to consider buying one next time the amp urge hits.

jbylake likes this.
  16. jbylake

jbylake TDPRI Member

Since I only live about 10 miles, if that, from him, didn't have to worry about shipping, just drove over and got it. He's also a really great guy to deal with, and extremely knowledgeable on the tech side of it.

17. jbylake

jbylake TDPRI Member

Yep, that'd be hard to beat. :D

18. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

I haven't bought one of his amps but I have used some of his transformers in builds. I have been really tempted to build his Hot Fudge and Brown Sugar amps. If you search, there are lots of threads on TDPRI about Allen Amps. I've never read or heard anything but good things about his products and his customer service.

jbylake likes this.
  19. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I assembled my Sweet Spot kit 11 years ago; enjoyed the build. Its a great little amp and hasn't given me a lick of trouble.

20. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

I would love an Encore 1x12. I keep looking at the kit option and chickening out.

jbylake and mad dog like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.