Any love for Explorers?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by SachaPlusDeluxe, Oct 26, 2014.

1. SachaPlusDeluxe

SachaPlusDeluxe Tele-Meister

I'm going to trade my Charvel San Dimas I for something this week and the local music store has a second hand 2008 explorer in stock which has taken my fancy.

Anyone out there got one. I think they have 496r and 500t Carnatic pups in them.

2. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

That's a pretty standard pickup combo that they used in a lot Gibsons over the past 20 years. Should pretty much sound and play like a Les Paul. Same neck and components, just a different body shape (minus the binding and inlays). The Flying V is pretty much the same thing.

Personally, I've had a few strangely shaped guitars and have ended up disliking them for their awkwardness and the fact that you can't put them in a stand.

3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Not got one - but would love one in natural.

I have a fret king esprit that is a bit like a toned down explorer shape. I've loved Explorers but I think my wife would think my mid life crisis had deepened if I got one that was fully spiky! Not sure if I'd have the nerve to take it to a gig either.

I've always wanted one or an older Ibanez Destroyer. I remember drooling over them as a teen and the Moderne.

4. Octave Doctor

Octave Doctor Tele-Afflicted

I had a first issue Destroyer, really liked it, almost as comfortable to play as a Strat. The store I got it from also had a Gibson, so I did a side by side check. Gibson was made from more pieces of wood and was heavier than the Ibanez and almost twice the money.

5. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I always liked the look... they look good on stage. I mentioned getting one a couple a years ago to my bandmate and he told me I'd also have to grow a mullet...

6. twick

twick Tele-Meister

Never liked the look of them, then I played one, still didn't like em.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

7. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

My Epi is my go to right now.
    [​IMG]

8. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

Cool guitars with a lively midrange. I love Flying Vs for the same reason.

9. majorbugout

majorbugout Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

10. Sandia Man

Sandia Man Tele-Meister

I love Explorers, but you gotta have a complementary body style yourself or you look all dorkville on stage

11. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

I love Explorers, but have into yet managed to work one into my collection. I was not a fan of that pickup set in my LP, but that's a personal matter and one easily rectified by the user. I put Pearly Gates in my LP, which I think sound better, but less versatile, than the stock set.

I once 'knew' a fellow that swore they sounded quite different from LPs AND Vs due to the much larger piece of wood they're made from. If you 're not afraid to try one, I'd highly recommend it.

Important question: If you don't bond with it, will you be able to get your money back out of it?

12. Gareth John

Gareth John Tele-Afflicted

I have a '76 reissue in black. It is perfectly set up and sounds great. The neck is great, no low quality gibson binding or nibs to worry about hahaha. It balances well on the knee and strap and has great upper fret access. The sound is big too, pickups may not be what you're used to if you enjoy regular alnico pafs. Mine is an '02 with brown and pink case. One of my favourite guitars ever.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.