Any love/hate for the ric 360/12?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by DuncanAngus, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Ryan0594

Ryan0594 Tele-Holic

How much do you reckon you can get one cheapest? I really couldn't shift more than £800 in my wildest dreams. I've got two decent guitars and one decent amp with inbuilt comp, chorus, delay, echo, reverb, etc. so I'm very lucky to have amassed a modest collection for a low cost. I haven't spent any money on guitar since 2010 other than strings!

2. taxer

taxer Banned

Your info, if true, says that you are 18. Don't worry about a Ric at that age. I got mine at 22 when I graduated college. Took all my graduation gift money, went right to the music store and bought me a Ric 12 string. But that was twenty years ago and they were really cheap back then.

Nowadays Rics are really being sold to an older age group. I bet the average age of Ric buyers is well over 40. It would be very rare for an 18 year old to have a Rickenbacker today. One reason, they are out of the range of what the average 18 year old earns, and two, Rickenbackers are not that popular anymore so the average 18 year old really has no desire to get one.

You can get a 12 string Ric for $1,600. New. I don't know what that is in pounds but I do know $1,600 for a masterfully made guitar, for a guitar that is iconic, for a guitar that is a work of art to play and hear...well, $1,600 is the best bargain around. Les Pauls go for $2,500. Top Gretsches go for more than that. But a 12 string Ric for $1,600...man, that's something to save for.

3. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

I'm either very weird, or very adaptable. The Ric strings in the "wrong" places doesn't bother me, and I do the same thing with an old Ovation 12 string.

4. Halbert

Halbert TDPRI Member

I guess you can get used to it. I don't know if this would make any difference to you, but on Ric 12 strings, the octave strings are reversed from the position you would usually see on another 12 string.That is the lower octave strings are above the higher ones.

5. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

I paid $850 for my 330-12 three years ago. You may get lucky and find a great deal like I did. As another poster pointed out, they aren't as expensive as you might think.

The way I got mine was to run a classified ad on www.rickreource.com inquiring if anyone had a Rick 12 for sale. Sure enough, about a week later, a member emailed me and said he had a 330-12 in AutumnGlo finish that was sitting in his closet unplayed. He had a few other Rick 12s, I think, and this one was getting no use. His generous loss was my gain.

6. weevilcaster

weevilcaster TDPRI Member

I really wanted a Ricky 360 12 with Toasters, but I have big hands and found it very hard to play. I bought a 660 12 and I am very happy with its playability and sound.

I just picked up a used near mint 360 Fireglo 6 string that has stock toasters and I'm really having a lot of fun with it. The 360 6 string is very comfortable to play.

I really think Rickenbacker guitars are very well made and are in a class all their own. Very different than pretty much any other guitar company.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.