1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any love for Lucinda?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by mudshark, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

"Car Wheels On A Gravel Road" = MASTERPIECE

Love the Lucinda.

2. choosymothers

choosymothers Tele-Meister

i don't know his name but the new guitarist used to play in an L.A band call JackS%#t or the Jacks^*Ts- not a very good name but i heard he rips it up

3. Blue

Blue Tele-Afflicted

I have to agree about her voice, its like shes drunk, maybe she is :eek:

4. Sidney Vicious

Sidney Vicious Friend of Leo's

Big fan here - love her songs and her voice - there's some very sexy and suggestive stuff in those lyrics - and she surrounds herself with top musicians.

5. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, more love for Lucinda. Car Wheels is a classic record.
    Saw her a couple of times with Pettibone and he killed. Amazingly tasteful player. Haven't heard her new guitar player. I have read stories that she's not the easiest person to work with.

6. ToadLC

ToadLC Tele-Meister

I just saw her again last month with Chrissie Hynde. Lucinda rocked. There is something in her music that rings true for me.

7. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

shes got savvy...

rand z

8. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

We were lucky enough to get into the taping of an interview for BBC during the Americana Music Conference. After the interview Lucinda played some of the songs from the upcoming CD.

She's an amazing writer, but it's her delivery that sells the songs. It's so honest she could sing a phone book and you'd believe every word.

(We were also lucky enough to talk to Lucinda after the show. Christina knew her from back in the day in LA. They played a lot of the same places and still keep up with the same old friends.)

9. djphelan01

djphelan01 Tele-Holic

I never heard of Gurf. After watching that video and several more of his I am now a fan. he is a great songwriter.

10. allen st. john

allen st. john Friend of Leo's

11. StephenX

StephenX Banned

I haven't kept up much with Lucinda after he left the band (I know, I've missed a lot of good things). He is a real down to earth compassionate soul who also plays a mean guitar. I've wondered why they parted, maybe because of Lucinda's infuriating ways, like taking forever to release new material. She is probably a perfectionist who has ADD, and thats a bad combination.
    Her speaking voice is the same as her vocals, I don't think she's drunk.

Where is Alex W? I want to know what city he travels 1,600 RT to see her.

12. choosymothers

choosymothers Tele-Meister

if you love gurf, check out mary gauthier's "mercy now"- great great tone on that one, very dark

13. Madsen

Madsen TDPRI Member

Big love for Lucinda. saw her live in Sweden and Denmark, with Doug Pettibone, great player, to bad he's gone. He didn't play much Tele though, more Gretsch and Gibson. I played Live at Fillmore a million time, great CD.

14. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

To answer the first question I did get to see her close home in a solo performance. (which by the way was not as great as it could have been because the sound guy cranked her up too loud.) to the second question, Google maps tells me that I over estimated the distance quite a lot to Raleigh and back. It was a longer trip overall with side trip but even so but i don't think it was quite 1600 miles after all. The show in Raleigh was with the full band and it was amazing. The only downside was having to stand on concrete floor for a long time before the show even started. (maybe to my feet it felt like I had walked 800 miles.)

15. StephenX

StephenX Banned

Yeh, that will do it. That's still a longdam trip though through the mountains and everything....but it is worth it. The best show I ever saw by her was a sound check. Full band on stage, Lucinda did almost everything on Sweet Old World for the soundman to get it right. I was the onliest one in the club (I snuck in when a waitress left the door cracked) and talked with her for a long time before the show started. The show was almost a letdown after that:)

16. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

Well I was visiting old friends in NC too. I don't think it would have been much fun to drive a long way all by myself to see a show in some random city, staying in a motel, etc. As it was, the show the centerpiece to a great little mini-vacation.

One thing I remember most about the show was how certain songs that were kinda so-so to me on record really were great live, and ever since then I have liked the recordings better. She opened with "Metal Firecracker," and the chorus with those interesting harmonies just blew me away. Ever since then it has been one of my favorite L.W. songs. Love the guitar solo too. Her band sounded so good live. They were obviously seasoned pros, but it wasn't like they sounded balanced and polished at the expense of spontaneity or passion. It was just everything that a live rock show should be.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.