Any love for the Celestion AlNiCo Gold 12"?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by hongaku, Dec 22, 2012.

1. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

I think there may be one under the tree for me this year and I'm thinking about the best application for it.
    I have a Hot Rod Deluxe III, and a Mesa Blue Angel 1x12 that could take this speaker...I actually am not minding the stock Chinese made Celestion G12P-80 so much in the Hot Rod now that it has broken in, and I'm not entirely unhappy (but not entirely happy either), with the Eminence Red, White & Blues I currently have in my Blue Angel. I also still have the stock Celestion MC-90 "Black Shadow" that came with the Blue Angel - which is also a good speaker that I've considered getting a 1x12 extension cab for...
    What would you do if you had these 4 speakers and these 2 amps to work with?

2. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Tele-Meister

I have one in my LSS and it really made that amp come alive. I think you'll be happy with it in your Blue Angel.

3. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Indeed; that is what I'm leaning towards doing. Thanks for the feedback.

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Have one in DRRI...extra special sound..I would not mix it with another speaker and get it lost in the mix

5. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

When it was introduced, Guitar Player mag tried one out and did a comparison with the Blue. As I recall, they found the Gold very similar to, though not exactly like, the Blue, and recommended it in higher-power applications. I guess I got the impression that while the difference was clear in their studio, it would be negligible in a gigging situation. Can't imagine it would be all that hard to try it in both amps once you've broken it in, it's not like replacing a transmission, right?

6. Inventour

Inventour Tele-Holic

So much love for the Gold,
    I bought my first in June of 2006 for this Deluxe Reverb 1965,
    and it's been great. I then bought them for my Tweed Twin amps.
    They are made in England and sound great. The 80 watt Twins
    really drive the speakers they way they should sound. I use the
    real Silver tinned speaker wire. They are a good investment.
    I played the Twin amp full-blast for well over an hour set and
    no issues. After they break-in they sweeten up a bit, but sound
    great out the box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Awesome, thanks guys. The input is greatly appreciated.

8. blargfromspace

blargfromspace Tele-Afflicted

I tried one in a few amps and found that it could sound nice enough in some, and plain awful in others - one of the awful ones was a Mesa F30. IMO they're not worth the ~$300 they go for.

9. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I had one in an LSS and had the same results. Still have 1 in a Li'l Dawg 5f1 with oversize combo cab and it's my go to 1 knob quick and dirty no frills amp.
    Also have one in a 1-12 cab that I use for an 18 watt Marshall circuit and/ or Jim's Li'l Dawg version of a Blackface DeLuxe and it sounds better(to my ears) than a Weber AlNico silver bell loaded cab or another with a red, white and blues. Both of the latter sound great but on the Tele neck pick-up. the bass gets loose when on the edge of LOUD.

The Blue Angel should be a perfect match with the EL84's or 6V6's. I see good tones on Christmas Morning.:D

10. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

I have one in an Avatar 1x12 cabinet that I've used with a number of amps and it has sounded fantastic with all of them. Shortly after I got it, some friends and I collected as many different 12" speakers as we could and with identical speaker cabinets spent a day doing A/B comparisons, and the Gold was the clear consensus favorite. I'm not familiar with either of your amps specifically, but I think it would be hard to go wrong with a Gold.

It sounds different than most "usual suspects" speakers---I think in a good way, but YMMV.

11. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

As much as I don't like the blue, I do like the Gold. My buddy has one in the cab with an Ugly 18 head. That setup sounds so fine.
    MD

12. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

"They are made in England and sound great."

I always thought they were made in China like the Blues. Can anyone else confirm the country of manufacture?

13. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Total love. Great speaker, but that is not to say that it works in all applications. I just bought a Swart AST Master with one in it and it made all the difference in the world over the G12H30 that was in the same amp that I Use to have thhat I sold becasue it sounded to "restrained" and harsh.

14. MickM

Vicious rumor! The Blues, golds, Heritage series--all the premium speakers have always been and still are made in the UK.

The North American rep for Celestion posts over on TGP and has to dispel that crap every couple weeks.

15. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

No.

Not the 50W alnico Celestion Gold.

The stock G12P-80 is their cheapish Seventy80, it is an 80 watt speaker. It is a sound reinforcement speaker for ex cabs, it does rather well there. Not for a combo. You can do better.

Don't worry about where they're made. Suggest their G12M-65 or G12T-75. The heavy (H) magnet is more punchy.
    Celestion are messing about with their range (again)

16. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Hey, thanks everyone for the replies and opinions. As I suspected, there was indeed a Celestion Gold under the tree for me on Christmas morning courtesy of my parents, which was actually quite a surprise since I'd thought my wife was the culprit after telling me to stop speaker browsing online a few weeks before Christmas (though I suspect she still had something to do with it); thanks Mom & Dad!
    I decided to put it in my Mesa Blue Angel and have been rather enjoying breaking it in. It is worlds different than the Red, White & Blues (which I'm now contemplating either selling or putting in the Hot Rod Dlx...probably will end up selling it though - PM me if you're interested, it's all broken in and in perfect shape and has not that many hours on it really, it's just not the speaker for me). I'm really, really impressed with how "sweet" the Gold sounds already in the high end - not spiky or ice picky at all. Also, it looks very nice sitting in the amp - not that how it looks is relevant at all, but as an aside, this is perhaps the most aesthetically pleasing speaker I've ever seen. I haven't plugged the speaker lead into the Hot Rod yet, as I'm almost afraid that I'll like it so much that I'll want to put a Gold in it too - which considering this one was a gift, and then considering how much these things cost...well, let's just say my folks are much better off financially speaking than I am and it would be difficult for me to quickly come up with the scratch to buy one on my own ;)
    That does lead to my only complaint about this speaker thus far - why in the name of all things good and holy does this speaker warrant such a high price tag? It sounds great to me, no doubt, but if I hadn't been given this as a gift, I'm not sure I would ever have bit the bullet on my own and tried one out for myself! Nonetheless, I'm going to start saving now because I'm pretty sure I'm going to "need" at least one or two more of these down the road (extension cab anyone?).

17. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

Well, Alnico is pretty expensive these days, that's part of the cost. I suspect that if someone chose, they could engineer a ceramic-driven speaker that could mimic an Alnico one without much difficulty, but there's an entire industry that's driven by the ability to market 2 speaker lines, and there's no reason to shoot themselves in the foot, is there?

I'm sure the Celestion name plays into the equation, as well. Being made in the UK must have some impact...if one compares the cost of 'the same speakers' made in both the UK & China, there's a serious (75%~ish) price difference.

18. MickM

That extension cab thing is no joke. I have one gold in a combo, one in a Mesa cab and one still in the box. Not a cheap venture but look at the price of the Eminence Red Fang. (their version of a Gold?) Damn near identical.

Bullseye!

19. akukulich

akukulich Tele-Meister

I've got a 12" Gold in my Hayseed 30 and a Gold 10" in my '69 Princeton and I couldn't be happier with both of them. I think they both sound great.

20. Inventour

Inventour Tele-Holic

Congrats you guys on the Gold ALNiCo, one of my favorite speakers for sure.
    Depending how loud you play, it will take a good 4-10 hours of playing-time to really
    break them in good. But they do sound great out the box.

I have some extra stock of the Golds (Sealed) for 250 a pop, 8 or 16 ohm. PM me if you want any.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.