1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Any love for baritone guitars?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by drewsblues, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Tele-Monster

Tele-Monster Friend of Leo's

I'd love one, but I play in a 3 piece band and I'm not sure I could make it work in that arrangement.

2. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

I've owned 2 baritones. The first was a PRS Mike Mushok, which I sold, and currently I own an Eastwood Sidejack DLX.

The Sidejack is higher quality, but both sound amazing.

I keep it tuned B-B, and it just sings. There's something about a baritone that just makes you want to sit & play for hours. It sounds silly, because all you're doing is playing the exact same stuff in a lower range, but there's something intangible about it that makes it special.

I'm not a baritone snob, I'd never pay a ton of money for one (got my Eastwood for $375), but if you have a chance to get one at a decent price I would before is buy another regular electric guitar. I would highly recommend an amp with a 12" speaker, I think an 8" or 10" just doesn't do the baritone justice.

It works particularly well in a band situation with other electric guitars, because it sits right between the guitars & bass, without getting in the way of either. Also, if your band tries to avoid using the same amps/guitars (2 Teles, 2 Marshall's, etc) to keep the guitars from running together, this is a good solution for that as well. Our band used to have 2 guys playing Tele's through Blues Jr's, which really made our tones difficult to separate. However, I started playing the baritone through my Blues Jr and it completely solved the problem.

Obviously I'm a fan, you can't hardly go wrong with a baritone. That being said, I've read VERY mixed reviews in the Fender Blacktop Baritones. My PRS was used & fairly beat up, had a hard time staying in tune, hardware seemed cheap... My eastwood is much nicer, came with a Bigsby-esque bridge/tremolo, all-around nice guitar.

3. Bigsnaketex

Bigsnaketex Tele-Meister

I've got a Gretsch Baritone in the 30" scale. . . it's a silver sparkle jet and it sounds great with a full band.

I seems to offer a whole 'nother dimension in layering sounds to me but I would never play it as the only guitar player though. Just use it to blend with. . .

I even tried to tune it standard with baritone strings but that was a muddy mess.

4. dbickford

dbickford Tele-Afflicted

Not really. But I do have a hankering to bolt up a short 24 3/4 scale Partscaster someday.

And string it up with 7-38 Reverend Willys.

5. JohnnyLarge

JohnnyLarge TDPRI Member

6. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Afflicted

As someone who picked up guitar after learning to play ukulele, I've often thought of getting a baritone, and tuning it A to A. No need to transpose all the uke chords I've learned!

7. MrBitey

MrBitey TDPRI Member

Ooh that Setzer's good!

8. mrkenny

mrkenny Former Member

9. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a Dano '63 Bari I got cheap at a guitar show. It had some fret problems. Had it PLEK'd and now I'd put it against anything. While the '63 is a hair neck heavy (but it weighs in at Dano weights so it's hardly awful) it is perhaps the twangiest instrument on earth. I love it through a DR or Vox Pathfinder.

10. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

My Eastwood baritone is for sale if anyone is interested, feel free to message me.

11. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

The first song I'd play if I owned a baritone.

Glen used Carol Kaye's Dano Long Horn baritone on the recording, though he's using a Fender VI here.

12. Sc0tch

Sc0tch TDPRI Member

I have prs baritone and the tones are pretty cool. I play heavier music so lower is better right? The cleans on it are really cool too since you get a darker overall tone. Never played the fender, but I'm sure you would still get those cool chord sounds. Also I saw that warmoth sells baritone necks, is it really that simple to just put on a tele body or do other mods have to occur.?

13. rmjdees

rmjdees TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

It's as simple as that. You may have to intonate it and raise/lower the bridge saddles.

I bought a squire with a warmoth neck. I put it onto a Mexican power Nashville.

14. JebDude

JebDude TDPRI Member

Baritone a 'one-trick pony'? I think Bill Kirchen has about seven minutes worth to say about that. Though I confess I'm not 100% he's playing a bari in this cut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77Rl1zNIpzg

JB

15. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That's just his old "noburst" Tele. I did see him do a gig where he said he forgot his baritone and used a standard Tele tuned down a full step and then given a "dropped D" tuning ("Dropped C" I guess) and used that instead. Definitely works in a pinch.

16. quedecree

quedecree TDPRI Member

This was done with the Fender Blacktop Baritone Tele: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=913925&songID=12704519

All the guitars (clean/bass/lead etc) were done with the Tele through an Line6 HD 300. I'm really enjoying the Tele - it's not so deep that you can't treat it like a normal guitar and it's got a good neck, reasonable pups and really nice finish. I've put hipshot griplocks tuners on it - (I think the guitar deserved much better tuners than stock) and 14-68 d'addario strings. Overall, I'm quite pleased with it. I think I could have a lot of fun with a floyd-rose equipped version..... :)

17. Itwang

Itwang Tele-Meister

Check out my Logan Tuxedo Baritele. Looks like a tele, but more low down twang! 28.5 inch scale, 4-way switch, Dimarzio Twang Kings, mmmmm.......love it. Sure ain't no one trick pony. I play all styles of music on it, fingers, picks, it just don't matter no how. It also loves my pedals. I think of it as a capo in reverse, if you follow me......

Attached Files:

18. Itwang

Itwang Tele-Meister

Damn, it won't show all the pictures.

Attached Files:

19. flinx

flinx Tele-Meister

+1

20. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

I have a 30"bari (OLP MM knockoff with SD Jazz pickups)), but I use it in an unusual way. I have it strung with 13-56 and tuned to open D or C for slide, and I have a conversion capo (shown in the pic) to use it as a lap steel. I even put an inlay at the 14th fret to act as a secondary octave marker when capoed at the 2nd fret:

[​IMG]

In many ways it is comparable to Ry Cooder's use of a bari that came up in a recent thread, it seems to have tonal advantages. I used it as my electric slide guitar at gigs for a long time, mostly as a lap steel, and the audiences seemed to like it.

I spite of the long scale, it is overall only about 1/2" longer than my strat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.