Any love for Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro pickups?

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
I have had this set on two Teles and really like them. I have them on my current Squier and find myself picking that guitar up as much or more than my Fender with Twisted Tele pickups. They really have a sweetness to them. Add the Boss CS-2 compressor and the Alnico 2 Pro neck pickup really sings.The bridge is balanced with the neck and I use that if I want to keep clean. The Twisted Tele bridge pickup is good for pushing an amp into overdrive so it is nice to have both set of options.

Last edited:

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I had a spare Classic Vibe Tele neck and I couldn't have that so I bought a body and a set of SD Alnico II Pro pickups.

Definite love here for the tone I am getting from them! :cool:

20211211_232634500_iOS.jpg

I also have another Classic Vibe with Fender Twisted Tele pickups in it. Another great set of pickups!

20210828_175938171_iOS.jpg

'64 Tele

Tele-Afflicted
I had it narrowed down to a set of the Alnico Pro II and Broadcaster set.
I went with the Alnico Pro II, but wished I'd gone with the Broadcaster set.

ScottJPatrick

Friend of Leo's
I use an Alnico II in the neck of my '75 Tele, been there for about 30 years, love it. Had the bridge too for a while, nice sounding pickup but not enough bite for what I need playing live. I think SD describe it as 'spongy' and very musical, great sounding for clean and has an almost compressed sound, does what it does very well.

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Are we talking about SD's alnico 2 pro tele pickups? I have the neck in my tele now, and it will stay. This is the second guitar I've put it in, but I've never tried the alnico 2 pro bridge. I want to try a new bridge pickup, so I'm curious about it.

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
I had it narrowed down to a set of the Alnico Pro II and Broadcaster set.
I went with the Alnico Pro II, but wished I'd gone with the Broadcaster set.
Why is that? I never played a guitar with the Broadcaster pickups.

I got my first set because I found a used set and didn't want to put a lot of money into the Squier. It doesn't have the twangy country sound (nothing wrong with that). The sound warmer.

'64 Tele

Tele-Afflicted
Why is that? I never played a guitar with the Broadcaster pickups.

I got my first set because I found a used set and didn't want to put a lot of money into the Squier. It doesn't have the twangy country sound (nothing wrong with that). The sound warmer.

My old 64 Tele had a SD Broadcaster in the bridge. It was a warm, slightly hot Tele pickup that sounded good for playing country or "rawk" (nod to Unknown Hinson).

The Alnico Pro II just don't do "it" for me.
Honestly, the stock Tex Mex pickups in my Deluxe Nashville were better.

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
Are we talking about SD's alnico 2 pro tele pickups? I have the neck in my tele now, and it will stay. This is the second guitar I've put it in, but I've never tried the alnico 2 pro bridge. I want to try a new bridge pickup, so I'm curious about it.
Yes. I edited the title to be clear.

Bourbon Burst

Tele-Meister
FWIW the EVH Wolfgang PUS are Alnico 2 and 44 gauge wire and sound incredible. My current fav humbuckers.
I used to have the Wolfgang and didn't know they were Alnico 2 pickups. I liked the bridge pickup but didn't think the neck was very musical. I put a SD 59 in there and that helped imho.

drmordo

Friend of Leo's
I used to have the Wolfgang and didn't know they were Alnico 2 pickups. I liked the bridge pickup but didn't think the neck was very musical. I put a SD 59 in there and that helped imho.

I love them both, but I play fairly low gain blues fusion stuff. They sound a lot like crazy hot Tele PUs to me. They both have a cocked wah-ish sound I can't get enough of. I have a Wolfgang Special, a Tele Deluxe loaded with them, and I have a set I'm putting my my 70s Les Paul Custom.

EVH Special Chlorine.jpg
telecaster gray.jpg
les paul.jpg

DisharmonicDark99

TDPRI Member
Definitely a fan of the A II Pro Tele set! The bridge has this warmth to it that balances nicely with the expected twang, just sounds beautiful when playing clean with some 'verb. I've also got an HH configured Tele that I have the Alnico II Pro humbucker in the neck and it's one of my favorite neck tones I've gotten from a humbucker. The Tele is chambered and the pickup just seems to really bring out the best attributes of that body's tone.

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I had a set of A2Pro's in one of my Teles for a while. They're very clean and clear. I ended up pulling them because I found them to be too "polite" in their tone.