1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any love for the Road Worn Telecaster...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jmatheny9529, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Jmatheny9529

Jmatheny9529 TDPRI Member

Have an opportunity to pick up a 2012 road worn tele for a decent price. I was wondering if anyone on here had some helpful reviews or insights?

2. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

There are a few versions of the road worn telecaster. I really like the road worn player.

3. PDman5150

PDman5150 Tele-Meister

I have a road worn modern players telecaster. Came with a Duncan 59 Humbucker in the neck. Can't remember what bridge pick up is. Neck pick up was really muddy no matter how high or low i set it so I ended up going with 500 K pots. It's a solid guitar for what I paid ($500 new). Love the neck on mine. I think you'll enjoy it.

4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I have the later one with less relicing. I think the 2012 has the mechanical over done relicing. I like mine. Great guitar. I put Nocasters in mine.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  5. TeleMan80

TeleMan80 TDPRI Member

I have an early one which has more relicing. Amazing tele - very resonant with a great feeling neck. Mine is stock but I've thought about changing the pickups...time will tell! I don't want to mess with such a great guitar!

Highly recommended!!

Chicago Matt and TeleTown like this.
  6. christhebrit

christhebrit Tele-Holic

Tried a couple with the idea that they'd be cheap versions of nocasters. Got both on eBay a few years back when they were a lot cheaper than now (think I paid under £400 each time)
    Both were a touch heavy and acoustically dead. I tried replacing pickups on one, then sold it. I replaced a few bits on the second to see if I could get anything happening, then sold it on.
    In my view, you can get a better guitar for a lot less money.

7. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

I have owned a few of them and they were all great guitars.I have a 2015 one now and it is the best one I have owned.I like how they toned down the relic'ing very subtly.Mine has a nice lightweight and plays like butter.The pickups sound really good for midline Tex Mex pickups and I have not had the desire to switch them out.I installed brass saddles instead of the stock steel for the more authentic look and sound of an early 1950s style blackguard Tele.I'll never sell this one...certainly one of the best Teles I have ever played!!

[​IMG]

8. Bubblechunk

Bubblechunk TDPRI Member

I got one a year and a half ago and it's my favorite guitar I've owned out of many over 30 years of placing. The neck is the main attraction - love the 7.25 radius with the 6105 frets.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  9. Bubblechunk

Bubblechunk TDPRI Member

10. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

I played one of the newer Blonde RWs in London last year, and was struck how like my CS Nocaster it was. Like sonny said, the relicing wasn't as abrupt as the early ones, more "Closet Classic" than "Heavy Relic". It was light weight, too. But I didn't pull the trigger because I'm not a fan of the 6105 jumbo frets and 7.25" radius the RWs have. If they made a RW Baja (9.5" radius and medium jumbo frets), I'd be all over it!

Chicago Matt likes this.
  11. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

They do

http://www.premierguitar.com/articl...ayer_Series_Telecaster_Electric_Guitar_Review which has a 9.5 radius.

They also make a rosewood fingerboard (RW) 9.5" radius and medium jumbo frets which is the 60s Baja Classic Player. I like that neck a lot (once I've done my own deglossing, nut adjustments et etc.) I like it so much I bouhgt a seprate neck for a partscaster with which I am very happy happy.

12. hymiepab

hymiepab Tele-Meister

I'm a big fan of mine. I put Bill Lawrence Keystones and a McEwen B-bender and it's killer!
    The body is really light and punchy as well....there's quite a few good ones.

Chicago Matt and Surfrby like this.
  13. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

They don't - the RWP has a 6-saddle bridge and a neck humbucker, the Baja does not. Also the 60s Baja is a rosewood fretboard, not maple.

I'm talking 50s Baja, but in Nitro, like the 50s RW.

14. darkwaters

darkwaters Friend of Leo's

Played one recently, but, although it was a really comfortable guitar and I was fine with the relicing, there were just too many things wrong with it that I'd need to address: nut was cut too high, protruding frets, defective E/A saddle and a single coil in the neck (I'm a humbucker guy). At $1200 for a MIM it just wasn't worth it.

15. Tele 2K

Tele 2K Tele-Meister

I just got a new 2016 Ash RW Tele on 1/7. Great Tele. I had a new Am. Standard and exchanged it for this.

The RW has a vibe that defines a vintage Telecaster. I wasn't sure about the tall frets, but I'm adjusting just fine (don't press down too hard), and they are better for bending. I also like the neck. Fuller than the Am Std, and stays in tune much better than the one I had (may be just a bad Am Std.).

The Ash body really vibrates, so the feel is there when playing, the pickups have "attitude" vs the smooth, polite Am. Std pups. Mine is about 7 1/2 lbs, nice medium weight, not too heavy. It really likes heavier strings, I have 10's, but plan to try heavy bottoms next time.

VW

Chicago Matt likes this.
  16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What's your idea of a good price? I wanted to pick up a couple but the price never came down enough to entice me.

The first ones were a little funny looking but were often very nice sounding, playing guitars. Assuming you're looking at the ones with two single coils and not the Road Worn Player that had a thin neck and mismatched pickups - those are right for some people but are probably not what you're talking about.

I can't remember right now, what year was the cutoff for the "moderation" of the relicking on them. Could be a 2012 is one of the "new" style.

Here's the things I would focus on: Is the (slightly thicker than normal) neck right for YOU? Do you like the fretwork on the example you're checking out? (some need attention). Do you mind that the Tex-Mex pickups are a little hot and that the bridge pup has no base plate? Is the one you're looking at too light (some are really light)? Will it bother you to change out the saddles for Fender Compensated Brass (through Darren Riley) if the intonation of the stock saddles can't be made right for you?

The price should be something like $ 550, I guess. Less or more, depending on condition and the region you live in.

Chicago Matt and Surfrby like this.
  17. iluvfender

iluvfender Tele-Meister

The first runs are the best ones. My opinion but a lot of players seem to agree

PigBoy likes this.
  18. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

I agree with this! Doesn't seem to be a popular opinion on here but I shopped around for a Tele for about 6 months, and compared the older RW's with the newer ones on several occasions. I bought one of the early ones for £400, it needed a good setup but it punched well above its weight in terms of sound quality and playability. Check out my instagram (jamjar1984), I kept it stock and I've got a few clips on there with clean tone/dirty tone.

19. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

When I first saw this thread I just glanced quick and got excited because I thought it said "Any love for the Ron Wood Telecaster?" I said..."Ooh, cool didn't know Ronnie had one. Maybe new for 2017!"

Still...Road worn teles are very cool. Never had one. Played a few. Liked em.

20. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

Pretty sure ESP make a Ron Wood signature Tele

RevMike likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.