1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any love for DiMarzio Air Classics and/or PAF 36th Anniversary pickups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by TeleAndSG, Jun 20, 2020.

1. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Hello.

I bought a DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary brigde HB and a DiMarzio Air Classic neck pup for my Korina PRS SE Singlecut.

Iˋm waiting for the guitar tech to call me, so I can pick it up and play it!.

I would be grateful if you share your experiences with these pickups.

I donˋt own a ´59 Les Paul, so I cannot tell if they sound close to authentic PAF pickups, but for me at least, they seem to have the right output and EQ.

Thanks.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  2. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I had a Lotus LP back in the 80's with the Dimarzio PAF's. Loved that guitar, had a great sound to it.

TeleAndSG likes this.
  3. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

I used to like high output pickups only, until I got a chance to play an SG with 490´s a few years ago, and discovered the "control" over your tone you can get with vintage output pups.

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Some guitars need a high output pickup and some do better with low output. Gotta have the right height adjustment on every guitar for the right blend of tone and output response with whatever pickup you have, makes all the difference in the world.

BB and TeleAndSG like this.
  5. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

I know. Jakcson Dinky style guitars seem to benefit a lot from fat, screaming humbuckers, since they are smaller body Superstrats.
    LP style guitars are a different beast.

Zepfan likes this.
  6. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I have 36th Annies in my main guitar.

They’re not my favorite pickup ever, but they’re good pickups and they’re versatile. They sound very good split, which is a plus since I have coil splitters.

They have a warmer midrange than I typically associate with my favorite PAF tones which tend to be more scooped and chirpy with a lot of bite, doesn’t have a lot of that. But it makes them good for rock and the neck pickup is really warm for jazzy and full blues tones.

Honestly I’ve done so much pickup swapping over the years I’m kind of sick of it. So even though they’re not my favorite I’m not in a hurry to swap them, I’ve had them for like 5 or 6 years so there’s that. They work for what I do and sound good.

Zepfan, rowla and TeleAndSG like this.
  7. Gclef

Gclef TDPRI Member

I have a set in my ltd ec401v.

I really like them. They are warmer and thicker sounding than the run of the mill paf.

naveed211 and TeleAndSG like this.
  8. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I haven’t personally tried the 36th anni’s, but I like what I’ve heard. I’ve used the Air Classics. I had a pair of them in a Flying V that were great. Low output, very dynamic, lots of clarity. I’d use them again if I needed low output buckers.

TeleAndSG likes this.
  9. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

The Air Classics are a it scooped and perhaps closer to PAF territory. The 36th Anniversary perhaps are thought for rock

Gclef and naveed211 like this.
  10. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

congratulations on owning a such a nice guitar. I'm a dyed in the wool fan boy. , ave been for decades.
    I think if you read around about their PAF pick ups you'll get some good pointers , Larry and crew have a batch of different PAF Pick ups.

TeleAndSG likes this.
  11. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Thank you. I know they have a lot of PAF inspired products. I picked up these particular two, because I like clarity in the neck positio, and something a bit more robust in the bridge.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  12. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have a humbucker from hell in my lap steel and if there was ever a pick up that was poorly named this is the one, it does great bridge position tones and when it gets edgy it's P_90 sweet I am very pleased with it . again when down low it's sweet sweet sweet . turned up it's rock and roll.

richiek65 and TeleAndSG like this.
  13. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

It is named like that because it´s very bright, and the DiMarzio states something like: don´t say we didinˋt warn you if you put it in the bridge position.

However I say a you tuber putting it in the bridge position of an LP. Yes itˋs bright, but it´s not hellish at all :)

It´a also a great neck humbucker.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  14. StuartJames

StuartJames Tele-Meister

I have those exact pickups in my Les Paul, I think they have a great classic rock sound and work very well together. The air classic in the neck does indeed have an airy sound. You’ll be happy I think

TeleAndSG likes this.
  15. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

I've heard that the 36th anniversay pickups may not be quite PAF like (the classics may be better at that), but yes, they are "Gibsonish" indeed.

16. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Had a 36th Anniversary in the necknof my tele and I thought it was great, but went back to a single coil. It worked fine with a 250K pot, which is why i tried it (@lineboat told me it would and he was right)

TeleAndSG likes this.
  17. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have a 36th Anniversary neck in my Tele, bridge is SD Little '59. Like it very much. Earlier neck humbucker was overly hot, now there's more character and sweetness.

Also nice when splitted.

TeleAndSG likes this.
  18. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

I suppose itˋs better to have a S/S setup. I once tried a single bridge and a Wide Range HB nech setup, and found it to be a bit unbalanced (especially in the cleans).

Bruxist likes this.
  19. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

In the end I went for an Air Classic neck and PAF 36th Anniversary bridge combination. Eagerly waiting to pickup myu guitar.

Bruxist likes this.
  20. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I am just more of a single-coil guy (at least in voicing). And I only have the one tele, so I thought I would go more traditional.

TeleAndSG likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.