Any Long Time Musicians here think about Quitting?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 2HBStrat, Apr 25, 2020.

1. arlum

arlum Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I'll live without playing shortly after I've figured out how to live without breathing. 1st things 1st.

2. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

Perish the thought! I'll give up my Guild guitar when they pry my cold dead fingers off the frets (so they can bury me with it.)

dogrocketp and Bill Sheehan like this.
  3. sloppychops

sloppychops Tele-Meister

I quit for a couple years in the early '90s and sold a couple guitars I should never have sold.

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  4. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Can't quit, as it's a part of my mental-health wellness program, along with tae kwon do, walking, reading, etc.

Still have gigs on the books for this year, so we'll play it by ear ... which'n I've always done, since I don't read music ...

5. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In my area of Florida, there is really no money in playing music..it has to be viewed as a hobby...recreation for the soul. The few musicians I know that make any significant money from music get it from teaching as a full time job. Playing is just extra pocket change to fund the hobby...

6. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Never ever

7. dcos

dcos Tele-Meister

I don't think I'll ever quit playing, but playing out live, maybe. I did retire from gigging for 12 years, I was a keyboardist/singer for 25 years but started learning guitar a few years back when I turned 60. Just recently started with a band again but at 66 my motivation to play live just isn't the same. We played one gig and then the quarantine hit and I'm not really sure if I want to get back at it. Late nights and load in/outs are not my thing anymore. It doesn't help that the quality of the band is not up to what I retired from either.

Lance Morgan and Bill Sheehan like this.
  8. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Meister

I was actually planning to go to jam sessions, and try to get in a band or do some solo open mic's. Haven't played with others consistently since high school. No chance of that happening any time soon so just getting better at home and writing more material. The lockdown will end at some point. :)

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  9. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

At 68 I am playing more than at any time since I started gigging in 1968.

10. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

I knocked the gigs on the head about 4 years ago,mostly because I wanted to work and record my own music. I found when I was out a lot all my creative energy/interest in recording had gone.

I went into a writing/recording frenzy for a couple of years,but things have settled down into a more relaxed and more enjoyable routine. It's not totally solitary,as I frequently collaborate with others online,so There weren't too many withdrawal symptoms from gigging.

I'm still in regular contact with folk I played with and nothing is forever,but at the moment I don't see myself stepping back on the treadmill.

If I needed the money,things would be different and I really feel for those impacted by the current lockdown. The uncertainty is the killer.

11. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I stopped trying to earn my living from it when I was 26. Great decision.

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  12. Bill Sheehan

Bill Sheehan Tele-Meister

You are so right, HB. I was thinking as I fell asleep last night... looking back over the last 66 years, and allowing for the idea that certain PEOPLE in our lives (and in many instances, certain occupations) bring us a depth of happiness that's kind of in a category of its own... it's pretty clear to me that music and the GUITAR (and the ukulele too, which is what I began on) have been the greatest source of happiness in my life... so if there's a little "ebb and flow" to it, so be it. It would be silly, I now realize, to just walk away from it. Maybe the best thing to do is to keep that guitar close at hand, don't force anything, just pick it up when you feel the inclination, and know that, if there are times where you're just not feelin' it, that's not a problem, it'll be right there waiting for you, a friend for life.

13. Bill Sheehan

Hahahahahaha! Love it! I can hear the funeral director now... "Damn, he's locked on a first-position F !!"

Lance Morgan and dogrocketp like this.
  14. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

No way. At 72 it's about the last pleasure I haven't had to give up.

15. Bill Sheehan

Hmmmm... seeing a pattern there... please don't tell us you're 6' 8" ...

16. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don’t understand. I would KILL to have your talent and the ability to perform in front off an audience in a band. I’ll bet you can write too.
    For me, noodling around with my “Lawyer” gear in a spare bedroom singing Beatles, Bad Finger and Eagles songs off-key to myself, I can only dream of being able to do what you do. And I dream often. Then I listen to a recording of myself. Believe me, that’s a rude awakening.
    No one can define why music has the effect it does on people but it’s magical, or ethereal or,.., where’s my thesaurus?

You’ve been given a Gift. Treat it with the gratitude respect and appreciation it deserves.

Or bottle it and send me a six pack.

17. newminglewoodblue

newminglewoodblue Tele-Meister

I've never been in 3 bands at once, but you might be a bit crispy after such a grind. The only time I considered quitting was Chinese New Year 1994. I was at a Dead show in Oakland, about 10 feet in front of Jerry (I was blazing hot btw). I've seen alot of Dead shows, but Jerry was on fire & was extending solos and did a supplication jam in the middle of Uncle John's that made me cry (hit me like a freight train). During the 5 hour drive home, arriving at daybreak, I was thinking "what's the point". I felt like I had witnessed about all that could be done with the neck of a guitar, and was so humbled hanging it up seemed appropriate. After a good snooze, I woke up feeling refreshed and energized. Playing music is part of me, and I felt lucky to have pushed things as far as I had (better than nearly everyone I know but still far from glory). I decided to be just me. I focused on programming drum beats with a bass line, wiggle in a few chops along with some steady rhythm, sing because I love to not because I'm any good, and keep the journey going. Long story? yes! Moral: be yourself. Music is part of you. Whether you listen, watch, or join the fun by playing you will never "Quit". I've also picked up a cello & a mandolin along the way which were splendid distractions and forced me to actually learn some music.

18. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Holic

I am working on a getting a band going. I have been meeting with a drummer and learning songs.

Bill Sheehan likes this.
  19. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

Been playing about 50 years now & I don't think I've ever made a nickel. Why stop now?

20. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Meister

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    For me it's all about moderation. If I go whole hog on anything I eventually burn out on it or lose interest. I never did the 3 band thing but for a while I was in 2, and that was 1 too many I found out.
    These days I'm lucky as I play with 2 other guys that are pretty much in line with my way of thinking. We like to play, enjoy gigging but are very fussy about what types of gigs we'll play (meaning we won't book it if it's not over by midnight latest). Although that has decreased the number of gigs available to us it has also kept us together. So for all those looking to bag it, do what you feel you have to do. When the Moose, Elks, Knights are back and open, we'll be there playing. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.