Any love for the Ampeg BA-115 V2 combo?

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by Craig Williams, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Tele-Meister

Pulled the trigger on one of these today (V2), got a good price as they are end of line now. Just wondering if they talk the talk? Been a bit confused last few days nearly bought a Peavey rated 400w Tour TKO which turns out to only be 150 watts and many manufacturers seem to be playing smoke and mirrors.

Firstly is the BA-115 V2, rated at 150 watts a genuine 150w output? I know this isn't huge and most of its playing life will be in the home, but if I do get the odd gig it will be in a very small restaurant or bar. They are supposed to have quiet a reasonable output most stating small to medium sized venue.

Have they proved themselves ok over the years? A local guy had a used older 100w version for sale at the same price as the new 150 w V2. His US made and the newer BA-115 V2 is made in China. He was claiming it was much better and worth the same as a new one as its US. Are the new Chinese ones as good? Anyway this seemed to be the only thing around that met all my needs including being relatively light at 20kg with a useable output. Are they a good punchy sound? I got a 62 RI Jazz bass and lean towards the older thud thud tone. Not into slapping or anything. Is it quite ok to LINE out to a PA? I hear everyone saying you can do it but never see anyone actually do it. I imagine if it was that easy people would be just carting small rigs around with them and doing that. Any feedback appreciated

2. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I was looking at one but ended up getting a PF800. I like the line out. Sounds great into a recorder. Carry it with one hand. Way more than I will ever need.

Similar "marketing", it's only 800 watts if you use 2- 4 ohm cabinets. 400 into 1-8 ohm. Plenty for me to have deep clean lows.

Not the same thing, of course. But close? Don't know.

3. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’ve had one for a while. It’s been a great practice amp and I used it on some gigs with a classic rock band in small/medium venues and it was adequate. There may be better amps, but for the money it’s hard to beat IMHO. While not an extreme light weight at 45 lbs. it’s not too heavy.

4. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I can't speak to the BA115 (2nd Version) specifically, but I do know that Ampeg has manufactured consistently great & reliable bass amps for many years.

I bought the Ampeg BA110 (2nd Version) last year, used, in a Cullman pawn shop.
    Got it for a resonable price, brought it home, and was thoroughly impressed.
    It's designed in the USA, and manufactured in China.
    Eight years old, and I got it in brand-new condition.

I really like the tones, and I am taken with the quality of construction and the fact that you can crank it up, and the cabinet doesn't rattle or go fizzy on you. My fretless bass sounds fabulous thru it, and my workhorse ESP LTD B-50 bass is right at home with the Ampeg.

Offers nice clean tones for six string guitar too, as you can imagine.
    In fact, I would gladly take it to a gig as my main guitar amp, and push my pedalboard signal thru it, mic'ed to the mains.

:)

[​IMG]

my bass rig 2.jpg

5. Craig Williams

I nearly bought a Peavey Tour TKO 400w combo, which turns out to be 150w by the way. It was 75kg and awkward as anything but the looks of it to carry. two man job for sure. 45lb sounds great to me :)

6. Craig Williams

A guitar amp? Really? I wouldn't have thought a Bass amp would be anywhere near suitable. Maybe for one of these new pedal / Amp / Cab sim things I guess

7. Happy Enchilada

Happy Enchilada Tele-Holic

I am starting on bass. If this can be used for guitar or bass (I have a POD XT for guitar, so all I need is a clean output device), it might be the gal for me.

However, the Tech 21 Double Deuce is great for guitar or bass, about half the weight, and rated @ 200 W. For the same $$$. May go that way.

8. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Actually, most bass amps are perfectly suitable guitar amps.
    Especially for players who want a nice, fat clean base thru which they might push their pedalboard signal.

As I recall, the Fender Bassman was (and still is) a sought-after performance guitar amp.

;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.